The dungeon creation game!

This forum is for any small member projects (new monsters, magic items, etc.). Members may request a full forum for special large projects, and this will be considered.

The dungeon creation game!

Postby elf23 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:36 pm

Hi everyone

Inspired by a current creative block* half way through stocking a dungeon, the idea just occurred to me of taking a pre-drawn map (perhaps one of Dyson's?), numbering the rooms, then taking it in turns to describe the contents of a room. Kind of like the critter creation thread, but for dungeon stocking. I seem to get this kind of creative block fairly often about half way through stocking dungeons, and always feel like someone else's design input would really help push things along. In the case of each person just designing a single room at a time, there'd be no chance of DM's-block. I guess the end results would probably be on the weird and wacky end of things - having a mish-mash of multiple people's input, and not necessarily any clear overall vision, but I reckon that'd be fun! Another advantage would be that areas which are a weak spot for one person (coming up with interesting puzzles is one of mine, for example) would be filled in by someone else being really creative in that area.

To prevent an overload of ideas, perhaps the room contents could be rolled for before stocking begins, so we'd know if each room was to be: Empty, Monster, Trap, Special.

Would anyone be interested in giving it a go? I think some very cool dungeons could come out of it, and it'd be a great resource for those of us who are running regular games! Imagine having 10 DMs working together on the next dungeon level for all of our weekly games! :D

(* it's nice to be inspired by a creative block! ;))
Last edited by elf23 on Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elf23

Re: The dungeon creation game?

Postby Dyson Logos » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:44 am

I'm in - pick one of my maps and I'll key it (if there isn't a keyed version on my site) and post it here.
Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Postby Griffith » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:40 am

I particularly like Dyson's side-view maps. I would suggest using The Ruins of Tuhrek.
Griffith

Postby elf23 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:38 am

Cool!

I've just had a browse through your maps page Dyson, and I'd suggest either: Temple of Illhan, Level 1 or Beneath the Temple. Purely based on the size of them - about 20 to 30 rooms, by the looks of it, which seems like a good number to get started with. Call me a traditionalist, Griffith, but I'd prefer a top-view map personally... ;) Dyson you choose.

In terms of themes, I know your maps usually have a bit of background described along with them. However I guess to go along with the 'exquisite corpse'-like modus operandi as I described it, we shouldn't have anything specific in mind at the beginning - room 1 should be a totally open playing field. I suppose we should define what level the dungeon is, though, so the danger level roughly works out.

What do you guys think of the idea of pre-rolling the room contents (E, M, T, S)? Or, I suppose actually each person can just roll it as they take the next room.

A couple of other guidelines I can think of: I'd suggest sticking pretty much to 'one page dungeon' style terseness of description, in general - pack in as much detail and flavour in as few words as possible! New monsters can be included, but with minimal description and stats (ie. NA, Al, AC, HD, Att, and so on, rather than a fully written out monster). Otherwise, references to monsters and spells just from LL/AEC.

Oh, and to follow the 'exquisite corpse' model a little bit - everyone should feel free to (sometimes, if you want to) include hints like "a wheezing sound can be heard behind the door to room X" or "a pleasant warmth emanates from the left-hand passageway", that the next person can pick up and work with if they like (or just completely ignore and put it down to underworld weirdness).

How to deal with rolling and placing treasure hoards?

Can anyone think of anything else that might be useful?
elf23

Postby Griffith » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:57 pm

elf23 wrote: Call me a traditionalist, Griffith, but I'd prefer a top-view map personally... ;)

Not a problem. I like all of Dyson's maps 8-)
Griffith

Postby Dyson Logos » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:45 am

I could "donate" a dungeon that hasn't been posted to my blog yet:

Click here for a larger (full page 300dpi) version

I could key it in photoshop and let you maniacs loose on it. Unless it is too big for your tastes.
Dyson's Dodecahedron
Dyson Logos

Postby elf23 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:55 am

That looks perfect Dyson, thanks! And now we have a side view and a top view. :D

Interesting that one of the dungeon entrances is through a hole in a big tree, exactly like the dungeon I just ran my group through last night! Can we stock it for 1st level characters? Please please please ;) Then I'll run my group through it.
elf23

Postby Dyson Logos » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:18 pm

Alright, here's a keyed version of the map -

Click here to view if the forums are clipping the image for you

19 rooms, and a lot of depth... maybe stock it levels 1-2, or even 1-3? Sticking to level 1 critters in areas A, B & F, level 2 critters in areas C, D & E and level 3 encounters in area F.

And we need a name.

(Edited to add link to map in case you view the forums on a small monitor like a netbook)
Dyson's Dodecahedron
Dyson Logos

Postby elf23 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:23 pm

Looks great Dyson! And your suggestion of stocking the upper levels for a 1st level party, then some tougher monsters lower down sounds perfect.

A name... Hm... How about giving it a name at the end after we've seen what kind of horrors and treasures lie within?
elf23

Postby Dyson Logos » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:27 am

Alrighty!

Someone take Room 1, and let 'er rip!
Dyson's Dodecahedron
Dyson Logos

Next

Return to Open Workshop