Comments

Comments

Postby Wizardawn » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:56 pm

I read over most of the rules and have a few comments...

1. Zangid does not roll off the tongue very well. Is it like "dang"?
2. Taurans and Terrans are too similar in "words" and could be misheard at a table. Maybe simply Humans? Earthens?
3. Time Travel stuff is great!
4. Space combat is simple...in a good way.
5. Charts for artifacts later?
6. “Running the Galaxy” so needed to be written in this book.

#6 is not sarcasm, but just a reflection on how many game masters suffer from analysis paralysis when dealing with a canned world. The book is looking good as it has the MF/LL organization and feel to it. The promotion system introduces a simple "skill system" to the game and can easily be used with a MF game. I think an example game session would be good, similar to LL...for people new to the Star Ship genre. There is not much more to say since much of it is similar to the solid games of LL/MF. I can already see an LL version of Spelljammer coming from this somehow. This would also be good for having MF adventures where mutants find space ships and continue adventures into space. I am not much of a critic as I am a fan of the books and layouts already so you basically had me at "LL/MF Compatible". This is all exciting stuff.
Wizardawn

Re: Comments

Postby Koren n'Rhys » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:01 pm

Just a perfunctory glance-through while at work...

I noticed the headings in the Strength table are wrong (still templates) and where is the Zangid as a PC race? For a next generation game, they should be a playable race. I need my Klingons! :)

Can't wait to read in more detail.

EDIT: Got to read in more detail and realized the ability modifier are consolidated on that one chart and refer to the different columns, so ignore that comment. :|
Last edited by Koren n'Rhys on Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Obligatory Blogroll:
Kingdoms in Trevail for my RC D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"
RetroCyberpunk where I work on a Shadowrun retro-clone[/size]
Koren n'Rhys

Postby Methuslah » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:43 pm

Had a first read-through – looks great, and I can't wait to play it! A few thoughts occur, nothing major...

Any chance of half-breed races? I know someone will want to play a Half-Tauran/Terran at some point...

What about a random name table for the major races? Could be extremely useful either for PCs or NPCs.

For ships, what about a dedicated science/exploration ship, around the level of the frigate – either for a 'first command' or as the 'ship that got into trouble of the week'.

On the subject of ship names, I'm afraid my inner military geek is taking over here...so bear with! If it is a military fleet, I see the 'astronomers' as being a bit out of place; I'd recommend replacing with famous admirals/generals instead. Instead of constellations and stars for dreadnoughts, how about 'famous warships' instead? (Glenn has two n's, btw.)

On ships – I might suggest a slight alternation.

Ensign/Sub-Lieutenant: Frigate/Science Vessel
Lieutenant/Lt. Cmdr: Destroyer
Commander/Captain: Cruiser
Commodore: Battle Cruiser
Admiral: Dreadnought

I know someone is going to ask about shuttles and fighters, so I'll throw my hand in! I see notes on 'Drone Stingers' but there aren't any stats listed.

For illustrations, what about a chart of ranks?

Really looking forward to the conversion notes for Labyrinth Lord – I'm already pondering moving over some of the more unusual creatures from there. OK, I'm probably going to end up putting the 'Orc Empire' on the map, and yes, I want my Space Dwarves! Any chance of a couple of sample conversions – if there is, I'll flag 'Dwarves' and 'Vampires'. One PC race, one monster. (So I'm an old Squat fan from Warhammer 40k...)

Know I've said a lot here, but you've hooked me – this is the S*** T*** game I've been wanting to run for years, and I'm shockingly close to finally being able to do it. Crossing fingers very hard that this one meets its target!

Richard
Methuslah

Postby Goblinoid Games » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:47 pm

Thanks everyone, as we go along I'll be keeping these comments in mind. Re: fighters, the "Trek" feel is more about the larger ships instead of Star Wars for example, where you have small fighters. I'll take a look at the stingers, they are a holdover from 1e.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby xmanowarx » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:55 am

including rules for fighters isn't a bad idea. i know the 1e game was very "trek" based, but adding things that allow for a departure from that style isn't a bad idea. after all, i did notice laser swords in my first read through...including things here and there that allow for a more "generic" take on sci fi would probably attract more people to the game. just my 2 cents.
xmanowarx

Postby Malakor » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:13 pm

A question regarding the text on page 3 (Section 1: Introduction). . .

In the paragraph that flows from the bottom of column 1 to the top of column 2, the description of the Daelans reads:

"... it was realized that they meant no military threat, but were intrigued by the Taurans. . . "

The preceding sentences in the paragraph state that spies were discovered in Earth's government. Should the sentence above read Terrans, instead of Taurans, or am I misreading the context?
Malakor

Postby Goblinoid Games » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:15 pm

Malakor wrote:A question regarding the text on page 3 (Section 1: Introduction). . .

In the paragraph that flows from the bottom of column 1 to the top of column 2, the description of the Daelans reads:

"... it was realized that they meant no military threat, but were intrigued by the Taurans. . . "

The preceding sentences in the paragraph state that spies were discovered in Earth's government. Should the sentence above read Terrans, instead of Taurans, or am I misreading the context?

Thanks for pointing that out. All that stuff about the Daelans is going to be cut, including the race.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby FredH » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:46 pm

Two questions re beam weapons, plus an unrelated comment:

1. Why unspecified "beam" as opposed to "laser," especially given the presence of laser swords?

2. I'm curious as to why Beam Pistols and Electrostun Guns are not combined into a single weapon, as per That Other Setting? I would think Military officers would still find it useful to be able to nonlethally stun opponents, at least sometimes.

Unrelated: Have you considered allowing for alternate possible settings, i.e. letting the SM generate his/her own Federation-equivalent? (I admit, I kind of wish it hadn't been called the Confederacy, though that's not a big deal.)
FredH

Postby Goblinoid Games » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:50 pm

FredH wrote:1. Why unspecified "beam" as opposed to "laser," especially given the presence of laser swords?

I preferred the terminology in the companion board game Star Explorer, so I changed it to beam instead of laser. It might be interpreted as a laser for the hand weapons, but I want to leave it open to being considered some other similar or dissimilar energy.

FredH wrote:2. I'm curious as to why Beam Pistols and Electrostun Guns are not combined into a single weapon, as per That Other Setting? I would think Military officers would still find it useful to be able to nonlethally stun opponents, at least sometimes.

This is the way it was in 1e, so I can't tell you why the original author decided that, but from a legal perspective I like it because it gives us some differentiation from the obvious inspiration material. We can make the change so that any officer can be issued stun pistols. In 1e this was set this way because of the way XP was awarded, but this has been revised so there is no reason military officers shouldn't also have the choice of getting stun weapons.

FredH wrote:Unrelated: Have you considered allowing for alternate possible settings, i.e. letting the SM generate his/her own Federation-equivalent? (I admit, I kind of wish it hadn't been called the Confederacy, though that's not a big deal.)

The setting as presented in the book is pretty loose; the sample map will only be a sample, and referees can arrange things anyway they choose. In light of that, what do you have in mind when you say alternate setting? The term Confederacy is again from 1e, but I'm open to alternatives. However, I think calling it a federation is a little risky under the circumstances, but I was toying with the idea of calling it the Federation of Allied Worlds. I suppose Republic is appropriate, but that has connotations with Star Wars. Thoughts?

Thanks for the comments!
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby FredH » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:35 pm

Say, Galactic Confederation, Galactic Federation, or the Treaty Worlds?

Re alternate settings, I mean in the sense that, say, Classic Traveller was a toolkit--instead of having to use the Third Imperium, you could use the rules as given to support a universe of the GM's design that had the same basic "shape" of the Imperium, but with all the details homebrewed. Likewise D&D: it doesn't have to be Greyhawk or Forgotten Realms, but most homebrewed settings will be similar-enough. So I'm imagining using S&S for various other homebrewed universes that still have the "shape" of That Show with altered details, just as the Galactic Confederacy universe does, with different details, aliens, etc. Basic play doesn't change significantly.
FredH

Next

Return to Second Edition Playtest