So you liked Harry Potter?

Post your online or in person gamer meetups here! Post here if seeking to start a game.

So you liked Harry Potter?

Postby Atomic Ray » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:56 pm

I have been toying with the idea of running a different version but the same idea using LL.

The thought would be that sometime in the past, most likely during WWI, there was a purging war among the wizarding community...it spilled over into the mundane (muggle) world and caused dramatic changes...some communities, countries, etc. opened their doors while others closed them completely.

The idea would be that each player be an older student of magic...so rather than pre-teens or teen agers the players would be young adults 18-22yrs old or older, attending a secluded and remote school of magic, dealing with those who would kill or enslave the magic creatures and peoples behind the walls of politics.

Characters would all be magic types...a modified LL setup with a multi-class option to allow for cross over spells...there will be levels of course...wands, indeed I am going to stick with wands as focus elements, surely there will be scrolls/staffs/rings/etc., as well as ritual magics, and dark magics.

The direction I am thinking is starting with the 6th level...if straight magic user then 6th level...or divided between multi-class (among the spell casting types).

As for races...I have been stewing over this...I would say in this particular setting that race other than human would be killed on sight by the mundanes which hold a ratio of 250,000 to 1 (28-30,000 worldwide)...so there would be little chance to fit in during operations...I would say straight up human with magical blood but I would entertain the potential of other options with a good story...perhaps 1/4th or 1/8th of whatever for flavor might be interesting?

The idea of running side missions to rescue captured or trapped magical types would be interesting as well as the common politics of mundanes vs magic types, diplomatic vs militant, etc.

I am running a Mutant Future PbP (still recruiting if interested :) ) and playing in a LL PbP, so I am on daily...a few more posts will not pressure me.

I am looking for firm commitments, post here and PM me with additional thoughts.
“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Re: So you liked Harry Potter?

Postby tumblingdice » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:11 pm

Atomic Ray, are you familiar with The Principalities of Glantri gazetteer? It features the Great School of Magic, and since it came out in '87, it was Harry Potter before there was Harry Potter.
Get thee to the dungeon. Get thee to the dungeon forthwith. Pass not the barbican. Amass not 200 GP.
tumblingdice

Postby Atomic Ray » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:24 pm

The hidden school of magic is a popular theme, has been so since the beginning I suppose lol.

I saw that one but did not play it...that came out when I was heavy into judo, trying to go to the nationals with distant hopes of Olympic gold :shock: well at least nationals fame lol.

I am considering this game with a nod towards choices for the spells...

Say a 6th level magic user has 10 spells, he would also have 1/2 again (round down) in soft use or temporary use spells (which can become part of the inventory later upon advancement)

So 10 spells that are at the wand tip for use (based upon level, so the same spell could be used over during the day but it is an endurance thing)

And 5 spells that they are learning, fair chance of failure, require extra time, ritual, etc.
“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby connivingsumo » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:11 am

Sounds interesting. I'm contemplating running a game here, so I need to give this some thought before I take the plunge.
SUCCESSFUL "TRADES" with: tumblingdice x2, Blood axe, and Kipper! ~ thanks to all of you! :D

"Be the change you want to see in the world." ~Gandhi
“If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.” ~J.R.R. Tolkien
connivingsumo

Postby connivingsumo » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:17 am

Ya - the work you've done thus far is cool - the story so far sounds really cool, so I'm taking the plunge! :P

I'm here looking for the specific schools/spells of magic for light & dark. I thought I read them somewhere, but I've been all through your threads here in Gamer Gatherings, and I read all through your PbP threads.
SUCCESSFUL "TRADES" with: tumblingdice x2, Blood axe, and Kipper! ~ thanks to all of you! :D

"Be the change you want to see in the world." ~Gandhi
“If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.” ~J.R.R. Tolkien
connivingsumo

Return to Gamer Gatherings