D&D cartoon complete series for $6.99

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

Re: D&D cartoon complete series for $6.99

Postby seneschal » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:39 pm

I picked up a $5 version at Wal-mart that contained 9 episodes. Maybe that was a teaser for the full release? No game stats, no replaced music.
seneschal

Re: D&D cartoon complete series for $6.99

Postby Malcadon » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:38 pm

I also have the older 'red-box" set. On top of the useless v3.5 mini-book, it also has interviews & commentaries, alternative & rare footage, trivia, storyboard & animation galleries, lots of profiles, a short live-action film called "Choices", a radio-show styled version of the unaired final episode "Requiem", and the series' bible*. I highly recommend this version, if you like hearing about the background and development of the show.

The Animated Series Handbook is 28-page booklet in a folded-over (to make twice as tick) cardboard cover. Half of the booklet contains the characters (each having one page for the notes and stats, and another page for their picture), while the other half has a 4-part mini adventure (each are a small area using WotC's fancy battle tiles, with some monsters, few if any traps, little room for exploration, and lots of redundant text on the 3.x rules), stats on Venger & Shadow Demon, and a world map (which looks like a crowded cluster of landmarks, then a usable map of geological features). The notes given for each character was copied from the series' bible. It would have been better as an old-school module, as its a cartoon from the old-school years, the shorter game notes would freed up space for more adventuring, and the use classic-styled grid-maps would have made for better exploration (not to mention how all the aesthetics clash).

* This is a development booklet that helps established the characters and other elements to the writing staff. Locations and background characters are usually not listed unless they are somehow important. Unless the owners have some over-all agenda with how things are presented (common with shows based off a toy-line or comic), they are usually as open-ended as possible, so the writers have room to work with. If you are looking to make a RPG setting for any cartoon series, its always good to start with a series' bible, as they usually have good info that might get overlooked from casually watching the show itself - including personally & capabilities, goals & motivations, as wall as how everyone relates to each other, and ideas never used. You can usually find them online - it just takes a bit of searching... and lot of luck.
Malcadon

Location: I'm at your game table, fuled by caffeine and madness!!!

Previous

Return to Open Discussion