Turgenev's Map Thread

This forum is for sharing your maps, and map making tips or ideas.

Turgenev's Map Thread

Postby Turgenev » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:09 pm

Hi all,

I figured I would post some of the maps that I've been doing. Most are Creative Commons licensed maps but I also post some of my commissioned maps as well. I've been doing this over at Dragonsfoot since 2008 so I figured its about time I started doing the same here. ;)

I have a ton of maps done and I don't feel like flooding this thread with all of my previous work so I'm going to start with a few recent examples. You can check out my Creative Commons Maps on my site here. I still need to update the page with the latest maps (it is on my to-do list). Enough talk, here are some maps.

Click to enlarge.

Notes: Area 26 has a pool.

Click to enlarge.

Notes: The shaded area is a lower elevation. The dotted lines show the passages that are under the upper levels. The pit trap at Area #9 is located over the corridor between Areas #19 and 22. This pit trap is 150' deep! Area #11 is a huge square chamber that has side ledges that eventually lead to the bottom of the chamber. I've noted the various elevation distances of these ledges. Area #11 d has become weaken and will collapse if trodden on. The secret door at Area #28 is a one way secret door.

Cheers,
Tim
Turgenev

Re: Turgenev's Map Thread

Postby Turgenev » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:13 pm

More Maps...

Click to enlarge.

Notes: Areas 14 and 27 are large open areas with walkways surrounded by deep (bottomless?) pits. Area 27c is an invisible force bridge (which the local inhabitants may or may not know about). Areas 27e are spots on the walkways that have become weaken and there is a chance they will crumble under too much weight (I'll let the DMs to determine how much weight is too much) causing all on it to fall.

Click to enlarge.

Notes: Key numbers 4 - 6 are an open area. Areas 7 and 8 are in a solid block that stands in the corner of this open area. Area 10 are invisible platforms. The dotted lines are illusionary walls. The rest should be explanatory.

Click to enlarge.

Here's how all three maps fit together. I faded the bottom right corner of the top map to show the area underneath it.

Cheers,
Tim
Turgenev

Postby Turgenev » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:14 pm

Click to enlarge.

Click to enlarge.

Notes: The weird circles with white numbers are teleporters. The teleporters with the same number connect to each other (for example, the teleporter in room 20 connects to room 28). Personally, I envision the open pit in Room 15 to be an open shaft that leads to the surface and deeper into the ground. The rest should be self-explanatory.

Cheers,
Tim
Turgenev

Postby jackel » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:17 am

These look great! Do all these fit together?
jackel

Postby Turgenev » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:57 am

For the most part, I just draw the levels one at a time. Sometimes I will do multiple maps that do fit together under a specific theme. Normally I leave it up to the DM to decide how the maps fit together.

A while back (re:several years ago) I did a series of dungeon maps inspired by the Tokyo Subway system (based on maps from a book I was reading at the time). Samples of those maps can be found here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 455&type=3

And here's an Old School Blue dungeon mega-dungeon map that was originally three separate maps. Click to enlarge.

Notes:
* Area 31 has a 10' x 20' section that pivots (either mechanically or magically) sending those on it back in the direction from which they came.
* Area 33 b) has an open pit with a plank over it (perhaps the plank is rigged to break once someone is halfway across it).
* Area 44 has a pool of water.
* Area 56 has an elevator that leads to the surface, or lower in the dungeon, or both (DM's discretion).
* Access to Area 99 is blocked by the statue. The symbol in this chamber and in Area 82 b) is a mirror. The mirrors are magical which allow them to act as portals between the two rooms.
* Area 97 has a large cloud/(magical?) vapours which obscure their source - an open well.
* Area 106 has an elevator (again, which direction it leads to is up to the DM).
* Area 109 a) has an open pit blocking the corridor with an illusionary wall at the south end hiding Area 109 b) (and access around the open pit).
* Area 113 has a large fungi patch.
* Area 115 has a hole in the ground.
* Area 136 has an illusionary wall dividing the secret passage.
* Area 140 has a large pool of water that has leaked from the nearby underground stream.
* Area 147 has a revolving wall section allowing access to the other half of the room.

Cheers,
Tim
Turgenev

Postby Turgenev » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:09 pm

Here are a few maps I created for my ongoing D&D campaign. First up is a ruin keep.

Cheers,
Tim
Turgenev

Postby Turgenev » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:16 pm

Here's a region from my campaign. Click to enlarge.

Notes: The green area represents the valleys in the hills. Angzadun is a Dwarven mining town and Waykin is a gnome village. Stonebrook Shire is a central hub of trade traffic through the hills so there are humans living in the shire (they are the minority population). The Howling Caves are where the adventuring will take place. They are a series of caves that howl when the wind blows through them. They are also home to many nasty beasties.

The Howling Caves. Click to enlarge.

And here are all four maps put together. Click to enlarge.

Cheers,
Tim
Turgenev

Postby Turgenev » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:17 pm

Oh ya, here's the primary map for my campaign world. Click to enlarge.

Cheers,
Tim
Turgenev

Postby Black Wyvern » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:38 am

Hey Tim, Did you use Photoshop for your campaign map? That is a thing of beauty. I am lucky to just get the point across with my outdoor maps.
Black Wyvern Press
Black Wyvern

Postby Turgenev » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:06 pm

I use Photoshop for all of my maps. These days I draw directly in Photoshop with my pen mouse and tablet but I have drawn things by hand, scanned it and then imported it into Photoshop to tweak/modify.

Here are a few more maps I've created for my campaign. This is my campaign world of Yrthea. 1 Hex = 60 miles. Click to enlarge.

Town of Spartenos. Click to enlarge.

DM Version of the Town of Spartenos. Click to enlarge.

And here's what the numbers mean:

1. Spartenos Keep
2. Clothier's Guild
3. Jeweller's Guild
4. Glassworker's Guild
5. Mason's Guild
6. Numismatist's Guild
7. Brewer's Guild
8. Lexigrapher's Guild
9. Apothecary's Guild
10. Mercenary's Guild
11. Courtesan's Guild
12. Embalmer's Guild
13. Locksmith's Guild
14. Salter's Guild (has a strong dwarf presence, Guild Master is a dwarf)
15. Thieves' Guild
16. Arcanist's Guild
17. Dancing Bear Inn
18. Crimson Tankard Tavern (human only, low class tavern)
19. The Happy Goat Inn (Gnome owners and caters to gnomes, halflings & dwarves)
20. Ye Old Emporium (General Store)
21. Metalsmith
22. Blacksmith
23. Hilda's House of Pleasure
24. The Red House
25. Emma's Bawdy House
26. Temple of Athena
27. Temple of Hera
28. Temple of Zeus
29. Temple of Haphaestus

Cheers,
Tim