That other Labyrinth Lord zine... Dodecahedron

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

That other Labyrinth Lord zine... Dodecahedron

Postby Dyson Logos » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:22 pm

I'm loving the current swell of Labyrinth Lord zines out there. I've got my fingers in the pies of a few of them (I have an adventure in Brave the Labyrinth #1, and a city map showing up in Brave the Labyrinth #2, and I've got a map showing up in another OSR zine that should be showing up in the next month or so too), and I'm an avid collector of the rest (I have every issue of Oubliette and I look forward to each of Eldrad's Back to the Dungeon).

On top of all these, since my own blog has so much game content, I've been irregularly releasing my own 'zine of Labyrinth Lord material. Dyson's Dodecahedron has a spotty history (with two full years between issues 4 & 5) and seven releases to date. Each collects material that's been posted to my blog, or occasionally material that is about to be posted to my blog.

Issue 7 is now available. As usual you can download it for free, although it is a Pay What You Want release through RPGnow, so you can throw some coin at me if you think it deserves it.

The seventh issue of Dyson’s Dodecahedron brings you not one, not three, but 130 alternate character classes for Labyrinth Lord games. Best of all they fit in this nice little digest-sized 12-page zine.

How did we achieve such a masterpiece of miniaturization you ask? Not through quantum transistors, but through the magic of random tables!

This issue compiles the 13 “d12 subclass” tables for each of the core classes from Labyrinth Lord and the Advanced Edition Companion into one place. This covers every core class from the core rules of most OSR games, and from these examples tables can be created for just about any other game or class.

But it would be lazy of me to just include 130 classes in this issue, so it also includes “A Devourer Most Foul” – a short adventure and dangerous for characters of levels 4-7 (with quick notes on adjusting it to higher and lower level groups).

130 classes, 13 random tables, and an adventure to slaughter every one of those characters, all in 12 pages! Why are you reading this description instead of the ‘zine again?

Get Your Dodecahedrons Here!
Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Re: That other Labyrinth Lord zine... Dodecahedron

Postby greyarea » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:49 pm

Great stuff!
greyarea

Postby Goblinoid Games » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:05 am

Hey and congrats it looks like it is selling very well!
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby chiisu81 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:40 pm

I remember you mentioning you were going to put together all of those sub-classes, I didn't realize it'd be so soon. :) Def. going to pick this up along with finally getting Dyson's Delves (PDF for now, putting together another Goblinoid Games Lulu order together and Dyson's Delves will join them :) )
chiisu81

Postby Blood axe » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:32 pm

The 130 Classes article is the best Ive seen in quite awhile. Great ideas. can easily be added to basic LL to add some cool variety to Classes. Thanks!
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby Dyson Logos » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:20 pm

Thanks!

Dan: I hadn't noticed that I am currently ranked number 2 on RPGnow (right behind Cryptworld!), thanks for making me look!

Chiisu: Hey, coooool!

Bloodaxe & Chiisu: The 130 subclasses have been such a hit that I've started up on the project again, this time making subclasses for the various other classes I've written up over the years. The first one of course is going to be d12 Gibbering Mouther Subclasses, then probably d12 Centaur Subclasses... then I'll move on to the various classes found in Magical Theorems & Dark Pacts.
Dyson's Dodecahedron
Dyson Logos

Postby Blood axe » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:07 pm

Dyson Logos wrote:Thanks!

Dan: I hadn't noticed that I am currently ranked number 2 on RPGnow (right behind Cryptworld!), thanks for making me look!

Chiisu: Hey, coooool!

Bloodaxe & Chiisu: The 130 subclasses have been such a hit that I've started up on the project again, this time making subclasses for the various other classes I've written up over the years. The first one of course is going to be d12 Gibbering Mouther Subclasses, then probably d12 Centaur Subclasses... then I'll move on to the various classes found in Magical Theorems & Dark Pacts.

For the Class options ( Fighter, Cleric,etc.) maybe increase the d12 to the classic d20. Im sure the great minds at this forum can come up with some more ideas.
Blood axe

Postby greyarea » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:50 pm

I think d12 is fine. The classic d20 is overused, IMHO. The other dice need love too.
greyarea

Postby Dyson Logos » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:51 pm

I personally prefer to use the d20 as little as possible, but that's a personal bias.

That said, instead of switching to a d20, I'm always cool with adding additional d12 tables.

I also encourage Labyrinth Lords to customize the tables for their own campaigns. It helps push the campaign flavour by putting specialized classes in the lists, or renaming them to match setting-specific material.
Dyson's Dodecahedron
Dyson Logos

Postby Blood axe » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:58 pm

Dyson Logos wrote:I personally prefer to use the d20 as little as possible, but that's a personal bias.

That said, instead of switching to a d20, I'm always cool with adding additional d12 tables.

I also encourage Labyrinth Lords to customize the tables for their own campaigns. It helps push the campaign flavour by putting specialized classes in the lists, or renaming them to match setting-specific material.

Blasphemer!!! HERETIC!! :o

The class charts are super cool. Im starting a thread in the Open Workshop on them to come up with extras & ideas for new ones.

Perhaps we can add d12 charts for the Gnome, Half-Elf & Half-Orc ?

Thanks!
Blood axe

Next

Return to Labyrinth Lord