Relative Popularities of OSR Games

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

Postby Eldrad » Fri May 03, 2013 3:33 am

Well I think more LL/AEC people should join Google+ and get our number HIGHER !

If G+ community size is any indicator...

634 - Swords & Wizardry
551 - Original D&D
549 - Dungeon Crawl Classics
512 - Advanced D&D
329 - Lamentations of the Flame Princes
236 - Adventurer Conqueror King
222 - Labyrinth Lord
209 - Castles and Crusades
208 - Basic Fantasy
143 - Talislanta
124 - Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea
119 - Adventures Dark and Deep
115 - Holmes Basic
110 - Basic / Expert D&D
97 - AD&D 2e
70 - Delving Deeper

For Reference:

2142 - Pathfinder
1465 - OSR Group
1430 - Dungeon World
1195 - Savage Worlds
733 - D&D Next
653 - D&D (4e)
437 - GURPS
365 - Shadowrun

http://cyclopeatron.blogspot.com/2013/0 ... games.html
Eldrad

Re: Relative Popularities of OSR Games

Postby John Adams » Fri May 03, 2013 2:02 pm

It is an interesting blog post and I agree that Google+ is growing in importance, but, at the same time, I do not believe it is a very good measure of the actual popularity of OSR rpgs.

For example, LL is very established, supported and in world-wide distribution. However, LL does not have many flashy bloggers (or even shock-bloggers) pushing it, nor has Dan had very public-tens of thousands of dollars worth of kickstarters projects for LL either. What I am saying is that LL may appear to be less than other "OSR" rpgs online, but that does not really reflect LL's ACTUAL popularity in general.

But please, I am not trying to say something offensive to anyone - I am just trying to catch up on my forum reading and putting in my 2 cents that might matter to someone. ;)
John Adams

Postby Vile » Fri May 03, 2013 3:11 pm

Missed one. ;)

375: BLUEHOLME™

I agree with John, though, it can't be an indicator of relative popularity at this stage because it's a pretty new phenomenon. As time goes by it'll probably become more representative.
The BLUEHOLME™ Project
Vile

Postby Blood axe » Fri May 03, 2013 4:02 pm

What exactly is Google+ ? A forum?
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby 3llense'g » Fri May 03, 2013 4:13 pm

Blood axe wrote:What exactly is Google+ ? A forum?

It's like Facebook, but slightly better. Slightly. :)

On a different note, I didn't even realise there was an LL G+ community! :D

On yet another note, look at that list. Look at it's length. 12 retro-clones and some are still missing (like Dark Dungeons and Microlite74). That's a lot of competition for the same demographic. :shock:

And finally, another entry:

1- Searchers of the Unknown (yeah, I didn't count even Snorri :P )
Vornheim & Searchers of the Unknown is all you need! Read my blog, Countersong!
3llense'g

Postby Vile » Sat May 04, 2013 9:14 am

3llense'g wrote:12 retro-clones and some are still missing (like Dark Dungeons and Microlite74). That's a lot of competition for the same demographic. :shock:

I'm not sure it's competition, quite a lot of those communities have the same members. Well, I guess they're competing for my time, if not my interest (which they share equally). 8-)
The BLUEHOLME™ Project
Vile

Postby petespahn » Sun May 05, 2013 2:20 am

John Adams wrote:It is an interesting blog post and I agree that Google+ is growing in importance, but, at the same time, I do not believe it is a very good measure of the actual popularity of OSR rpgs.

For example, LL is very established, supported and in world-wide distribution. However, LL does not have many flashy bloggers (or even shock-bloggers) pushing it, nor has Dan had very public-tens of thousands of dollars worth of kickstarters projects for LL either. What I am saying is that LL may appear to be less than other "OSR" rpgs online, but that does not really reflect LL's ACTUAL popularity in general.

But please, I am not trying to say something offensive to anyone - I am just trying to catch up on my forum reading and putting in my 2 cents that might matter to someone. ;)

I think the lack of bloggers is a big issue with the online side of things. You can't click a page without stumbling over some type of Swords and Wizardry post, but I have to dig and dig to find Labyrinth Lord content. Where I live, it's the exact opposite. I can think of 3 groups right now playing Labyrinth Lord and none playing S&W. Anyway, part of the reason I'm taking a stab at the Brave the Labyrinth fanzine is to boost the LL online presence so contribute if you can. I've tried starting a blog but it's hard to stay focused when the time you spend blogging is time you could spend writing a product.

The Swords & Wizardry appreciation day thing they did a few weeks ago turned out to be HUGE. I wish we could do something like that for LL.

Pete
Small Niche Games
NEW: Tower of Boon Companions: A Swords & Wizardry WhiteBox adventure for 3rd-5th level characters.
Also check smallnichegames out on Google+
petespahn

Postby Eldrad » Sun May 05, 2013 2:42 am

It would be cool to do a Google+ game with some of you guys!
Eldrad

Postby petespahn » Sun May 05, 2013 1:22 pm

Eldrad wrote:It would be cool to do a Google+ game with some of you guys!

I just started a pbp game so I dont want to get stretched too thin but I just signed up on Google+ if anyone wants to add me. Not really sure how it works yet...
Small Niche Games
NEW: Tower of Boon Companions: A Swords & Wizardry WhiteBox adventure for 3rd-5th level characters.
Also check smallnichegames out on Google+
petespahn

Postby Vile » Mon May 06, 2013 4:54 am

From my understanding a Google+ Hangout is basically like a video conference, so you need a microphone, a webcam, a backdrop to hide the messy basement behind you, and you're good to go.
The BLUEHOLME™ Project
Vile

Next

Return to Open Discussion