Level 1 Magic User help... I suck.

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Re: Level 1 Magic User help... I suck.

Postby Irda Ranger » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:28 pm

connivingsumo wrote:I think, in the future, I may be better off stocking up on oil flasks (or holy water - respectively) and memorizing 'spider climb' a couple of times, then attacking from above with my oil & flame, or Holy Water.

Be careful with that. I don't know about your DM, but if it were me I'd rule you had more cover behind the Fighters and Cleric than up on the ceiling. You'd have high ground but no cover, sort of like hanging on the outside of a castle wall.

Maybe you could provide the spells you DO have though so we can try to help drum up some ideas for you. For instance, I would save the Spider Climb for non-combat situations. There are frequent examples in most Dungeon explorations where a person who can scale a perfectly smooth surface up or down, or across a ceiling so as to avoid pressure plates on the floor, would be ridiculously helpful.

connivingsumo wrote:I would love, LOVE, the chance to disarm magical traps/locks, and/or read languages, etc. This is where the DM would come in.

Yes, certainly. Send your DM a link to this thread, or just try to summarize the arguments here. MUs are just weak at low levels; you shouldn't have to wait years of game time to be useful; etc. He might not buy it, but it's worth a shot.

connivingsumo wrote:I do think I might try the 'bluffing' suggestion given - such as acting like I'm casting something nasty to instigate a morale check against the weaker minded humanoids; on the other hand, I'm playing a young, skinny female MU that - quite honestly - isn't very intimidating at all.

Sounds like you might be in a position to "reverse bluff", convincing some enemy you're not a threat a all. Get them to ignore you, and then drop some devastating spell on them from behind. Etc.
Irda Ranger

Postby bighara » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:56 pm

Irda Ranger wrote:
connivingsumo wrote:I do think I might try the 'bluffing' suggestion given - such as acting like I'm casting something nasty to instigate a morale check against the weaker minded humanoids; on the other hand, I'm playing a young, skinny female MU that - quite honestly - isn't very intimidating at all.

Sounds like you might be in a position to "reverse bluff", convincing some enemy you're not a threat a all. Get them to ignore you, and then drop some devastating spell on them from behind. Etc.

That assumes, of course, that the low level MU has a devastating spell. ;)
bighara

Postby greyarea » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:36 am

bighara wrote:That assumes, of course, that the low level MU has a devastating spell. ;)

What, like Floating Disk? ;)
greyarea

Postby Blood axe » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:29 pm

I think Charm Person can be EXTREMELY useful.

Most humanoids (Orcs, Goblins, Gnolls, Bugbears,etc,etc) are going to in the 3-8 INT range- so only 1 save per month! So you can get a loyal friend/bodyguard for nearly 30 days. Think of several of these spells cast over the course of a few days. A Wizard can have several bodyguards. That charmed Orc can tell you alot about his tribe, guards, traps, treasure and the cave lay-out- along with guarding you.

Imagine a Level 1 M-U casting this on an Ogre! The Ogre needs a 14+ to avoid the spell. Im sure he would be a big help in fighting other creatures in the dungeon. The Ogre is much more powerful than a single level 1 Fighter.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby Blood axe » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:04 pm

Im actually working on some "Cantrips"- minor spells that a Wizard would get for free in addition to his normal spells. After a certain level- the Wizard would no longer use these- as they are "beneath him" and his time needs to be spent in "more serious study".
( nothing really original- just catrips from Unearthed Arcana, etc, etc. )
Blood axe

Postby bathwizard » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:07 am

3rd ed introduced 0 level spells which weren't particularly impressive, but gave the 1st level wizards something to do other than use a precious Charm Person or Magic Missile in a non-critical fight.

I'm a bit wary about those ideas involving flaming oil. caltrops, hiring henchmen, using attack dogs etc., in that thieves, fighters and clerics could all do the same (although the DM might stop the clerics from using caltrops). The mundane ideas are not exclusive to magic users, and their name implies that their skill is in using magic.
Bathwizard

My new blog is the Tales of Kaelaross, a world for Basic D&D/LL
bathwizard

Postby Eldrad » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:18 am

Just keep playing and wait until you get your first Fireball Spell. Just remember to have enough area to cast it. Personal experience.
Eldrad

Postby Blood axe » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:50 am

Eldrad wrote:Just keep playing and wait until you get your first Fireball Spell. Just remember to have enough area to cast it. Personal experience.

Level 5 ?? :cry:
Blood axe

Postby YHWH » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:14 am

That ogre charming strategy is really strong!
YHWH

Postby Blood axe » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:19 am

YHWH wrote:That ogre charming strategy is really strong!

I hope my players at The Keep are NOT reading this.
Blood axe

PreviousNext

Return to Labyrinth Lord