Skills in Mutant Future, again.

For Discussion of all things Mutant Future (especially spidergoats).

Skills in Mutant Future, again.

Postby Agrippa » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:37 am

I've been mulling over a skill system for Mutant Future ever since I first brought it up. Not just a "spend a few points and add a bonus to your rolls" system, more like actually improving your own abilities and even adding on more. This would start modestly, such as being able to throw up to a light load with little or no penalty, tossing a sword at an enemy 50' with a reasonable chance hitting them or swiming for a quarter mile at without rest. Higher ranks would allow for feats of skill such us hurling your full carrying capacity one-handed, throwing your sword a whole mile away and cleaving out a seven mile long trench from solid rock or swiming for days on end in either chain mail or plate armor, possibly even towing dozens such suits of armor with him.

Now all skills would be divided into broad groups by ability score. Thus you would have Strength, Intelligence, Willpower, Dexterity, Constitution and Charisma based skills. You'd also get a number of skill points per every six ability points for every four levels to be spent on that ability's skills. So if you have a fourth level pure strain human with an Intelligence score of 18 he'd have six points to spend on Intelligence based skills, mostly allowing him great benefits from his intellect instead of adding to or subtracting from any Intelligence based rolls. This would include more and better information about occult lore or ancient technology on a good roll. One rank in engineering/electronics might let you build a homemade toaster. With five or more ranks, well I think Cinematic Obadiah Stane put it best.

So I'm reposting this idea of mine in it's own thread instead of cluttering up Vault13Dweler's thread. My question is this, is this a good idea or is it crazy for an old-school style game?
Agrippa

Return to Mutant Future