Gygaxian Supernaturalism

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

Gygaxian Supernaturalism

Postby Thakazum » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:11 pm

I just read this post: Gygaxian Supernaturalism - Or, What Happens to Hommlet's Rufus at 8th Level?

Interesting stuff, it turns the concept of leveling into more of a part of the character's story than just being a meta-concept.
Thakazum

Re: Gygaxian Supernaturalism

Postby greyarea » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:20 pm

Very interesting article.

The implication is that a character would not advance but for the assistance of a patron deity. So what happens if the character is true neutral (druids) or an agnostic (I could see a rogue or fighter of this persuasion)--it would be difficult to be atheist in a world where the gods have such obvious influence? How do those characters advance? Can a character have a patron god even if he doesn't believe in that deity? Or do such people never advance in level? (Even Conan believed in Crom...)
greyarea

Postby Blood axe » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:34 pm

I think a God could use a character to pursue his own ends without the character beleiving/worshipping him.

Greyarea- But I dont beleive in Orcus...
Orcus- But I beleive in You!! ;)
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby greyarea » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:39 am

Greyarea - In which case, dear Orcus, if you do indeed exist, I grant you one more level, another hit die and better rolls on saving throws. Now about that pesky band of lizardmen down the way...
greyarea

Postby jasmith » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:59 am

greyarea wrote:Very interesting article.

The implication is that a character would not advance but for the assistance of a patron deity. So what happens if the character is true neutral (druids) or an agnostic (I could see a rogue or fighter of this persuasion)--it would be difficult to be atheist in a world where the gods have such obvious influence? How do those characters advance? Can a character have a patron god even if he doesn't believe in that deity? Or do such people never advance in level? (Even Conan believed in Crom...)

To quote the DMG:

"Whether or not the character actively professes some deity, he or she will have on alignment and serve one or more deities of this general alignment indirectly and unbeknownst to the character."

This is, of course, Gary Gygax's rules for AD&D. Your Table may Vary. :D

Druids serve whatever power is granting them their spells.
jasmith

Postby Blood axe » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:35 am

If suddenly you were granted special powers for inadvertently serving a Deity, it would be very difficult to refuse. Especially if you have unknowingly been doing it all along.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Return to Open Discussion