Lords of Light and Powers of Darkness (Old School D&D)

This forum is for any small member projects (new monsters, magic items, etc.). Members may request a full forum for special large projects, and this will be considered.

Lords of Light and Powers of Darkness (Old School D&D)

Postby Agrippa » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:02 am

Inspired in part by my own thoughts and reflections on my bat thread and Tv Tropes' four main pages on the subject I've decided to start a thread posting up homebrew gods of light and darkness for old school D&D/LL.

Light and darkness, like good and evil they're both opposites to one another. One is bright and reveals all, while the other is bleak and conceals all. However unlike good and evil, which are irrecconcilable to one another, light and dark can function as complementary forces. For without light, you can't cast a shadow. With this in mind I plan to begin this thread dedicatated to gods of light and darkness, both good and evil. This is an open thread now so feel free to post up your own gods. Please include favored classes, portfolios, some basic clergy details, holy days if you can think of any and alignment for your deities. Also feel free use real world mythology and various fictional sources for your gods.
Last edited by Agrippa on Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Agrippa

Re: Lords of Light and Powers of Darkness

Postby Agrippa » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:08 am

Lords (read as gods) of Light index

Angels are bright still, though the brightest fell;
Though all things foul would wear the brows of grace,
Yet grace must still look so.
William Shakespeare, Macbeth

Benign/benevolent

"I had always presumed white light to be pure and somehow chaste, to be noble and good. But this whiteness was unutterably evil, chilling, its purity an abomination."
— Eisenhorn, Hereticus

Malicious/wicked

Powers of Darkness

"In the end, walking the path of Dark is no more dishonorable than walking the path of Light, as long as it's done with clear intentions."
— Jimothi Tarrie, Abarat

Benign/benevolent
Anubis

"From the world of darkness I did loose demons and devils in the power of scorpions to torment."
—Charles Manson

Malicious/wicked
Last edited by Agrippa on Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Agrippa

Re: Lords of Light and Powers of Darkness (Old School D&D)

Postby Agrippa » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:44 pm

Here's the basic god format.

Name:
Rank: (hero-deity,demi-god, minor, lesser, intermediate, greater, titanic)
Symbol:
Alignment:
Aspect: Light or Dark
Portfolio
Domain: (If it applies)
Demeanor:
Appereance:
Powers: (What can this supernatural bigshot do? What can he or she grant to his or her prophets and champions (clerics, other spellcasting priests and other chosen). Use rank as a guideline.)
Allies:
Worshipers and clergy:
Source: (myology or modern fiction)
Last edited by Agrippa on Thu May 10, 2012 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Agrippa

Postby Agrippa » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:34 am

Name: Anubis, He Who is Upon His Mountain and He Who is in the Place of Embalming
Symbol: the Imiut fetish or the grain flail
Alignment: Lawful Good
Aspect: Dark
Portfolio Judgement, protection, the souls of the dead, justice and all lost souls on the mortal coil (the homeless, depressed and orphans).
Demeanor: Anubis is as well known for his kindness and compassion as he is for serious demeanor and zeal for justice. While he rarely displays such warmth openly he feels nothing not but love and concern for children and all matter of innocent folk. This means great heart break and suffering for him when such innocents suffer in agony or face untimely deaths. But this dark sheppard has no such warmth or love for the truely and unrepentantly wicked, for they have chosen oblivion and shall be cast into it as punishment for their vileness and depravity by being fed to Ammit. He also has something of a soft spot for dogs.
Appereance: Image
Powers: Control over death, influence over the souls of the dead and power over wolves and wild dogs. I'm quie sure how I would handle this though. Maybe turn undead and wolf control for his chosen priests would work.
Allies: Osiris (whom helped to ressurect by returning his internal organs to his sister-wife Isis), Isis, Horus, Thoth, Nephthys and Anput (both are his wives)
Enemies: Set (for murdering Osiris and then granting Osiris's internal organs to Anubis as a sick joke), Ra (more back biting than actual violence due to his support of Set) and the evil primordial god Apep.
Worshipers and clergy: Devoties of Anubis honor their grim but noble god by entering into forensic or medical careers. Sometimes they become therapists and counselor, setting out to "save lost souls on this earth" as they would put it. Anubis's priests also act as forensic pathologists and physician in addition to their cheif roles, speekers for the dead and morticians. A large and respected minority of his worshipers are non-evil necromancers, tending towards Lawful Good.
Source: Egyptian Mythology
Agrippa

Postby Blood axe » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:07 am

Im interested in seeing what you come up with. But Id rather see unique Gods than historical ones.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby Agrippa » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:21 am

Blood axe wrote:Im interested in seeing what you come up with. But Id rather see unique Gods than historical ones.

I'll try to come with a mix of both. As I said, feel free to post your own gods.
Agrippa

Postby Agrippa » Thu May 10, 2012 10:08 pm

This guy's still a work in progress but I'll post him up anyway and hope for some feed back on him. Maybe even a bit of brainstorming for the this tin pot deific tyrant/fallen mortal (if Herculean or Chu Culainesque) hero. Honestly the guy's name in Russian is a lot more impressive than what his English name would be.

Name: Luk’yan the Lord of Bitter Frost
Symbol: A crown comprised of ice and steel with an iron rod lying in front of it.
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Aspect: Dark
Portfolio Darkness, undeath, conquest, nationalism, war and judgment.
Domain: Castle Утюг мог (Iron Might) and it's surrounding land in his home country of Серебряные древесины (Silver woods).
Demeanor: Luk'yan is an ardent nationalist and a fanatical defender of his homeland of Серебряные древесины in undeath as much as he was in life.
Appereance:Image
Powers: (What can this supernatural big shot do? What can he or she grant to his or her prophets and champions (clerics, other spellcasting priests and other chosen.) Use rank as a guideline.)
Allies: none
Worshipers and clergy:
Source: Largely original though the picture is of Exalted’s Mask of Winters and he’s inspired by a mixture of the fore mentioned Deathlord, Vlad Dracula and Victor von Doom.
Agrippa

Return to Open Workshop