Psychic Powers (OGL)?

For discussion of the Generic Old-school Roleplaying Engine.

Psychic Powers (OGL)?

Postby Bisikoff » Fri May 04, 2012 6:53 pm

Howdy All,

I'm doing some work on a somewhat quick-n-dirty d100 based modern/post-modern system. It's mainly OpenQuest, with some GORE items pulled in, and I'd like it to have some psychics.

Has anyone kicked around any OGL-compliant psychic powers? I'm familiar with the BRP powers and such; just wondering if anyone's tinkered around with open content material for GORE / OQ / d100 games.

If not, thoughts? :)
Bisikoff

Re: Psychic Powers (OGL)?

Postby bmonroe » Sat May 05, 2012 12:13 am

There are psychic powers in the River of Heaven game. But I don't know if they're OGL. Is this something you plan to publish?
bmonroe

Postby Bisikoff » Sat May 05, 2012 1:05 am

bmonroe wrote:There are psychic powers in the River of Heaven game. But I don't know if they're OGL. Is this something you plan to publish?

Neither The Company nor River of Heaven have any open game content. I don't know if it's something I plan to publish, but I'd like to have the option (and enjoy open source stuffs).
Bisikoff

Postby Peter K. » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:19 pm

Pretty late to this party, but just wanted to chime in here:

Since GORE magical spells are essentially slightly reworked versions of those from the old d20 SRD, you could look there for psychic power inspiration:
http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/psionicPowers.htm
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35

I had in mind something exactly along these lines for psychics in a space-marine type game. Conversion factor musings:

• Effective Caster Level - Effective caster level is equal to one of the character's attributes: POW for anything that involves force or resistance, INT for anything that involves sensing or clever maniplation, CON for anything that involves bodily changes, CHA for anything that involves influencing others. The effective caster level determines various factors such as duration and potency.
  • Cost - Paid in magic points (psychic strength). The base cost to activate a power is equal to the power level (gets pricey quickly). Beyond this base cost the character may spend additional magic points, with each point increasing the effective caster level by 1.
The main thing I'm not sure of with this system is how to allow for characters to "buy" psychic powers. Unlike spells these are things they wouldn't just acquire through studying a book typically. Some sort of skill-point exchange? Any ideas.
Peter K.

Return to GORE