Two rules questions

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Two rules questions

Postby kaltorak » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:57 pm

Hi to all, I am new to the forum.

I have two questions on the core LL manual

1)The Fighter description says he gets an additional attack at 15th level plus one every 5 levels to a maximum of four, but the level cap of the game seems to be 20. There is something wrong in it. My supposition is that he gets an additional attack at 5th level. Am I right?
2)The bastard sword deal 1d8/2d4 damage second if it is used one-handed or two-handed. I don't see any advantages of using it with two hands (I cannot use the shield and I do the same damage of using it one handed). Am I missing something?

Many thanks
Umberto
kaltorak

Re: Two rules questions

Postby bighara » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:06 pm

1) Not BtB. There is no "level cap." That's just where the chart in the book ends. You can extrapolate the leveling from there.

2) The advantage of the 1H bastard sword = use with shield and a higher chance of dealing 8 pts of damage. The advantage of the 2H grip = higher minimum and average damage, but less chance of max. damage.

Here's a great quote from DnD Corner

For example, what is the difference in damage between something that does 1d8 damage and something that does 2d4 damage? On average they will both do 4 points of damage per hit. However, the item that does 2d4 damage will never do only 1 point of damage. This means that in general your lower damage limit will be higher using the 2d4 damage. But what about maximum damage?

This is where probability does come into play. For something that does 1d8 damage, the probability that you will get max damage is 1 chance in 8 (12.5%). For something that does 2d4 damage, the probability that you will get maximum damage is 1 chance in 4 times 1 chance in 4 or .25 x .25 or 6.5%. Because you are rolling more dice, the chance that both dice will come up at maximum is actually less. The trade off becomes dealing slightly more damage more consistently with less chance of doing maximum damage.
bighara

Postby kaltorak » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:12 pm

Many thanks bighara!
kaltorak

Postby kipper » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:09 pm

I have to say this just because it really bugs me (related to the quote from "DnD Corner", bighara got it correct in what he said):

DnD Corner wrote:On average they will both do 4 points of damage per hit.

The average roll on 1d8 = 4.5
The average roll on 2d4 = 2.5 + 2.5 = 5

OK, I feel better now :D !
kipper

Postby Ilvarin » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:26 pm

Another point to consider is that the d8 will also do minimum damage 12.5% of the time, as well, while the 2d4 will do minimum only 6.5%. It's this low end of the spectrum that always gets me thinking. My thinking here is that the minimum for 2d4 is 2, which occurs 6.5% of the time (sorry to labor the point). A d8, on the other hand, will roll 2 or less 25% of the time. That may be nitpicky, but to me it is worth considering.

Having said all that, I believe weapon choice should always be about role playing first and foremost. I enjoy those statistical analyses from a geek perspective. When it's time to get in character, that number crunching goes out the window.
Slaine

http://ramblinsfrombeyondthepale.blogspot.com/
Ilvarin

Postby bighara » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:26 pm

Ilvarin wrote:Having said all that, I believe weapon choice should always be about role playing first and foremost. I enjoy those statistical analyses from a geek perspective. When it's time to get in character, that number crunching goes out the window.

I agree, but I also find that "balancing" the mechanics helps encourage those RP-based decisions. If no choice is "best" (i.e. there's a trade-off when you make that choice), then it means number-crunching isn't calling the shots. :)

(Maybe I've just played with really wonky players. :roll:)
bighara

Postby michaelcurtis » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:07 am

The Fighter description says he gets an additional attack at 15th level plus one every 5 levels to a maximum of four, but the level cap of the game seems to be 20. There is something wrong in it. My supposition is that he gets an additional attack at 5th level. Am I right?

I think this question and its answer should be sticked at the top of the Labrinth Lord section. This must be the most pointed out "error" in the rules. Bighara's probably answered this one a dozen times that I know about between the old and new forums! :lol:
michaelcurtis

Postby kaltorak » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:11 am

Thanks to all for the kind answers!

So, another day, another question

When I calculate XPs, how I consider special abilities and plus?

Example 1: I have a 3rd level wizard, who can cast 2 first level and 1 second level spell. It is considered one single special ability or 3 different special abilities?

Example 2: I have a 4th level fighter with CON 16 (+2). He has, please correct me if I am wrong 4+8 HD. But, being dices eight sides, I can also consider him 5 HD... I get confused :)

My bests
Umberto
kaltorak

Postby Blood axe » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:44 pm

Welcome Kal-Torak!

I love David Eddings books. The Belgariad,etc,etc.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby bighara » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:33 pm

@michaelcurtis Nah, it can't be more than 8 or 10 times. ;)

re: XP awards. For the special abilities, I would consider spellcasting in general just one ability. After all, if a magic-user is powerful enough to cast higher level spells, he has more hit dice, and therefore is worth more XP from that. :)

The fighter with a high CON is an interesting question. Personally, I don't usually roll a full set of scores for an NPC (unless he is a significant one). I would simply call him a 4HD fighter and leave it at that. If you really want to stat him out fully, then I would call him a 4HD creature for XP, but with a single special ability bump for his "extra" hit points.

YMMV :)
bighara

Next

Return to Labyrinth Lord