Judges Guild Wilderlands setting & Labrinth Lord

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Judges Guild Wilderlands setting & Labrinth Lord

Postby mightyeroc » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:52 pm

So, for awhile now I have been messing around with using the JG Wilderlands as my Campaign setting.

I have the D20 WIlderlands Player's Guide and I really liked how they broke up the Human races with different class skills and feats etc. that were allowed only to that race. Example: A Player from the City State of Tarantis is of Gishmesh human racial stock and gets Proffesion Merchant and Appraise as Class skills regardless of Class chosen. And favored classes of the Gish are Figter/Cleric/Thief

Now mind you, I am using Labyrinth Lord as my rule set with a little AEC thrown in. What I want to do is come up with a neat little way to differentiate the Human races in an old school way. Like if I play a Gishmesh Human then I can use the "Merchant Prince" class from Dyson's Dodecahedron issue 2. And if I just choose to be a Fig/Cleric/ or Thief maybe you get a 5% xp bonus...

Has anyone done anything like this or what would you do to come up with a simple way to make playing a Humans of differing racial origins.
Bree-yark!
mightyeroc

Re: Judges Guild Wilderlands setting & Labrinth Lord

Postby mightyeroc » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:10 pm

Huh, just realized I spelled Labyrinth wrong! Argh!

Anyway, after some more thinking maybe I need to look at these Human choices as sub-Race/Class setups like the Elf and Dwarf. In the Wilderlands if you choose to be a Human from Avalon you are an innate spellcaster with a penchant for Water/Ice magic. Well that seems to be an easy fix use the Elf for your PC and ignore the Elf racial abilities!
Bree-yark!
mightyeroc

Postby mightyeroc » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:32 pm

Here are a few of possible Human choices for a PC and my doing a "Basic"-izing of these from the D20 setup. I want to stay away from skills and feats yet work some of that back in there in a "Basic" way. I would like choosing to be a Human from different areas in the Wilderlands to be an interesting option. Not just cookie cutter Human can be any class, since that loses a bit of luster when I will allow Demi-races to use the AEC if they want. Or should I stay with straight LL and no AEC. Hmmmm.....

1. Alryan: a diplomatic people that are very perceptive. They have a hatred for Altanians.

I figure they get a +1Wis/Chr bonus and a -2 Chr reaction roll when dealing with Altanians.

2. Antillian: like daggers, notorious thieves, gender bias against females.

So here, I think a +1 to hit with daggers only, +5% xp bonus if you play a Thief, -2 Chr reactions when dealing with females.

3. Orichalan: these guys are the descendants of the Dragon Empire, and though Human now from centuries of interbreeding they still bear marks of that ancestry. Usually in a purple sheen to skin and or patches of snakelike scales. Females are almost always M-u's and the men tend towards magic or thievery. They are the Gypsies of the Wilderlands

So here we get a -1Chr reaction checks with everyone, Female M-U's get a +5% xp bonus and maybe a +1 Int. Males get a +1 dex and +5% for being a Thief.

Any thoughts, guidance, or comments welcome!
Bree-yark!
mightyeroc

Postby bathwizard » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:17 am

mightyeroc wrote:Huh, just realized I spelled Labyrinth wrong! Argh!

At least you wrote it how it's pronounced. Not as bad as the thousands of RPGers who can't tell the difference between rogue (the character class) and rouge (the make-up for rosy cheeks). I try not to be a spelling fascist, but that one still irks me.

As for your post it sounds like you've got a good idea there. Just as there can be subraces of dwarves and elves, there can be subraces of humans.
I can't say I'm very familiar with the Wilderlands setting but it has a good reputation. I missed it back in the old days (when I got the 1st ed World of Greyhawk boxed set and 1st ed Forgotten Realms grey boxed set and concentrated on those two settings) but I bought the PDF during the D20/OGL boom in the 2000s. I haven't got round to seriously studying it or putting it to use in my games, but after your posts I'll give it another look.
Bathwizard

My new blog is the Tales of Kaelaross, a world for Basic D&D/LL
bathwizard

Return to Labyrinth Lord