DIY Projects for the Cheapskate DM

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

DIY Projects for the Cheapskate DM

Postby jcftao » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:28 am

Hey folks,

I have a woodworking project that is simple to make and can be useful at the gaming table.

http://www.knightvisiongames.com/2011/02/diy-projects-for-cheapskate-dm-part-2.html

Let me know if you already have something like this or have created other DM tools.
jcftao

Re: DIY Projects for the Cheapskate DM

Postby Restless » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:27 pm

I really like the dice mat idea!
"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." -- Walt Whitman
Restless

Postby jcftao » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:39 pm

Thanks, it really is a cheap project and works out great. I've also thought about making a picture framed combat board by inserting a grid under the glass and using overhead projector markers. Wouldn't be as large as some boards but the portability may be there.
Send me a pm or let me know here if you have any questions about the projects. I'd be glad to help out!
jcftao

Postby Restless » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:50 pm

Hmmm... I'd actually been looking around for frames for some art to hang in my "geek room" at home and saw a few pretty large frames at Hobby Lobby and Wal-Mart. With the right-sized grid behind it, it would make an interesting battlemat. Can you use dry-erase on glass? I still have all my old battlemats, but because of them I have a deep, dark hatred of wet-erase markers from my childhood.
"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." -- Walt Whitman
Restless

Postby jcftao » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:03 pm

What I use at home is a large piece of tempered glass (the kind that you'd see on an office desk. I printed out a grid pattern on the computer and pieced the papers together. I place this printout under the glass and use Vis-a-vis overhead projector markers (red, green, blue, black, yellow) to write on the glass. It doesn't smear and stays on until I spray a little water and paper towel it off. Works like a charm and is really neater than the dry erase markers. Besides you can slip other maps underneath and use them too.

Btw...walmart and hobby lobby have a bunch of cheap frames to use just for this.
jcftao

Return to Open Discussion