The master plan - a path to greatness for NPCs

This forum is for any small member projects (new monsters, magic items, etc.). Members may request a full forum for special large projects, and this will be considered.

The master plan - a path to greatness for NPCs

Postby 3llense'g » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:06 pm

So I had this idea some time ago, and some friends on the old forums helped fixing it a lot, but it's not done. So I'm porting it here as best I can, to resurrect the discussion. :)

One note to old contributors: Firefox spell-check corrects "masterplan" to "master plan" (at least the British English version). I think we should stick to that. :)

My version:
http://jedi.atw.hu/file/theMasterplan-1_2.pdf
http://jedi.atw.hu/file/theMasterplan-1_2.ods

Bob's version:
https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B3S-nDhj1VRhNjAzY2E0YjAtMTYxMC00NTE2LTgzZDctYjA2MzZkMGQ0NWNh&hl=en

Greyharp's version:
https://sites.google.com/site/greyharpsfiles/Home/TheMasterPlanChart.pdf

Example of play wrote:You start at number one. Prerequisite is what has to happen in game. Target is what has to actually happen. Method is the way a certain kind of character would approach achieving the goal (martial; arcane: anything left of the ";" is for martial only, anything to the right is arcane only). The effects are anything not stated in the goal itself. So if you succeed in amassing an army, you have an army.

Example:
So if you want a warlord, you start at level 1 (or if s/he is already established, you can choose an appropriate next goal). So he undertakes the quest of getting the "Blade of Shadows" a +1 sword that gives hide in shadows skills of the appropriate level to fighters wielding it. Then you can
  • map out the dungeon, drop some kobolds, and maybe a leader that wields the weapon, or
  • roll a d12 (d20 in the current version, I messed up the target numbers) and see if it's 10 or more.
If he succeeds, your warlord has a weapon of legend that can get him some respect. You can move on to the next stage of... The Master plan!

So let's stick to our intrepid villain... um... Graldod! Now known as Graldod of shadow, because of his new weapon. So now we move to stage two, which does NOT imply character level.

2, So Graldod travels the land until he winds up in a city with an over-abundance of thief's guilds. He joins the newest and smallest. Since they don't even have a base of operations, he suggests securing a part of the sewers for their own use. (1. quest roll=20) After many a swamp- and critter- based encounter they manage to get a safe spot. They suffer so many losses that they're reduced to 5. Graldod is chosen as leader. (2. quest roll=12) Now they need some money to fund the operation and after much planning, they manage a hit on the local barons household while he's abroad. They get the respect of the criminal folk, not to mention immense riches. (3. quest roll=5) After some beggars and brigands join the group, Graldod feels like trying something big to attract attention. Sadly, no opportunity arises. (3. quest roll=8 ) After weeks of waiting, Graldod's men attack one of the lesser crime families in the city, but fail to slay any prominent leaders. (3. quest roll=14) The failure of his men enrages Graldod, and he himself leads the second attack, slaying everyone in the mob family. His organisation taking their empty place in the hierarchy of the city, he now has the name and power for a decent amount of followers, 321 people.

3, Now is the time for showing their presence to the city. (1000/321=3? Ok, let's say it's 10000/321=31) Graldod of shadow orders the construction of a stronghold above where their old sewer-hq is. After (10, 5, 1, 12, 20) 5 weeks, the building is complete, and Graldod can sleep in his new room on top of his two-story hq with huge walls, pit-traps, and constant guard. The House of the Shadow Guild.

4, 5 people are considered important in the city. Getting them on his side could grant Graldod control of the city. (20*5=100) After (7, 6, 19, 15, 10, 19, 13, 16) another 8 weeks, the harbour master, the baron's son, the leader of the city guard, the mayors advisor and the high priest of the city's temple all see Graldod as someone who could further their personal goals. The harbour master needs some folk disciplined. The baron is in the way for his son, not to mention some powerful criminals for the guard. The advisor fears getting caught with the money he stole from the city, and donations work wonders on the temple's attitude.

5, After some dark rumours start circling around town of the mayor, Graldod steps up to get his place. With most of the model citizens on his side, and a drop in crime (and certain barons), he wins the town over in (19, 15, 11) only 3 weeks. Graldod is now the leader of the city of Shadow.

6, (617*1=617) The next year is spent slowly building his power not just in the city, but in the countryside as well. Getting more and more followers for his private army, Graldod soon finds himself ruling every small community in the vicinity if Shadow, no one challenging his supremacy.
Vornheim & Searchers of the Unknown is all you need! Read my blog, Countersong!
3llense'g

Return to Open Workshop