Class; Orc

This forum is for any small member projects (new monsters, magic items, etc.). Members may request a full forum for special large projects, and this will be considered.

Re: Class; Orc

Postby Tzakkesh » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:37 pm

For the Orc, I would really tap into what would be a "Barbarian" class idea.

They can use any weapons, but they are restricted to light armor (maybe only Leather, Studded leather or Scale). Their hit die ought to be d10s. They ought to have some sort of ability to "rage", possibly triggered when they first take damage in a combat, which could grant them their +1 to damage and +1 to AC for d6 turns. You could also give them a +1 to hit when charging and/or when using two-handed weapons to make up for the fact that their AC will be so low.

Unlike Goblins, I guess I could potentially see Orcs as a nearly entirely subterranean race causing them to take a penalty for fighting in sunlight, but even here... I am not really sold on it. It seems like punishing a player for more than half the game for no good reason. Honestly, if Dwarfs don't get a penalty for fighting in sunlight, it isn't something that ought to apply to any humanoid race-- at least not when used as a PC.

I think you are letting their Intelligence be too high and forcing their Charisma to be too low. Do you not understand the difference between Charisma and beauty? You seem keen on penalizing that on every single humanoid race, even those that are commanding, intimidating, and highly social living and working in large groups. If it can manage to organize a group to do something and that group has a clear leader, if the term "king" or "warlord" could ever apply to any member of the race, that shows that the creature's charisma is not universally devastatingly low.
On the other hand, Orcs' ability to master technology is remarkably lacking and the don't sport any spell casters, build libraries or organize proper education suggesting a functionally low Intelligence.

If one is doing Orcs, the basic concept ought to be rugged hardiness and unparalleled rage and all the raw, ruthless aggression that comes from such rage. They thrive in the worst climates, eat the worst food, get beaten back by the world and counter it not by improving or changing, but reacting with destructive anger-- never changing, maintaining their most primitive and wild ways proudly. When drawn sympathetically, parallels can be drawn between them and tribes of native peoples, particularly in Africa and North America, prior to the industrial age. If you imagine something of a cross between a Zulu warrior or an Apache warrior and the incredible hulk and you'd probably draw up something worthy of being called "Orc".
Tzakkesh

Postby jackel » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:19 am

Hey Blood axe,
Here is what I think. I don't agree with the negative for daylight. I personally see them as more as a 'barbarian' type race. I also think that on the CHR you need two numbers. one for humans, a low score and a high score for other orcs. I think you should have them roll for the orcs score and then assign the other. example, score range from 3 - 18 player rolls a 16 so that is his orc CHR then since 16 is two less than 18 addd two to the bottom. score hence a 5. anyways that is just my 2 CP worth. take it or leave it.
jackel

Postby Blood axe » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:26 am

jackel wrote:Hey Blood axe,
Here is what I think. I don't agree with the negative for daylight. I personally see them as more as a 'barbarian' type race. I also think that on the CHR you need two numbers. one for humans, a low score and a high score for other orcs. I think you should have them roll for the orcs score and then assign the other. example, score range from 3 - 18 player rolls a 16 so that is his orc CHR then since 16 is two less than 18 addd two to the bottom. score hence a 5. anyways that is just my 2 CP worth. take it or leave it.

Well, you have to do whatever is right for your game. No version will make everyone happy. Orcs have pretty much always had a penalty in daylight in D&D. You are free to change that in your own game though. Thanks for the input.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby jackel » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:32 am

Blood axe if I offended you, I am sorry. That was not my intent.
jackel

Postby Blood axe » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:09 am

jackel wrote:Blood axe if I offended you, I am sorry. That was not my intent.

No, no, no. You have not offended me in the slightest. I did not mean to offend you either. Things sometimes don't come out right when posted on the internet.
I apologize if it came out wrong, it was not meant that way.

I truly meant- thank you for the input. I was just trying to keep things like Orcs of Thar & as in the LL basic book. Orcs had daylight penalties there, so I put them here. These "humanoid classes" are still unfinished & a work in progress.
Blood axe

Postby jackel » Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:25 am

Bloodaxe you didn't offend me at all.
jackel

Postby baran_i_kanu » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:31 pm

Diggin it, That's a good take on Orcs.
Dave B.
http://theosrlibrary.blogspot.com/
baran_i_kanu

Postby Blood axe » Sun May 15, 2016 3:02 am

Tzakkesh wrote:For the Orc, I would really tap into what would be a "Barbarian" class idea.

They can use any weapons, but they are restricted to light armor (maybe only Leather, Studded leather or Scale). Their hit die ought to be d10s. They ought to have some sort of ability to "rage", possibly triggered when they first take damage in a combat, which could grant them their +1 to damage and +1 to AC for d6 turns. You could also give them a +1 to hit when charging and/or when using two-handed weapons to make up for the fact that their AC will be so low.

Unlike Goblins, I guess I could potentially see Orcs as a nearly entirely subterranean race causing them to take a penalty for fighting in sunlight, but even here... I am not really sold on it. It seems like punishing a player for more than half the game for no good reason. Honestly, if Dwarfs don't get a penalty for fighting in sunlight, it isn't something that ought to apply to any humanoid race-- at least not when used as a PC.

I think you are letting their Intelligence be too high and forcing their Charisma to be too low. Do you not understand the difference between Charisma and beauty? You seem keen on penalizing that on every single humanoid race, even those that are commanding, intimidating, and highly social living and working in large groups. If it can manage to organize a group to do something and that group has a clear leader, if the term "king" or "warlord" could ever apply to any member of the race, that shows that the creature's charisma is not universally devastatingly low.
On the other hand, Orcs' ability to master technology is remarkably lacking and the don't sport any spell casters, build libraries or organize proper education suggesting a functionally low Intelligence.

If one is doing Orcs, the basic concept ought to be rugged hardiness and unparalleled rage and all the raw, ruthless aggression that comes from such rage. They thrive in the worst climates, eat the worst food, get beaten back by the world and counter it not by improving or changing, but reacting with destructive anger-- never changing, maintaining their most primitive and wild ways proudly. When drawn sympathetically, parallels can be drawn between them and tribes of native peoples, particularly in Africa and North America, prior to the industrial age. If you imagine something of a cross between a Zulu warrior or an Apache warrior and the incredible hulk and you'd probably draw up something worthy of being called "Orc".

Its funny that years later I see this guy posting the same kind of unfriendly, know-it-all drivel on the Basic fantasy RPG forum, and about the same topic "humanoid classes". :D :roll: :lol: (2014)
Blood axe

Previous

Return to Open Workshop