Some Houserules

For Discussion of all things Mutant Future (especially spidergoats).

Re: Some Houserules

Postby Malcadon » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:42 am

I have been making some notes here and there. After same sorting, I'm posting some of the ones that work... At least for my games.

Stat Adjustments

Uniformed Attribute (Ability) Modifiers

Simply put, I like a uniformed Attribute modifier array. This would adjust all to-hits, saves, feats, etc.

Score — Modifier
3 — -3
4-5 — -2
6-8 — -1
9-12 — ±0
13-15 — +1
16-17 — +2
18 — +3
19 — +4
20 — +5
21 — +6

Saving Throws

With this, saves are a static number, with bonuses applied every there levels:

Poison — 14
Radiation — 15
Stun Attacks — 16
Energy Attacks — 17
Magic — 18

Poison also covers disease, drugs, and intoxicates. This is adjusted by CON.
Radiation is adjusted by CON. Artifact armor with Radiation insulation can apply the AC bonus to this roll.
Stun Attacks is adjusted by DEX. Artifact armor with electrical resistance can apply the AC bonus to this roll.
Energy Attacks is adjusted by DEX. Artifact armor with the right form of energy resistance can apply the AC bonus to this roll.
Magic (aka Magic Spells & Devices) is an optional save in case of MF/LL cross-over adventure. This is adjusted by WIL.

Note: All save adjustments use the above range.

Feats of Strength and Dexterity

Feats with this rule-set, are special save-like rolls you can make to preform stuns and heroic actions.

Feat of Strength — 15
Feat of Heroic Strength — 20
Feat of Dexterity — 15
Feat of Heroic Dexterity — 20

Feat of Strength covers standard actions of a strong character, like forcing-open doors, bust-open a lock, push/pull/lift/thrown heave objects, etc.
Feat of Heroic Strength covers more spectacular actions like bending thick metal bars, or lifting heavy blast doors.
Feat of Dexterity covers standard actions of an agile character, like climbing up walls, leap short distances, sneak past attentive enemies, etc.
Feat of Heroic Dexterity covers more spectacular actions like moving past obstacles without slowing down, surviving a high fall, sneak past alert enemies, etc.

Technology Rolls

With this system, you roll for technology determination/repairs as a save. Apply INT, as the range above. Also, apply the following adjustments:

+4 Familiarity with device
+6 Quick Mind mutation
+4 Tinkerer Affinity mutation
+2 Increased Touch mutation
+2 Dual Cerebellum mutation
-1 for each Condition Grade below 5 (repairs only)

Complexity Class I — 15
Complexity Class II — 17
Complexity Class II — 19

Save and Feat Bonuses by Level/Hit Dice

Level Bonus
0 -2
1-3 ±0
4-6 +2
7-8 +4
9-12 +6
13-15 +10
16-18 +11
19+ +12

Save/Feat Bonuses and Advancement

I have been toying with the idea of a less uniformed, but players selective bonus array. That is, at each level (including 1st level), the player can apply a +2 to two different Saves and/or Feats (including Technology Rolls). This would not take away form their normal bonus roll — this is a freebie! This would allow players to better customize their character, to be more resistant to certain forms of attacks, or to make them more heroic in ether strength or dexterity.

Note that applying a bonus to a Feat (e.g. Feat of Strength) would also apply to it's "Heroic" counterpart (Feat of Heroic Strength), so thus you cannot apply bonuses to Feat of Heroic Strength or Feat of Heroic Dexterity, as they are a packaged deal.

To-Hit and Armor Class

I like to keep things simple! Attack scores are static: at the range of 1st level characters, and 1 or less Hit Dice monsters, with an additional level range provided a +1 to-hit. That is, an attack on someone with no armor (AC 9) would be a score of 10 to-hit. Basically, a v3 D&D to-hit system.

AC Armor Type
10 Normal clothing... if at all! :shock:
11 Skins/Furs/Plantfiber Armor
12 Leather Armor (you bondage-freak! ;) ), Natural Armor (soft)
13 Brigandine (Studded Leather), Scale Mail, Splint Mail, Ring Mail, etc.
14 Chainmail, Natural Armor (moderate)
15 Piece metal (armor made of scape metal)
16 Platemail, Natural Armor (extreme)

Note: I allow Mutant Animals to have 1 or 2 points of Natural Armor, unless they rolled Natural Armor (moderate or extreme). Worn armor and natural armor do not stack in a normal sense. You use the best score, and half (round-down) of the other, with shields applied fully regardless.

Shields
Parring Blade (e.g. shortsword on off-hand) +2 vs melee attacks (only)
Buckler +3 vs melee attacks (only)
Shield +2 vs melee and range attacks
Tower Shield +2 vs melee attacks/+4 vs range attacks

(Note: I wanted shields to offer more than a simple +1 to AC. You get more defense with soft cover! That Is a joke!!! So I changed it!)

On top of normal AC ranges (sans shields), armor material maybe effected by certain weapons, to where they maybe bypassed by powerful weapons. In effect, most artifacts could bypass normal armor. This only effects the armor, and not the base AC score (10+natural armor).

Armor Tech Level vs Weapon Tech Level

Crude items are anything fabricated by cavemen, like wicker shields and stone spears.
Basic items are anything found in the basic MF equipment inventory.
Modern items are things you find find in the modern times, like automatic rifles, grenades, and nylon or Kevlar armor.
Advanced items are anything you'll find in retro sci-fi, like ray-guns, force-fields, and powered armor.

Armor -- Weapon Tech Level
Material Crude Basic Modern Advanced
Crude - R - H - B - B
Basic - S - R - H - B
Modern - S - R - R - H
Advanced - S - S - R - R

S = Attack as normal, but (non-shooting) weapons must make a save to avoid form braking.
R = Attack as normal.
H = Armor's AC is at half-strength, and must make a save to avoid loosing 1 point of AC, if the weapon inflicts damage. e.g Someone in chainmail armor (basic material) who is getting shot at by an automatic rifle (modern weapon) is only going to have an AC of 12, instead of 14.
B = Armor is totally useless against this attack! On top of that, armor must make a save to avoid becoming destroyed, if the weapon inflicts damage.

Item Saves

Item save are not adjusted by level or hit dice.

Breakable Materials — 9
Soft Materials — 11
Hard Materials — 14
Soft Metals — 13
Hard Metals — 17
Super Metals — 21

Breakable Materials are things like clay jars, glass cups, ceramic plates, etc.
Soft Materials are things like cloth, leather, paper, rubber, rope, soft plastic, etc.
Hard Materials are things like wood, rock, hard plastic, etc.
Soft Metals are objects made of aluminum, tin, gold, etc.
Hard Metals are objects made of iron, steel, etc.
Super Metals are near indestructible objects made of duralloy, megatanium, etc.

Some items are more vulnerable or resistant than others, with certain forms of damage, while some material are immune to some form of damage. e.g. paper is vulnerable to fire, while rubber is resistant to impact, and glass is not effected by acid. It is up to the GM to figure out what is vulnerable/resistant/immune to what.

Vulnerability lowers the save down by 3 points.
Resistant raises the save up by 3 points.
Immunity means that the object is not effected by the attack or damage.

Density Alteration Adjustments

This is one of the most annoying mutations! So I made a simple chart:

Height AC Movement (if at 120’ (40’))
1/8 - +8 - ÷8 (15' (5'))
1/4 - +4 - ÷4 (30' (10'))
1/2 - +2 - ÷2 (60' (20'))
x1 - ±0 - x1 (120’ (40’))
x1.5 - -2 - x1.5 (180’ (60’))
x2 - -4 - x2 (240’ (80’))

Note that the AC adjustment only applies to your base AC: 10+natural armor. Unlike the normal rules (that caps AC to nothing higher than 9), I allow penalties to push AC below the base score.

I hope that one is useful to same one?
Malcadon

Location: I'm at your game table, fuled by caffeine and madness!!!

Previous

Return to Mutant Future