Cold Environments

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Cold Environments

Postby Barrel Rider » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:13 am

So, I'm working on an as yet untitled adventure for Barrel Rider Games and it's set in a frozen castle and has a section of caves made of ice. I'm designing it for high-level play, simply because there just isn't enough high-level material out there. Any advice on how to handle environmental cold damage over time, both magical and non-magical? I'm trying to see if anyone else has any good ideas on the matter.
Barrel Rider Games: Fast, fun, free-spirited retro-clone fantasy gaming!

"Like" us on Facebook!
Visit our RPGNow Shop at http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=4417
James M Spahn
Proud Member of the Labyrinth Lord Society
Barrel Rider

Re: Cold Environments

Postby bighara » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:36 pm

Good question!

OK, let's see, frozen caves and an ice castle, huh? So they aren't worrying about overland/wilderness per se. So they aren't worrying about food, shelter, fuel to keep warm, wind chill, or blizzards. The PCs' main climate concern is temperature. Here are a few suggestions:

Without warm winter clothing –or magical help (e.g. Resist Cold)– the PC is going to need to make periodic (maybe hourly) CON checks or possibly saves vs. disease.

A character that gets wet must make an immediate check/save at -2 and is at -2 to any future rolls until he gets dry.

One failure means being slowed by the cold (-1 to all rolls and movement slowed by 10')
Two failures means -2/20'
Three failures means hypothermia and frostbite. A character with hypothermia is effectively incapacitated. They cannot fight, run, use skills, or cast spells. They can only stumble along at a rate of 5'. If they are not kept moving by a comrade, they must make WIS checks (or save vs. spells) every turn at a cumulative -1 to keep moving. If they stop, they die in one hour (frozen to death).

To cure a hypothermic character requires heat and time. He needs to be warmed up (a good sized campfire's worth), to eat or drink something hot (raise core temperature), be given warm dry clothing or blankets, and 1d6 hours' rest.

Other things you can use are ice's slipperiness (no running, DEX checks not to fall during a fight, etc.), icicles falling (like a spear or arrow trap), and hidden snow drifts (stepping into a "pit" filled with snow and forcing a save as above).

Characters wearing metal armor without appropriate winter gear are at a -1 to all combat rolls due to the cold metal against the skin.

Frostbite might affect hands or feet, penalizing movement or dexterity skills while still in the cold. Including in any future chilly adventures.

My 2cp
bighara

Postby Barrel Rider » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:32 am

Oh, wow. That's good stuff. BigHara. I may build my framework around that. Once the adventure's published, if I do, I'll give you a special thanks and a free pdf.
Barrel Rider Games: Fast, fun, free-spirited retro-clone fantasy gaming!

"Like" us on Facebook!
Visit our RPGNow Shop at http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=4417
James M Spahn
Proud Member of the Labyrinth Lord Society
Barrel Rider

Postby bighara » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:56 am

You are a scholar and a gentleman, sir.

Hope it helps.
bighara

Return to Labyrinth Lord