Question about Gigantism and Weapons

For Discussion of all things Mutant Future (especially spidergoats).

Question about Gigantism and Weapons

Postby gcsears » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:30 am

I was curious if there is a common convention around mutants with Gigantism and the damage that their weapons yield. The damage bonus obviously is meant to augment their size, but it feels like a 20' tall humanoid should be able to wield a bigger weapon and have better reach (albeit reach doesn't really come into the rules) than a standard sized mutant. I was thinking about just using a stepwise system where each increment of bonus to damage also is an upward step in the damage die in the mutants arsenal. Each increase in size (of weapon) would also double the price of said weapon.

d4 --> d6 --> d8 --> d10 --> d12 --> 2d8 --> 3d6

So... a 20' tall human's longsword would do 2d8 damage. I guess if I did this I would ignore the damage bonus (since both are achieving the same net effect).

I think a balancing side-effect would be that they be a lot easier to hit. Maybe the damage bonus, should become an AC penalty.

What have other people done?
gcsears

Re: Question about Gigantism and Weapons

Postby JDJarvis » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:02 pm

I slap on the damage bonus and don't' worry about differences in weapons.
JDJarvis

Postby Adapt » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:37 am

I have to agree with JDJarvis. I absolutely love Mutant Future - in fact I made a supplement for it and am working on another one currently - but there are a lot of things in the rules that, while being undeniably awesome, will make you lose your mind if you think about them too much. My advice is to go with whatever is fun and quick. As long as your players are fine with it, and it doesn't bother you, you are good to go.
Running: Arizona Territory 1873 (FATE Old West pbp), The Northwest Barony (Labyrinth Lord pbp)
Playing: Night's Dark Terror (Labyrinth Lord pbp)

ADAPT's RPG Blog
My RPGNow Store
Adapt

Postby Atomic Ray » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:56 am

I am new to the forum so this old thread get a new life...

giants are a fun consideration, especially with rules gentle game like Mutant Future.

I would think that a 20' giant might throw the game mechanics a bit out of skew but in context I would provide a major damage increase thought the great size would present so many restrictions, issues, and hazards...

So yes, strong beyond belief compared to a mundane 6' dude.

Tough and somewhat indestructible compared to a mundane 6' dude.

20' egads...even if skinny within reason we are talking about twice the size of an adult elephant...so we are guessing around 35-40,000 pounds...16-20 tons...500-750 pounds of food and 90-100 gallons of water, every day...

To put that into perspective...that is most of a whole adult cow and most of two 55 gallon drums of water...every day to stay healthy.

Even if just half these numbers, a thin yet 20' giant...8 tons (16,000 pounds or 80 200 pound men)...300 pounds of food (enough for 10 mundane men)...4 gallons of water in perfect conditions without weather issues or hard labor (used a medical calculator) but by the numbers 40-50 gallons if working, hot environment, etc. (enough for 12-15 mundane men).

So I would allow the damage multipliers out the wazoo...Gorgo smash!

This image shows a giant next to a regular Joe...but this giant is only 14-15' tall

But good luck with finding enough water and food to fuel that monster body...and please cover your hoo hoo, because damn dude, no one should have to see that sober :shock:

Atomic Ray
“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Return to Mutant Future