Banning drizzit

For discussion/questions about forum moderation and/or forum policies

Re: LL + AEC in one book?

Postby Vargr1105 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:53 am

Ok, I may get into trouble for this post but there are times when you have to speak out, because truth trumps comfort.

Goblinoid Games wrote:Sadly, I had to ban a member for the first time. drizzt has been banned for trolling, but even more importantly for racist innuendo.

I must say I have an issue with this.

Fair enough, his "trolling" seemed like the ramblings of a disturbed person who has trouble distinguishing between reality and game-fiction, as his "sith religion" hinted at. Or maybe someone who is posting drunk.

But "racist innuendo" being a "more important" factor for his banning is something I cannot agree with, and which as a white person I find deeply disturbing.

You see, in your own mind you may think of drizzt as a "racist", but you are only saying that because he is white.

Anti-racist is just a code word for anti-white.

Goblinoid Games wrote:I have a pretty loose moderating policy here but there are some things I just can't tolerate, and racism is one of those things.

Exactly. You your are intolerant of white persons and that aided your decision of kicking one out. Then you pretend to take an anti-racist stance, when what your are really doing is taking an anti-white stance.

I mean, drizzt's supposed "racist" crime comes down to the guy saying "I'm white". If he had said "I'm black" or "I'm brown" or "I'm asian" or "I'm jewish" would you still have banned him? Or are white people, and white people alone, the only ones breaking some taboo when they affirm their race and heritage?

Was drizzt even sent a warning about his violation of the anti-white moderation policy of these forums? Or was he immediately outright banned?

redwullf wrote:I'm pretty sure no one will miss the guy. :)

I won't miss his incoherent ramblings, but that has nothing to do with with the color of his skin. Which is what truly got him banned from these forums.

The knee-jerk, frowning reaction of some of the forum members at drizzt saying "I'm white" was also quite disconcerting. Apparently whites can't even bring up the fact of their existence without having to explain themselves to third parties.

Tell me Redwullf, when you learn that a fellow forumite is non-white, do you also ask him "What is that supposed to mean?".

I am white too, and I don't hide that fact and I don't owe any justifications to anyone for it. If the Mod wants to ban me in the name of anti-racism, which is just a code word for anti-white, he is free to do so.
Vargr1105

Postby Omote » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:19 am

WTF is happening here? Don't distract the DP from the main point of this thread... LL+AEC IN ONE GLORIOUS BOOK (box set too)!

~O
Omote

Postby redwullf » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:08 am

Vargr1105 wrote:Tell me Redwullf, when you learn that a fellow forumite is non-white, do you also ask him "What is that supposed to mean?".

No, but your entire rant ignores the historical context of white suppression in much of the world. It is taboo to express your "whiteness" because our culture says it's taboo. You've made a fairly intelligent argument, so I don't believe you're somehow ignorant of this fact. If you parade your "whiteness" around in public, people will likely brand you a supremacist and, subsequently, a racist. Those are the societal rules in this day and age, and I'm sure you're aware of them. Once upon a time you could publicly express your appreciation of "the gams on that dame," but doing so now will get you branded a sexist. Well, this isn't much different - once upon time it was thought to be perfectly acceptable to discuss the many merits of being white and how those merits are superior to those experienced by people of other races. But not anymore, fortunately.

Finally, for fear of belaboring the point, your rant also ignores the context of the "I'm white..." remark. Go back and read again and maybe you'll see it. It's not just that he said "I'm white," but it's the context in which he said it.
“The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” E. G. G.
redwullf

Postby Goblinoid Games » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:25 pm

Vargr1105, you're joking right?

Please tell me your post was a spoof.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Re: Banning drizzit

Postby Goblinoid Games » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:23 pm

drizzit may be a great guy. He may be white or non-white for all we know, but it doesn't matter. If he really is 22 then he has some growing up and maturing to do and when that happens I'm sure he'll be a responsible forumite somewhere. When I saw his initial comment that he was "not white" I let it go for a long time assuming he was just being a bit of a jackass but not meaning any offense. I didn't like it but I let it slide to see what else he might post. Later as I looked at more of his posts I decided his trolling was disruptive, and his racially insensitive remark just added to that. He lost the benefit of the doubt. That's why he was banned. I'm not labeling him a racist, probably he thought he was being harmlessly clever. But I just don't have time to mess around with disruptive people. I have to moderate this forum myself, sometimes with help from a few other people, and I just don't have time to do a verbal dance with people who are basically just being assholes. On RPGnet and so forth they may have time to give various warnings and strikes and temp bans etc. before banning someone permanently, but in my case if you step over the line in such a short time here, combined with the tone of other posts, I can decide you're not someone who adds to the discussion or who is valuable to this small community. These are my personal forums, and I will kick someone out if I think it is necessary just like I would kick someone out of my living room for being a dick.

Varg, your response is totally inappropriate and takes the "I'm white" comment out of context (framing it as "affirming white heritage" is deliberately misleading). You could have taken your objection to a PM as I requested, but you want people to know how outraged you are. Great, now we know. But in the process of your overreaction you called me anti-white and intolerant of white people. I'm white, but my wife is not. We've faced racism as an interracial couple and I have zero tolerance even for jokes of an ambiguously racial tone. I'm just not interested in playing that game of how racist is it and is it actually racist, enough racist, etc. So this kind of thing will not be ignored with a wink and a nudge. It's too personal for me and frankly it's bullshit and not an "affirmation of white heritage".

Varg, the ball is now in your court. I have no intention of arguing about this or addressing this matter again with you. If you want to drop it great. Your choice.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby monk » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:44 pm

Holy Macaroni! The only race I want to talk about is race-as-class, baby. :)
Thurwin the Bibliophile, 1st level Fighter (Stonehell)

http://wizardsmutantslaserpistols.blogspot.com/
monk

Postby redwullf » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:38 am

monk wrote:Holy Macaroni! The only race I want to talk about is race-as-class, baby. :)

You meant to say "Dwarf" I'm sure. There's really no other race worth discussing. :D

And, Dan, well put. Thank you!
“The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” E. G. G.
redwullf

Postby 3llense'g » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:56 am

The reason drizzit's posts are so rambling is because he's on drugs. I base that on the topic he started on gaming while on drugs. I'm sure he didn't mean to be racist, but his wording made it sound like he assumes that YOU are. Like he was accused of trolling because you thing he's not white, or something. :|
Vornheim & Searchers of the Unknown is all you need! Read my blog, Countersong!
3llense'g

Postby rredmond » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:44 pm

3llense'g wrote:The reason drizzit's posts are so rambling is because he's on drugs. I base that on the topic he started on gaming while on drugs. I'm sure he didn't mean to be racist, but his wording made it sound like he assumes that YOU are. Like he was accused of trolling because you thing he's not white, or something. :|

IMNSHO I agree with this assessment as I read that post. FWIW I understand where you are coming from with the ban.
DOWNLOAD THE NEW ISSUE -- FREE NOW!
CLICK ON THE BANNER BELOW!!
Oak Rapp - screaming "die" in orcish b/c it sounds cooler.
Phaser on stun *pew pew*. Phaser on kill *poo poo*!
rredmond

Previous

Return to Moderation