D&D 5th edition- what you think??

For discussion of other games.

Re: D&D 5th edition- what you think??

Postby Blood axe » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:48 pm

(As for the hobgoblins, they are WAY too deadly compared to earlier edition hobgoblins. They have a thing called "Martial Advantage" that gives them HUGE damage bonus when they have an ally within 5 feet of their target. Fighting more than one hobgoblin is a BAD idea for a party of Level 1 PCs. There is a thread on ENWorld I have been reading about it. The ability is poorly described - as written all I can envision is a hobgoblin pulling out a deck of MtG cards, flipping one 90 degrees, and huge wound appears in the target. There needs to be some better kind of description for it that doesn't break "being in the game world" as right now it feels like "at the game table.")

===========

I saw that. Im not liking it. It seems too much like 4th. Like its a special power in a video game.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby Malcadon » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:35 am

One thing I have to say about D&D Basic...

"It reads like stereo instructions."
Malcadon

Location: I'm at your game table, fuled by caffeine and madness!!!

Postby sniderman » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:42 pm

Was sorta cautiously interested, then I got caught up in all of the inter-forum drama exploding across the Internets. (Gender ID paragraph...yes or no?!? Bad-wrong consultants...yes or no?!?) Soured me completely on 5e as this will inevitably spill out to the gaming tables come convention season. (Wizards' Gen Con booth should interesting.)

With all of the gaming choices available, I'll choose a game without so much "off-table drama", thank you very much.

(And before anyone asks for clarification, just go do some research yourself. I won't dump that crap in here.)
sniderman

Postby Blood axe » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:17 pm

Blood axe

Postby greyarea » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:26 pm

sniderman wrote:Was sorta cautiously interested, then I got caught up in all of the inter-forum drama exploding across the Internets. (Gender ID paragraph...yes or no?!? Bad-wrong consultants...yes or no?!?) Soured me completely on 5e as this will inevitably spill out to the gaming tables come convention season. (Wizards' Gen Con booth should interesting.)

With all of the gaming choices available, I'll choose a game without so much "off-table drama", thank you very much.

I agree wholeheartedly. I'm good with the other choices out there. I'll probably be playing 5th ed as often as I played 3rd, 3.5, and 4th...
greyarea

Postby Wizardawn » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:25 pm

I read over the PDF and was not impressed. It felt/looked like a stripped down Pathfinder to me. That, and the fact that I am fine with other fantasy role-playing games, is going to have me ignore yet another version of D&D. From what I am reading, they are trying to introduce some new type of modular gaming model where you add complexity as you want it by getting different supplements. I thought I have seen other people do this more to my liking...somewhere...

Wizardawn

Postby Blood axe » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:25 pm

I don't know if this is true, as I do not have the Starter Set myself yet- the set does NOT contain rules for character creation. WTF!?! A starter set, for beginners, and it doesn't have a section to make your own characters?! Huh?!
Yeah, I know there are 5 pregens. Yeah I know you can get "BASIC" pdf online. But a starter set for new players should have character creation.
WOTC blunder.
The rulebook should have been 64 pages & the adventure 32 pages.
Blood axe

Postby Dyson Logos » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:42 pm

The starter set isn't for beginning players. It's for a beginning DM.

The Basic Rules PDF is for beginning players.
Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Postby Blood axe » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:15 am

Dyson Logos wrote:The starter set isn't for beginning players. It's for a beginning DM.

The Basic Rules PDF is for beginning players.

Got mine a few days ago. The books are flimsy, but worth the price. ($20 retail)
It doesn't say that anywhere on the box. I guess its hoping you buy the Players Handbook in August. A calculated move not to include character creation.
Including the basics in the starter set would have been nice. (fighter, cleric, mu, thief, human, elf, dwarf, halfling)
Blood axe

Postby tumblingdice » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:01 am

It is all rather strange, isn't it? What is it about the early, and quite successful, basic sets that they can't recreate for this edition? Does it really just cost too much to put all that information in there? I guess it does.

Quibbles aside, someone over at Unseen Servant is offering to run a 5e pbp game. I'm going to give it a shot. Those interested should visit:
http://www.unseenservant.us/forum/viewt ... =21&t=2874
Get thee to the dungeon. Get thee to the dungeon forthwith. Pass not the barbican. Amass not 200 GP.
tumblingdice

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games