The Tomb of Horrors

greyarea's Labyrinth Lord game

Moderator: greyarea

The Tomb of Horrors

Postby greyarea » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:21 pm

You appear from the eye of the purple potato about 200 feet in the air. As you get your bearings you begin to fall -- slowly. It's as if a feather fall spell has been cast on you. Well, most of you, Grimes falls at the normal rate, hitting the ground with an *umph* fall dmg [1d2] = 2.

As you descend you see the burial mound, the Tomb of Acererak, that is supposed to house the remains of your target the lich Acererak and Keraptis:

Then you land, Grimes having beaten you all down to the ground. You are at the base of a low, flat topped hill, about 200 yards wide and 300 yards long. Only ugly weeds, thorns, and briars grow upon the steep sides and bald top of the sixty-foot high mound. There are black rocks upon the top of the hill, which looked like the skull face as you descended.

Actions?

Hit points and marching order
Grimes 44/46
--Furuk 59/59
Dieter 27/27 < Magic Missile, Sleep, Continual Light, Stinking Cloud, Fireball, Hold Person >
--Dandy 33/33 < CLW x6, Bless, Hold Person, Delay Poison, Augury, Silence 15'r, Glyph of Warding, Remove Curse, Dispel Magic, Protection from Evil 10' radius, Cure serious wounds >
Castinus 34/34
--Shaelyyndenel 22/22 < >

Shae: choose spells please.
greyarea

Re: The Tomb of Horrors

Postby badams30 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:05 pm

Grimes - Fighter

Grimes rises from the ground, cursing and swearing. "Mother$^^#%$ eye potato! If I ever see you again I'll poke out your eyes and $^%#%@$ in every one of the bloody holes, you rotten &$%#$@%$^...

He rants for several moments before he looks about and gathers his things, lovingly caressing Wave. "Stupid potato. Deets, when we get back, we are gonna go see a priest and have him conjure up a new eyeball for you. And I'm payin! Sorry I couldn't kill potato eye for you. Now, let's get to this @#$hole Acerack. And I want to pay my regards to Crap-tis."

Grimes smiles and winks at the band, ready to move out.
badams30

Postby Spanningtree » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:12 pm

Dieter - Mage

Leaning down to pat the earth they stand on: Nice to be back on our own plane... he will muse under his breath.

Before we make our way to the festive looking tomb over yonder let's take a look at the spoils Dr. Evil provided. Dieter will take the staff in hand and try the command words the potato thing recommended: astonishing, astounding, awesome, breathtaking, fantastic, incredible, marvelous, outrageous, phenomenal, remarkable, spectacular, superb, terrific, wounderous, unbelievable....
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Spanningtree

Postby greyarea » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:33 pm

At the word wondrous the wand Effect [1d100] = 76 fires off a fireball which flies over the mound and explodes (as a fireball usually does). You hear twenty-nine in a nice feminine voice come from the wand after the wand is discharged.

Some of the dry grass catches fire on the mound but fairly quickly burns itself out.
greyarea

Postby Spanningtree » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:54 pm

Dieter - Mage

OCC: Can Dieter familiarize himself with the powers of the staff (w/o wasting a ton of charges)?
Spanningtree

Postby greyarea » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:16 pm

Dieter INT check [1d20] = 4 Success!

Between the Word of Power and the seemingly random effect of the wand, Dieter believes this to be a Wand of Wonder (also called a Olf Elmenda in the Elvish tongue) and is known for its random effects. It's an item of great danger and power: he once heard of a wielder turn bright pink from its use and also of a magician who shrunk to figurine size, but also of mighty lightning strikes and fireballs.

greyarea

Postby Spanningtree » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:19 pm

OCC: I think there is a misunderstanding, I was trying to have Dieter work with the staff of the magi. The wand is fun too! :D
Spanningtree

Postby greyarea » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:05 pm

Oops. The word applies to the wand, hence my confusion. :)

The Staff is manipulated not by Word of Power but by directed thought. PM sent.
greyarea

Postby Spanningtree » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:18 pm

Dieter - Mage

I think we should hold on to the random wand and only use it in a dire situation, it's kinda like that infernal deck of cards we found. Looking at Castinus: You lucked out though. Leaning on the staff he's ready when the others are. So there is a lich.... hmmm.

OCC: Staff added to inventory. XP updated.
Spanningtree

Postby tumblingdice » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:06 pm

"You all right there, Grimes?" Castinus asks. "Guess so," he says, noting that Grimes is on his feet. "The bigger they are, the harder they fall. Or not," he adds after a pause.

The thief peers into his quiver, then frowns. "Only two arrows left," he grumbles. "Looks like I won't be needing this bow. Blast. Better look in this bag, then," he says to console himself.

Castinus will peer into the bag of tricks, sticking his hand inside if necessary. If only his magic bow was like the one from the Dungeons & Dragons cartoon, and created its own arrows. :)
Get thee to the dungeon. Get thee to the dungeon forthwith. Pass not the barbican. Amass not 200 GP.
tumblingdice

Next

Return to Skull Mountain