Another dungeon anyone?

This forum is for any small member projects (new monsters, magic items, etc.). Members may request a full forum for special large projects, and this will be considered.

Another dungeon anyone?

Postby elf23 » Sun May 08, 2011 6:30 am

Hey all,

If anyone would be up for another round of dungeon creation, let me know! I just printed out the last one yesterday, ready to lure my players into, and it made me keen to do another one. :D

We could either just play the same game again, or perhaps do something a little bit different like a town adventure, or an adventure designed for 2 players, or a mid- or high-level adventure, or something else!
elf23

Re: Another dungeon anyone?

Postby Bob » Tue May 10, 2011 5:57 am

I'd be up for it. How are we doing it?
Bob

Postby elf23 » Tue May 10, 2011 8:33 am

Hey Bob,

Did you see the last dungeon we made? Here's the thread.

So I'd suggest doing the same process again, as it worked pretty well:

1. Find a keyed map.
2. Someone takes the next room on the map, rolls to see what's in it, and posts the description. Feel free to put in references to previously described rooms, or hints to as-yet undescribed rooms. Repeat until all rooms are described.
3. Finishing touches, a name for the dungeon, wandering monsters, rumours. (This bit didn't work out so well last time, as interest petered out once the dungeon had been stocked. But the stocking's the main thing anyway.)

For the room contents rolling rolling step I'm not sure what others were doing, but I was just rolling to determine the general content of the room (empty / monster / trap / special), then making something up from that. Others may possibly have been rolling on random monster charts as well, I don't know.

Personally for my own use in my campaign I'd be up for doing another low level (1-2) adventure, but I'm open to higher levels if others are keen. I'm open to any suggestions of maps to use, or whether it should be a dungeon or something else (town / wilderness locale). Any suggestions?
elf23

Postby Dyson Logos » Tue May 10, 2011 4:16 pm

As with last time, you have access to my map archive to pick a dungeon you like, if you decide on a dungeon. If the map you want isn't keyed, I'll key it.
Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Postby elf23 » Wed May 11, 2011 5:21 am

Thanks Dyson!

There's zillions of cool maps there! How about this one? Temple of Illhan, Level 1. It looks about the right size, not too big, not too small...

Unless anyone else has any other suggestion...
elf23

Postby Dyson Logos » Wed May 11, 2011 9:53 pm

Since Justin over at the Alexandrian has just finished posting a fully stocked version of the Temple of Illhan, I keep seeing the map and cringing. It is one of my... weaker... maps.
Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Postby Bob » Wed May 11, 2011 10:55 pm

How about Lair of the Frogs or the One Hour Dungeon Map? They're both reasonably sized and have lots of variety and interest. Besides, I love the title of the first one.
Bob

Postby elf23 » Thu May 12, 2011 6:20 am

The one hour dungeon looks really interesting! It's quite big (35 rooms or so, on a rough count), but should be doable no problems. (Oh and I just noticed that I commented on the post that it'd make a good one for the dungeon creation game!)

And Dyson, I'm sure it's different when you're the creator with the critical eye, but all your maps look awesome to me! :D
elf23

Postby Bob » Thu May 12, 2011 4:48 pm

Let's do the One Hour Dungeon Map then. Ok, next decision is the number and levels for the party. I'd like to see something closer to mid-level rather than introductory, like 3-5 players of levels 3-5. That gives us some more options for what to put in the dungeon. Thoughts?
Bob

Postby elf23 » Fri May 13, 2011 6:50 am

Ok character levels 3 to 5 it is then. It'll be interesting to do something a bit different. Actually I realise that I've not stocked a mid-level dungeon for, hm, decades! All the LL / D&D games I've run during the last few years have been with 1st level characters... Do you have a campaign running, Bob, with characters of that level?

Great! If Dyson would kindly key that map we're ready for the off... :D
elf23

Next

Return to Open Workshop