THE BLACK DOGS OF UGAUL

This forum is for any small member projects (new monsters, magic items, etc.). Members may request a full forum for special large projects, and this will be considered.

Re: THE BLACK DOGS OF UGAUL

Postby bathwizard » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:21 am

The geology of this world is not exactly the same as other worlds. About a mile beneath the surface layers of dirt, rock and soil the earth takes on a spongy, almost fleshy texture.

There are huge, ancient tunnels left over from maggots of the earth. These tunnels crisscross each other miles beneath the surface of Ugaul and are inhabited by creatures descended from or created by the maggots of the earth.

Every time a black dog sorcerer casts a spell, a small amount of "earthflesh" is devoured. A black dog sorcerer casting many spells over a day or two will unwittingly excavate several rooms-worth. This will anger and upset the inhabitants of the earthflesh tunnels who may seek to reach the surface to find and punish the sorcerer.
Bathwizard

My new blog is the Tales of Kaelaross, a world for Basic D&D/LL
bathwizard

Postby Charlatan » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:19 pm

Really cool, I can just picture it: Earthflesh dungeons full of organic doors that open just before you reach them and pits of bubbling bile! Earthflesh weaponry covered in veins!

Once the people of Gothmyre fought a war against the invading Orcish King Gundorra and his berserker army. After their defeat the Queen of Gothmyre, who would become known as Esmerelda the Honorable, took pity on those of the army that surrendered, their wives and their children. She took these refugees of war in, had them taught the ways of civilisation (which at the time was not that civil anyway) and over time those that remained trustworthy were treated almost as equally as their human neighbours.

The orcs of Gothmyre are highly respected warriors, often used as shock troops that swoop in and race across the battlefield disrupting the enemy's tactics. However the shame of their lost war still lingers in many of the young men, which causes them to leave to join a wild orcish tribe, or to just generally dislike authority.

Those that do not follow a martial career make ends meet by working at night, mostly doing guard duties or unsightly work for the daylight hours, such as grave digging or rat catching.

Orcs and humans can and do interbreed, often one of the partners wishes to raise their social rank through marriage; be it a lowly human woman marrying an orc man in order to be protected or an orc man hoping to be better thought of for marrying a (by most standards) unattractive human baroness.

ORCS IN GOTHMYRE:

Orcs are neutral rather than chaotic.
Rather than green skin, pig-like faces and red eyes, these orcs have grey skin, almost bison-like heads and dark pool-like brown eyes.
They do not delight in torture and are not naturally designed to be evil, however they show no charity or pity.

Oh and just a note, I think from what we've been posting Ugaul is a continent, Gothmyre is a country on that continent.
Everything I say is true!
Charlatan

Postby Victorian » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:46 pm

THE BLACK DOGS OF UGAUL!

To the far north of Ugaul, in the empty and desolate Forbidden Kingdom of Lonbadon, towering stone colossi roam the mountainous landscape. They are said to be the guardians of some ancient power, though no one knows for sure...

The current king of Gothmyre is known as Emerson the Jovial to his face, Emerson the Cackling Mad Monarch behind his back. He is slowly bringing ruin to the prosperous country of Gothmyre, and many hope he is dethroned before it is too late.

Now just some thoughts on animal spirits, which I guess aren't anywhere as powerful as the Gods...that no one has named yet LOL.
Cousin Fox - patron of thieves and cunning folk
Brother Wolf - patron of rangers and fighters that go out into the wilderness
Mother Bear - patron of those that defend the towns/their homes, patron of soldiers
Sister Boar - patron of barbarians and chaotic types
Father Tiger - patron of nobles and scholars, perhaps royalty even
Aunt Rat - tricky, fox covers a lot of his stuff, maybe patron of the common man
Grandmother Spider - patron of the patient? builders? again, maybe royalty if they're that sinister
Grandfather Owl - patron of magic-users
Son Monkey - patron of fools, travellers and heroes!
Victorian

Postby Charlatan » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:59 pm

How about...

A seventh son is innately magical and always becomes a magic-user of some description. ;D

Right, in a rush, going to get in deep at the weekend and stat some things up.
Charlatan

Postby Victorian » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:18 pm

So the first post was this

"Three Primordial Gods formed the world from the corpse of their parent.
These Gods created nine godly children (3 Lawful, 3 Neutral, 3 Chaotic).
The first age of recorded history is known as the Age of Worms."

and I say

The three Lawful Gods are named Anu-Anuzula, Anu-Ahmadan and Anu-Argoseus!

Anu-Anuzula is the God of "law of the jungle" predator/prey, natural cycles, the passing of seasons, insects (especially ants) etc.

Anu-Ahmadan is the Goddess of man-made law, justice, police, social rank, as well as judgement of the dead

Anu-Argoseus is the God of tactics, war, honorable duels, knights, generals, nobility and all that jazz

I might move onto the Chaotic trio next, but if someone gets there first I'd like to say don't keep up the naming theme of the Lawfuls, it would be nice if each had a different sound to them, you know?
Victorian

Postby Charlatan » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:56 am

The Black Dogs Dogs Dogs Dogs

Really nice to have you with us Victorian! ;)

Dwarves of Ugaul!

Dwarves are thought of as the wise old men of the mountains, it is they that taught humans the workings of iron and so hold a special place in humanity's hearts. They are a welcoming and jovial lot, but harbour a great deal of secrets, including their own language. Other races are slow to engage them in warfare, for no one truly knows how many of them there are living beneath the earth in their maze-like citadels. Dwarves are barrel chested, stocky, matted fur covered demi-humans who average a height of approximately 4 feet and weigh about 150 pounds. Dwarves value precious metals and stones, and live underground. They have skin, hair and eye colors in monotone, often with veiny white skin and jet black dread locked hair, or in some cases coal skin and thick silvery hair. Due to their short height, dwarves cannot use two-handed weapons unless they are of dwarven design or longbows. However, they can use any other weapon or armor.

Due to their society living underground in secretive tunnels and defensive holdings, dwarves have the ability to see in the dark with infravision up to 60 feet. From their experience underground, dwarves have a 2 in 6 (1-2 on 1d6) chance of detecting traps, false walls, hidden construction, or noticing if passages are sloped. Dwarves must be actively searching for these abilities to function. In addition to these abilities, dwarves are particularly hardy people, and have a strong resistance to magic, as reflected in their saving throws.

Further, a dwarf character will speak the common tongue, dwarvish, and his own alignment language. Because of their frequent interaction underground with these creatures, dwarves will also speak goblin and kobold.

Reaching 9th Level: When a dwarf reaches level 9, he has the option of creating an underground stronghold that will attract dwarves from far and wide. Dwarves usually live in clans, so dwarves of the character's clan will be attracted to live under his roof, but dwarves from other clans will also come and live nearby to be ruled by the character. A dwarf ruler is able to hire dwarven soldiers or mercenaries, but may only hire members of other races for other tasks, such as human alchemists or elves for spell casting.

If you are using advanced rules I would consider changing dwarves from Con +1. Cha -1 to Con +1, Dex -1 as you see fit.

I really need to find a scanner some time and draw these guys up, they're kinda rotund fellows with big hands, beady eyes and are almost like this breed of dog: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Komondor

of Ugaul!
Charlatan

Postby Victorian » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:40 pm

Once Gothmyre was part of an even greater country, an empire in fact, but a vicious civil war caused it to split, creating the kingdom of Nordricum. While the exiled sorcerers that rallied the goblinoids into building of the Bastion of the Battle-axe lurk far north of Nordricum, rumours tell that they are forming an alliance...

Right, I think we should have a time line! I love making those.

Prehistory:
One God creates three Gods.
The first God dies, the three make the world from his corpse. (Did they kill him?)
Together, in a manner I don't want to think about!, they create nine Gods to govern the world.

0001 - 2000 AW (Which stands for Age of Worms) = As I picture it, think miles long Lovecraftian horrors bursting out of the ground, mindless monsters! Ugaul is a ball of molten stone or whatever the God was made of.
0001 - 2000 AS (Which stands for Age of Stillness) = The nine Gods cover the world in ice. At some point they make the giants.

more ages to come!

1044 AT (Which stands for Age of Thrones) = The Empire of Clay is formed under the High King Chartan (human rogue), the Prophet Dysoon (human cleric), the Black Dog Babathe (human magic user) & Blue-Eyed Vic (human fighter). :D
1581 AT = The Second Civil War of Clay destroys the empire, splitting it in two, Gothmyre & Nordricum, and forces both sides to loose it's many colonies.
1676 AT = The Orcish Invasion of Gothmyre is repelled, the young queen Esmerelda spares many of them.
1799 AT = Vile sorcerers from Gothmyre are exiled, they overtake many petty kings of the goblins and form the Bastion of the Battle-axe.
1813 AT = The Bastion awaken the slumbering Scorpion spirit, who initially slays many Bastion-Men, but grows to respect them and desire them as minions.
Last edited by Victorian on Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Victorian

Postby Charlatan » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:21 pm

'Ello you lot, brilliant stuff all 'round!

Here, have a rough map I just made.

[url=obsolete map was here![/url]

As I've said, Ugaul isn't the whole world, and is not fully charted as it is, so this is but a section, "the known world", as it were. Thus, even the largest country is only around half the size of an American state.

Countries so far:
Gothmyre: Gothic ex-imperials in decline, with an obvious barbarian history, as they and other humans still look to animal spirits and respect the wilderness. Think heavy fur cloaks and finely crafted rapiers, think countess in a ball-gown covered in blue celtic tattoos...
Nordricum: I'm not sure, but they must have a religion or monarchy that differs from Gothmyre enough to war over it. Perhaps they are a republic and have no king at all.
The Living Prayer: Aa great temple to the nine was destroyed during the Civil War...then it work up. A sort of "temple golem", a sacred country sprung up around it.
The Ever-Scar: If Black Dogs can destroy Earthflesh with their spells, it was a ritual specially designed to do this that ended the Civil War. It is a deep chasm, both sides must defend from creatures from the depths.
The Bastion of the Battle-Axe: A tyranny run by the worst sort of Black Dogs, reigning over goblinoids, they mix decadence and filth, palaces and nomadic camps.
Eastling's Bay: I thought it would be neat to have some Viking/Celtic types that have reverted to barbarism after the Civil War. A great place to hide out in if you offend one of the big countries. They are the same race as the Gothmyrish/Nordrics, just don't tell them that.
Wedelos & Woldenfields: Two countries that left the empire, returned to their own ways, they trade goods but are mostly isolated.
Protania: The supposed birthplace of humanity, an old country which was untouched by the Empire and believe their land will never change.
The Unconquerable North: Frigid North Lands!
The Forbidden Kingdom of Lonbadon: I didn't have space to write that...this time. But its in the Unconquerable North I bet!
The Nine Hundred Kingdoms: Arid lands of barons, warlords, petty kings, warring princes and any possible race as the Labyrinth Lord wishes
Last edited by Charlatan on Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlatan

Postby Victorian » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:46 pm

The three Neutral Gods are named Jusul the Bone-Picker, Witim the Riddle-Maker and Odabo the Star-Gazer!

Jusul the Bone-Picker is the God of history, secrets, lost lore, death, the underworld, ghosts and all that blues

Witim the Riddle-Maker is the Goddess of magic, magic users, puzzles, traps, wisdom, dreams, sleep, some aberrations

Odabo the Star-Gazer is the God of night, stars, thieves, nocturnal creatures, birds, hope, rebels, up-risings
Victorian

Postby Charlatan » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:46 pm

Following Victorian's style:

The three Chaotic Gods are named The Destroyer, The Defiler & The Dominator!

The Destroyer is the God of fire, volcanoes, earth quakes, death, murder, war, vengeance, goblinoids and at his best, renewal

The Defiler is the Goddess of desire, want, intoxication, mutation, change, fortune & misfortune, and fertility

The Dominator is the God of pain, despair, leadership, warlords, power, giants, wealth, darkness, underground and unity

As a thought, maybe one God is male, one is female, and the last is genderless. That goes for all three sets of the nine gods. Very balanced.

I'd also add that at least a few times in history the gods have aided each other, so while they may be rivals now, they are part of a single worshiped pantheon. A minor statue of the Defiler can be found in a lawful church, if only to pray around it for the Defiler to leave them alone. All nine are a part of civilisation.
Charlatan

PreviousNext

Return to Open Workshop