Back to Daggerford

badams30's Labyrinth Lord p=b-p game.

Moderator: badams30

Re: Back to Daggerford

Postby badams30 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:00 am

New post coming shortly - some scanner issues afoot...
badams30

Postby badams30 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:39 am

With a cold breeze blowing, you exit the river gate and to the left about 1000 feet away in a small copse of trees, you see three tents made of stitched animal skins, two that are roughly 10x10, and one that is double that size. Smoke wafts from the larger tent. Two militia guards stand nearby, chatting with a large barbarian clad in skins and much fur. A well-worn battle axe hangs from his belt, and he stops talking and watches as you all approach, saying in heavily accented common "Hello. You must be the men the Chieftan is expecting, please follow me." The guards nod and say hello, and the large barbarian motions you to follow him into the large tent, he pauses just outside the door and says something in a language you can't understand. A deep voice replies, again, you can't understand, but the guard motions you to proceed past him. He holds the tent flap open and departs back outside as you enter.

Inside the tent is a large man, nearly 7 feet tall, probably in his 50's, but built like no one you've ever seen. He is rippling with muscle, and is bald, with many scars and tattoos on his body. He is clad in just a fur loincloth and some high fur boots. A rather wicked looking morning star is slung across his back, and it glows with a faint orange aura. Next to him is a frail looking elderly man in heavy burlap looking robes, with crude embroidery of a snarling wolverine on the right breast side, and with runes along the hems. He has no teeth, and has long wild and unkempt white hair. He glances at you with cloudy eyes and waves his hands, chanting what sounds like a greeting, possibly an invocation. As he stops, the large man says in a booming voice of flawless common, "Welcome, you must be the men that Spearslayer spoke of. I am Mangalore, 35th in the line of the Wolverine, leader of my people." The old man smiles and cackles, nodding vigorously at you. Mangalore nods curtly at him and says "This is Klekt. Healer and Priest of my people." The old man blurts out an abrupt unintelligible word and the Chieftan continues, "Klekt says the spirits tell him that you are great heroes of honor, and that you have been sent by them to aid us." With a raised eyebrow, he says "Would you like to sit?" He motions to piles of furs and skins piled on the floor, obviously for audiences such as yourselves. He continues "We are strong and proud people, but tradition and respect dictate that we need someone outside of our circle to aid us in our time of need. Would you like to hear our tale?"

He pauses, you can speak or ask any questions before he continues...
badams30

Postby greyarea » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:31 am

Marcus, paladin

Marcus smiles and nods. He introduces the Dutybound and then nods for Mangalore to continue.
greyarea

Postby tumblingdice » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:56 pm

Rory nods in greeting, but stays quiet, secretly casing the joint. :)
Get thee to the dungeon. Get thee to the dungeon forthwith. Pass not the barbican. Amass not 200 GP.
tumblingdice

Postby Spanningtree » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:42 pm

Nahin - Elf

Yes, your tale would be most interesting. He will say making himself comfortable.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Spanningtree

Postby kjc » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:56 pm

Jayce - Fighter
"Yes, I would hear your tale," Jayce smiles as he takes a seat.
"This looks like a place we've never been to before!"
-My five-year-old son
kjc

Postby badams30 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:31 am

Mangalore nods his approval, and as you sit, he starts to speak - his booming voice accentuated by sweeping gestures; his charisma and presence capture your attention.

"The Wolverines have not always been small in number as we are today. Over 500 of your years have we been honorable and mighty men of the north, and at one time our tribe was spread across this area for hundreds of miles in 6 settlements, and numerous small farming villages. 300 years ago we were at our strongest, fresh from conquest of the rival Crow from the East. Our people were led by Viluisk the Mighty" (at these words, he bows slightly and pauses, and Klekt does the same, mumbling a quick benediction) and he continues: "Viluisk was a warrior without equal, and what he lacked in wisdom, he made up for in courage and tenacity. His feats of strength and bravery were matched only by the tales of debauchery and excess." He smiles for a moment, and says "He was far from perfect. His womanizing ways were well known, and he let his vanity get the better of him on many occasions. But he was a brave leader who led our people to the peak of our time, and he was idolized by all of the clan, and respected by his enemies. About 5 years after the defeat of the Crow, Viluisk was bitten by a spider, took ill and died. Many said it was a curse, others said it was simply bad luck. But he passed from this life, and the fortunes of our people have ebbed since."

Mangalore pauses for effect and says "His funeral was attended by tribes from across the realm, as it was. Allies and enemy alike attended, so great was the respect for Viliusk. He was burned on a pyre, and his ashes interred with his closest in a burial mound filled with treasure. My ancestors had little time to grieve, as within a month, one of the worst winters in history set in and killed a full third of our people. Between that, and other calamities, we have been reduced to a single settlement of much fewer. We are still the same brave men of old, but time seems to have consigned us to a fate of extinction." He shifts his gaze directly to you all and says "That's why we need your help."

He quickly continues: "Our people wish to regain our former glory. We are strong but peaceful, but these lands are ours, and wish to reclaim what is ours and grow to our former glory. A hunting party of ours was beset by goblins two months past, and were it not for the timely intervention of your fellow militiamen, a dozen of mine would be in the bellies of foul goblins. The Duke has kindly asked me to visit, and I realize that we share common goals - peace, strength, and the safety of law and order. I wish to restore my people to their rightful place in this land, and your Duke wishes to ally with us. He is an honest and good man, and I can sense you are of the same make. I am planning to build a shrine to Viliusk in our village. This isn't a matter of vanity, but we have found many of our old mounds looted by treasure hunters, and it is but a matter of time before Viliusk's barrow is desecrated similarly - unless we act now. I wish to obtain the ashes of the Great One from his tomb, and I'd like to ask you to do this for me." He looks across all of you and says "We cannot enter the sacred resting space of our ancestors. It is forbidden by the spirits. To do so is to invite a most horrible fate for the one who does so. But an outsider is not bound by such laws." He sighs and says with obvious heavy heart "We do not value riches as civilized man does. We value our tradition and sacred items. Gold, steel, and magic are useful in life, but once away from the mortal coil, it is just a vehicle to reach the afterlife."

He stops and says "So what I ask of you is this: Enter the tomb of Viliusk and bring me his sacred urn of ashes. You may keep what you find within, but I'd ask you to leave tribal items alone, so as not to upset the spirits of the dead. Any material riches found within are yours, and will pale in comparison to the service you are performing for our people."

He smiles and says "So, men of Daggerford... will you help us?"

Mangalore raises an eyebrow and waits for your reply and questions....
badams30

Postby tumblingdice » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:59 am

Rory listens to Mangalore's story. "Entering a tomb can be serious business," he says. "Is there anyone, or anything long dead who may be guarding it?"

OC: Of course there is, but Rory would be a fool not to ask. :)
Get thee to the dungeon. Get thee to the dungeon forthwith. Pass not the barbican. Amass not 200 GP.
tumblingdice

Postby badams30 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:12 pm

tumblingdice wrote:Rory listens to Mangalore's story. "Entering a tomb can be serious business," he says. "Is there anyone, or anything long dead who may be guarding it?"

OC: Of course there is, but Rory would be a fool not to ask. :)

Are you serious? It's a tomb. A place for the dead to rest in eternal slumber. I can say with, uh... umm... 100% certainty (give or take) that all the dead in this tomb are dead and harmless. Honest.

Really.

Would I lie?
badams30

Postby Spanningtree » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:00 pm

Nahin - Elf

If this deed can help bring our peoples together in peace I don't think we have a choice. Rory, it's just a tomb... we'll go in grab the ashes and make a run for it! Nahin will say with a nervous laugh.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Spanningtree

PreviousNext

Return to Forgotten Realms: Northlands of Adventure