D&D 5th/Next?

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

Re: D&D 5th/Next?

Postby Blood axe » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:52 pm

Everyone has their on take on it. Id rather have a new edition be a better, more streamlined, edited version of the previous edition, than a completely different game. If I want a completely different game, I'll buy a new game. But I just cant get into Ninja-Wizard,undead half-elf-half ogre. Nothing against it, play what you like, its your game.
I also dont like speed factors, segments, measuring every bit of space for 'attacks of opportunity' ,etc.
Not a fan of the "video game" feel of 4th.
If 5th edition is close to 1st edition or 2nd, a variation there of, or a "better" version. Id definitely pick it up.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby Eldrad » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:47 am

The Next Playtest is looking pretty good except for the full character monsters.

For example here is a LL Goblin...
Goblin #Enc. 2d4 (6d10), AL C, MV 60` (20`), AC 6, HD 1 -1, #AT 1 (weapon), THAC0 19, DG 1d6 or weapon, SV 0 human, ML 7, THC III (XX), XP 5, BOOK LL, PAGE 78

Here is a D&D Next Goblin... Sorry the damn thing won't format for me but U get the idea. You can't just jot that dow like you can with the older versions. It's going to be lots of work for the DM just like 3E and 4E.
Goblin
Small
Humanoid
(Goblinoid)
Armor
Class
(leather,
shield)
Hit
(1d6)
Speed
ft.
Senses
darkvision
ft.
Str
(–1)
Dex
(+1)
Con
(+0)
Int
(+0)
Wis
(–1)
Cha
(–1)
Alignment
neutral
evil
Languages
Common,
Goblin
TRAITS
Bushwhacker:
During
the
first
round
of
combat,
the
goblin
has
advantage
on
attack
rolls
against
any
target
that
has
a
lower
initiative.
Sneaky:
The
goblin
can
attempt
to
hide
at
the
end
of
a
move
without
using
an
action.
Stealthy
+5:
The
goblin
gains
a
+5
bonus
to
all
checks
to
avoid
detection.
ACTIONS
Melee
Attack—Mace:
+4
to
hit
(reach
ft.;
one
creature).
Hit:
(1d6

1)
bludgeoning
damage
(minimum
damage).
Ranged
Attack—Shortbow:
+5
to
hit
(range
ft./320
ft.;
one
creature).
Hit:
(1d6
+
1)
piercing
damage.
ENCOUNTER
BUILDING
Level
XP
Eldrad

Postby 3llense'g » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:04 am

Eldrad wrote:Goblin
Small Humanoid (Goblinoid)

Armor Class 14 (leather,shield)
Hit Points 3 (1d6)
Speed 30 ft.
Senses darkvision 60 ft.

Str 8 (–1)
Dex 13 (+1)
Con 10 (+0)
Int 10 (+0)
Wis 9 (–1)
Cha 8 (–1)

Alignment neutral evil
Languages Common, Goblin

TRAITS
Bushwhacker: During the first round of combat, the goblin has advantage on attack rolls against any target that has a lower initiative.
Sneaky: The goblin can attempt to hide at the end of a move without using an action.
Stealthy +5: The goblin gains a +5 bonus to all checks to avoid detection.

ACTIONS
Melee Attack—Mace: +4 to hit (reach 5 ft.; one creature).
Hit: 2 (1d6 – 1) bludgeoning damage (minimum 1 damage).
Ranged Attack—Shortbow: +5 to hit (range 80 ft./320 ft.; one creature).
Hit: 4 (1d6 + 1) piercing damage.

ENCOUNTER BUILDING
Level 1
XP 10

Fixed it for ya. :)

I don't get why these stats state the die rolls, then their average/midpoint. We can divide by two, WOTC! :D Also, full weapon stats, including number of targets for a bow. And finally: why do level 1 cannon-fodder have special abilities? Three no less! :?
Vornheim & Searchers of the Unknown is all you need! Read my blog, Countersong!
3llense'g

Postby finarvyn » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:13 pm

I took place in a Next playtest for a while and enjoyed it but it seems like each new playtest doc gets more and more rules intensive. Then I found 13th Age, which seems a lot like Next only it seems to run smoother to me and I like it better.
Marv / Finarvyn
Knight of Dangerous Quests, Labyrinth Lord Society, 2009
Author of the S&W White Box 2009
Old LL board member #007 (back in 2007)
Earl of Stone Creek / C&C Society Member since 2003
OD&D player since 1975
finarvyn

Postby 3llense'g » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:07 pm

finarvyn wrote:I took place in a Next playtest for a while and enjoyed it but it seems like each new playtest doc gets more and more rules intensive. Then I found 13th Age, which seems a lot like Next only it seems to run smoother to me and I like it better.

That game indeed sounds somewhat interesting. On the other hand, I find it hilarious that you found an alternative to Next even before it came out. :lol:
Vornheim & Searchers of the Unknown is all you need! Read my blog, Countersong!
3llense'g

Postby Blood axe » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:39 pm

finarvyn wrote:I took place in a Next playtest for a while and enjoyed it but it seems like each new playtest doc gets more and more rules intensive. Then I found 13th Age, which seems a lot like Next only it seems to run smoother to me and I like it better.

Have a link or info to 13th Age?
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby redwullf » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:19 pm

Blood axe wrote:

Have a link or info to 13th Age?

Here you go.

:twisted:

I was just checking out the 13th Age pre-order PDF drafts. It's looking *really* nice.
“The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” E. G. G.
redwullf

Postby finarvyn » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:38 pm

3llense'g wrote:
That game indeed sounds somewhat interesting. On the other hand, I find it hilarious that you found an alternative to Next even before it came out. :lol:
I agree. Don't get me wrong, the Next playtest was fun and all -- it's just that the 13th Age game seemed to run smoother and had more cool stuff in the setting. Maybe it was just the GM, but I felt that 13th Age had a more "old school" feel than Next. (Not to say that 13th Age is totally old school, because it you don't like having at-will powers, etc, a la 4E you won't like 13th Age in the least. It just seemed to have more role and less roll than Next.)
Marv / Finarvyn
Knight of Dangerous Quests, Labyrinth Lord Society, 2009
Author of the S&W White Box 2009
Old LL board member #007 (back in 2007)
Earl of Stone Creek / C&C Society Member since 2003
OD&D player since 1975
finarvyn

Postby Agrippa » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:54 am

Reading about 13th Age vaguely reminded me of another d20 based fantasy RPG. Rule of Cool's Legend, which bares no similarities with Mongoose's Legend. I am thinking about using something like [url]Legend's[/url] skill system crossed over with the ACT in my LL/MF homebrew.
Agrippa

Previous

Return to Open Discussion