Mutant World-Omega Future-Omega World

For Discussion of all things Mutant Future (especially spidergoats).

Mutant World-Omega Future-Omega World

Postby Blood axe » Sat May 10, 2014 4:38 pm

Basic character races:

Humans - pure humans, haven't come up with nickname yet. Ideas???

Scalies- reptiles

Fluffies- birds

Squishies- amphibians

Clankers- cyborgs

Clickers- insects

Fakers- androids

Notmen- mutant humans

Plants- no nickname yet. ???

Races will have "stock mutations", or a choice/roll of them. Scalies will get teeth/claws, tail, & scales. Fluffies get limited flight, frail(hollow bones, Clickers get exoskeleton, etc. You get the idea.
Your race also gives you stat modifiers on strength, intelligence, etc.

You still get other mutations/defects.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Re: Mutant World-Omega Future-Omega World

Postby Malcadon » Sun May 11, 2014 12:01 am

I have been thinking about Reserve Points -- a great system to keep PCs from dying too quickly, especially in a brutal setting like GW/MF. Along with the ability to heal-up character in place of healing potions and spells, RP can also be used to represent luck. By spending 1 point per level, a character can make one re-roll, or allow the GM to help the characters in some small way (they find a clue to something; the guard drop the key, but it is out of reach; etc.). It would be cheaper at low levels as they would need all the luck they can get, but as they get better, they are less reliant on dumb luck. For mutants, RP can be spent to allow some mutations to be used an additional time per day. This would not be as cheap as a simple re-roll, nor would it cost more as one progress.

With Experience Points, are you going to use monster & money based as with D&D, or free-form as in the OW? If you are going with OW, I recommend cutting the EXP down a bit... Like 1/100th or 1/1000th of the normal amount. All those points are ridiculous!
Malcadon

Location: I'm at your game table, fuled by caffeine and madness!!!

Postby Blood axe » Sun May 11, 2014 1:46 am

I was thinking the same thing. I like "reserve points". The simplified xp system is a good idea too.
Blood axe

Postby Malcadon » Sun May 11, 2014 7:30 am

It seems that the different "stocks" (races) start on different levels (PSH at 4, MH at 3 and all others at 2), but it was geared so that they all need to get 6,000 EXP to gain their first advancement. It would be a safe bet to just knock EXP by 1/1,000th then normal, so the array would look like this (H = Human; M = Mutant Human; O = Other Mutants):

Level - EXP
(H/M/O) - Needed
4/3/2 - 0
5/4/3 - 10
6/5/4 - 15
7/6/5 - 21
8/7/6 - 28
9/8/7 - 36
10/9/8 - 45
11/10/9 - 55
12/11/10 - 66
(and so on)

EXP rewards would amount to 1-3 points for most games, based on how well they explored, with 5 for something spectacular, and nothing if the party did nothing worthwhile.

With the Relic Armor Class (RAC), it seems to note that it is 5 points lower then normal AC, even if it is below the non-relic armor you are using. A more sensible approach would be to have relic weapons ignore up to 5 points of non-relic armor, making it Dex-only in most cases.
Malcadon

Postby Blood axe » Sun May 11, 2014 3:19 pm

I want to try & balance out the races so they are nearly on the same power level. That way they don't have to start at different levels. OW doesn't give the Pure Hmans any stat bonuses like GW/MF does. I want to change that.
Blood axe

Postby Blood axe » Sun May 11, 2014 5:11 pm

OW has fewer HP/HD, Id like to keep the higher HD of MF/GW so reserve points will have to be adjusted. Probably to half. Id like to keep HD for all races the same, Pure Humans get a CON bonus so they should still be tough. I was also thinking that Pure humans might get higher reserve points, maybe full instead of half.
Tech weapons will cause more damage, so this should balance out.

Id also like to have a few basic classes besides Explorer. Warrior, Psyker, Tech, Scout.
Blood axe

Postby Malcadon » Sun May 11, 2014 8:38 pm

What about this:

True Humans roll 5d6 per Ability, dropping the lowest two. This would yield mostly above average scores.

Mutant Humans roll 4d6 per Ability, dropping the lowest one. This would yield slightly above average scores.

All others just roll 3d6 for each Ability, for absolute averages.
Malcadon

Postby Malcadon » Mon May 12, 2014 1:16 am

Humm... Mental attacks and tech roll seem to be skill based. Are you going to use skills, or are you going to tie mental attack and tech bonuses to level?

If you are going to add skills and/or feats, I have some ideas to simplify both systems.
Malcadon

Postby Blood axe » Mon May 12, 2014 3:36 am

Malcadon wrote:Humm... Mental attacks and tech roll seem to be skill based. Are you going to use skills, or are you going to tie mental attack and tech bonuses to level?

If you are going to add skills and/or feats, I have some ideas to simplify both systems.

I certainly want to hear any ideas you have!! :!:

Id like to keep the Mental attacks as in MF.
The tech rolls id like to have as percentile as in Thieves Skills. A % to figure out what an item is, what it does, how to use it, repair it.

Stats- Id like to keep as a bonus/penalty system depending on race with OW as a basis.

Just some rough ideas , subject to change.

A combo of LL/Basic D&D & MF/OW.
Blood axe

Postby Malcadon » Mon May 12, 2014 6:39 am

Skills don't need to be complex or exhaustive. The system could be like Pathfinder, but even more dumb-down. This would be as general as possible to keep the skill list short -- maybe less then 20 skills -- with a short list of example of what each skill can cover. Pathfinder for example, has 26 skills, but a number of them (like Climb and Swim) can be condensed (to Athletics, for example). When you remove all the combat-related and save-like skills, Mini-Six has only 23 skills, and not all them are really needed or can be condensed. You get so many Skill Points per level, with each point a +1 to any related tasks. They maybe an ability test instead of the normal D20 skill roll. For game balance, instead of the normal amount of Skill Points per level, Pure Humans could have 8 or 6 as they are reliant on skills, Mutant Humans have 6 or 4 as they are somewhat reliant on mutations, and everyone else gets 4 or 2 as they are largely reliant on mutations and natural abilities.

I have never been a fan of Feats, more so those feats I call "Fluffer Feats" that give a +2 to two skills (if someone really needs an advantage with a skill roll, then a simple re-roll could cover that, and you would only need one feat to cover it). Feats were meant to give Fighters an advantage with combat maneuvers (during the ground work of the D20 system, thus the name), but they have been expanded upon until they became a glut of special advantages. This is a system that would not be at all that critical to the game, as they would create a lot of little "exceptions" to the rules.

So what do you think?
Malcadon

Next

Return to Mutant Future