OSR Colonial: Basic Setting Rules

This forum is for any small member projects (new monsters, magic items, etc.). Members may request a full forum for special large projects, and this will be considered.

OSR Colonial: Basic Setting Rules

Postby baran_i_kanu » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:02 pm

I enjoy applying the old school rules to other settings and time periods.
This and the Spaghetti Western are quickly becoming my two favorite nontraditional settings so far. :D

I am a big fan of the colonial time period between the French and Indian War up through the Revolutionary War. I love the trappings of muskets, the clothing, the exploration all of it. I am also a freak for horror and weird stories. Thus I picked up a copy of Colonial Gothic the RPG a while back (and all of it's supplements since, great stuff, great read). Loved the setting but not the rules set. So we ditched it for Savage Worlds and had a ball. Then I wanted to try it with the old familiar system of Basic D&D. Itchy to mess with my Swords and Wizardry and Labyrinth Lord stuff I did a writeup of PC classes as well as basic firearms. I am building the setting rules with the idea of historical and folkloric versions of witchcraft, alchemy, etc. Thre will be a Witch and Alchemist class later and magic will be slow to cast and center very much on charms, potions, sympathetic magic, poisons, etc. More to come.

Here's what we got so far:

Minister
Hit Die Type: 1d6 per level, gains 1 HP per level after 9th,
Advance As: Cleric
Attack: Cleric
Save As: Cleric
Armor Permitted: Any
Weapons Permitted: Any
Prime Attribute (5% experience bonus): Wisdom 13+
Class Abilities
Influence Reactions
The Minister can, when speaking before a group that is not attacking (and not intending to attack in just seconds), try to alter the mood of the listeners. He can try to soften their mood or make it uglier. The method can be whatever is most suitable to the situation at the moment -- a fire and brimstone speech, a gentle reminder and guiding advice from the gospels, or an impassioned plea to the crowd's morals are but a few examples.. Everyone in the group listening must roll a saving throw vs. paralyzation (if the crowd is large, make saving throws for groups of people using average hit dice). The die roll is modified by -1 for every three experience levels of the Minister (round fractions down). If the saving throw fails, the group's reaction can be shifted one level toward either the friendly or hostile end of the scale, at the player's option. Those who make a successful saving throw have their reaction shifted one level toward the opposite end of the scale.

Inspire
Sermons, stories, anecdotes, and personal appeal of the Minister can be inspirational, rallying friends and allies. If the exact nature of an impending threat is known, the Minister can heroically inspire his companions with a rousing sermon or speech, granting a +1 bonus to attack rolls, or a +1 bonus to saving throws, or a +2 bonus to morale (particularly useful in large battles) to those involved in melee. The Minister must spend at least three full rounds talking to his allies before the battle begins. This affects those within a range of 20 feet per experience level of the Minister.

The effect lasts one round per level. Once the effect wears off, it can't be renewed if the recipients are still in battle. However, those who have withdrawn from combat can be inspired again by the words. A troop of soldiers, inspired by the Minister, could charge into battle. After fighting a fierce fight, they retreat and the enemy does not pursue.

The Minister, seeing them crestfallen and dispirited, once again rouses their will to fight. Reinvigorated, they charge back into battle with renewed spirit

Bless, Prayer, Protection from Evil
Through the power of faith, prayer, and his will the Minister can cast each of these spells once per day per every three levels. Thus a sixth level Minister can cast each spell twice per day.

The spells function as written in the base rule books.

Turn
The Minister can attempt to turn as a Cleric of equal level. This ability works on more than just undead. It also affects demons, fey, and other hostile creatures of legend. As long as the creatures are of Neutral or Chaotic alignment, the Minister (of any Alignment) can attempt to turn them. The DM has final say on whom or what can be affected.

Physician
Attack: As Cleric
Save: As Cleric
Prime Attribute (5% experience bonus): Intelligence 13+
Class Abilities
Diagnose
The Physician can make an Intelligence check with a -1 bonus equal to every three levels of Physician, to diagnose the illness of a patient. The DM can modify this with a penalty based on insidious or obsucure conditions. Once he finds out what hte problem is, he can then treat the problem.

Stabilization
A Physicianis can try to control bleeding, rub their limbs, apply brandy, breathe into their mouth, etc and stabilize any character that has reached 0 or fewer hits points, and would otherwise be dead. The Physician must reach the victim within a number of rounds equal to the Physician's level up to tenth level , beginning on the round after he drops to 0 or below. Once the Physician has reached the patient, he must then make an Intelligence check with a -1 bonus equal to every three levels of Physician, and a -1 penalty for every hit point below 0. If he succeeds in this, the character is stabilized and does not die. If the victim is wounded again, another Stabilization can be made but with a +4 penalty in addition to normal bonuses and penalties, representing the shock of additional wounds to the body.

Healing
A Physician may heal 1d6 points of HP damage per wound once per day per level. Only one healing attempt can be used on a wound. You cannot use the same healing on a wound twice. You cannot heal it again the next day. If you only use 1d6 healing on a nasty 22 point wound and then later want to use another healing 1d6 on it you cannot. For example, a first level Physician could heal one wound per day. At third level he could heal three different wounds per day, be it three people once, or the same person three times in the same 24 hours, provided that person was wounded on three separate occasions. This healing can be used for not only combat damage, but also disease, poison, and any other type of damage which affects Hit Points.

Scout
Hit Die Type 1d6+1 per level, gains 2 HP per level after 9th,
Advance As: Fighter
Attack: As Fighter
Save: As Fighter
Weapons Permitted Any
Prime Attribute (5% xp bonus) Dex 13+
Class Abilities
Awareness
One of the most important abilities of the Scout is his sharp senses. Many a man in the wilderness has been saved by his sharp hearing or awareness that his surroundings has slightly changed. Scouts can hear noise on a 2 on a d6. They are also only surprised on a 1 on a 1d6.

Runner
The Scout often has to get overland quickly. Their movement rate increases by +1 for every three levels of Scout: movement 13 at third level, 14 at sixth level, 15 at ninth level, 16 at 12th level, 17 at 15th level, and 18 at 18th level.

Sneak
The Scout, by necessity, is adept at moving quietly and staying hidden. The base chance for success is 4 + level + Dex bonus on a d20. A first level Scout with a 13 Dex has a base chance of 6 in 20 to succeed. The same Scout at 10th level has a base chance of 15 in 20 to succeed. This roll can be modified by the DM for circumstances such as heavy or light cover, darkness, camouflage, etc.

Track
Scout’s are also capable trackers, often employed as scouts for the military, hunters, or to track an outlaws trail. The base chance for success is 4 + level + Wis bonus on a d20. A first level Scout with a 13 Wis has a base chance of 6 in 20 to succeed. The same Scout at 10th level has a base chance of 15 in 20 to succeed. This roll can be modified by the DM for circumstances such as tracking across soft mud, tracking across snow, the quarry is trying to hide their tracks, etc.

Soldier
Hit Die Type: 1d6+2 per level, gains 3 HP per level after 9th,
Advance As: Fighter
Attack: As Fighter
Save: As Fighter
Prime Attribute (5% experience bonus): Strength 13+
Class Abilities
Weapon Expert
Trained in musketry and melee fighting, they gain a +1 to hit and +2 to damage with firearms and melee weapons.

Extra Attack:
At level 9 the Soldier gets an extra attack each round.

Weapons
Firearm Dmg Range Ammo
Pocket Pistol 2d6-1 5’ 1.
Flintlock Pistol 2d6 20’ 1
Horse Pistol 2d6+1 15’ 1
Musket 3d6 60' 1
Kentucky Rifle 3d6 70’ 1
Fowler Rifle * 30' 1 +2 to Hit first range increment
*4d6/3d6/1d6/1d6

Melee Weapons Dmg Range
Axe, Hatchet 1d6 10’
Axe, Tomahawk 1d6 10’
Axe, Wood 1d8 10’
Bayonet 1d6 -
Brass Knuckles 1d3 -
Club 1d4 10’
Club, War 1d6 10’
Knife 1d4 10’
Saber, Cavalry 1d8 -
Straight razor 1d3 -
Spear 1d6 20’
Whip 1d2 10’ to 15’ reach

Ranged Weapons Dmg Range Shots/rnd
Bow, Short 1d6 50’ 2

Posted the rules to my blog on this post:
http://theosrlibrary.blogspot.com/2012/ ... nd-ll.html

Any feedback or commentary would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, there's a first playlog up on my blog as well. Lot's of fun so far. :D
Dave B.
http://theosrlibrary.blogspot.com/
baran_i_kanu

Re: OSR Colonial: Basic Setting Rules

Postby baran_i_kanu » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:09 pm

Whoops forgot these:
Firearms
Damage
The damage for firearms is open-ended: if you roll a six on the dice, roll it again and add the dice. Do this until you don’t get anymore sixes.

Reloading
Flintlock weapons. Each takes a full round to reload after being discharged. You spend the next round reloading and may fire on your iniative on the round after reloading.

Range
Firearms have an additional 10 range increments, and suffer the standard –2 penalty per increment.
Dave B.
baran_i_kanu

Postby 3d6 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:08 pm

Well, it sounds like you're on to something, but I must say I've never given one iota of thought to this setting; it seems like you know what you're going for though, and the old familar D&D-type rules might be just the thing. I will be interested to see the Witch and Alchemist. Not sure what you have in mind for those classes, how they'll fit in as adventuring PCs, but again, I am completely ignorant about this. Good luck with your project!

[edit] Is there alignment, or do you just ditch it?
aka landlord.dombrowski on google
blog -> Bruno's Demise
3d6

Postby 3d6 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:30 pm

What do you award XP for?
It seems that all classes (thusfar) may use any armor and weapon. What types of armor are there? Mostly light? If poor ACs and deadly weapons/nasty monsters are the norm, won't PCs drop like flies?

I blame you ( :) ) for getting me thinking about a long-ago project of mine, that's had a few starts and I've never been able to work out, a Lost World/Land that Time Forgot/Pellucidar/Land of the Lost type thing. That is the only setting, besides the traditional fantasy d&d, that I'm interested in (although frankly I've never been able to generate much interest in others), but I've never been able to put it together. Even though this is completely different for yours, some of the "issues" are similar
aka landlord.dombrowski on google
blog -> Bruno's Demise
3d6

Postby baran_i_kanu » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:54 am

Nope ditched alignment for my games.
If individual DM's want to keep it, it shouldn't be an issue.

Witch and Alchemists: going for a more folklorey, Clark Ashton Smith take on them.
Longer casting times, waaaaaaaay longer, less flashy (no prismatic sphere or fireball), more orientation towards potions, charms, etc.
Dave B.
baran_i_kanu

Postby Atomic Ray » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:28 am

Looks like a plan.

I like that period also. The tech level is manageable and fun.

I would look to include

Mountain Man

Medicine Man

Brujo

Witch Hunter

“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby baran_i_kanu » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:28 pm

3d6 wrote:What do you award XP for?
It seems that all classes (thusfar) may use any armor and weapon. What types of armor are there? Mostly light? If poor ACs and deadly weapons/nasty monsters are the norm, won't PCs drop like flies?

I blame you ( :) ) for getting me thinking about a long-ago project of mine, that's had a few starts and I've never been able to work out, a Lost World/Land that Time Forgot/Pellucidar/Land of the Lost type thing. That is the only setting, besides the traditional fantasy d&d, that I'm interested in (although frankly I've never been able to generate much interest in others), but I've never been able to put it together. Even though this is completely different for yours, some of the "issues" are similar

I award xp for monsters defeated, treasure found (gp), role playing rewards, etc.
I'm very liberal at throwing xp around, as we do not run long term campaigns.

If they can scrounge a breast plate or leather armor, they are lucky.
it is deadly, they have to be smart and they do rely on the blackpowder weapons plenty. The physician will get a workout keeping people alive.
Dave B.
baran_i_kanu

Postby baran_i_kanu » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:30 pm

Atomic Ray wrote:Looks like a plan.

I like that period also. The tech level is manageable and fun.

I would look to include

Mountain Man
Medicine Man
Brujo
Witch Hunter

We could do specific classes for each, and that would be a bit from now because of all the projects i have going on.
but it could also be solved below:

Mountain Man can be done with multiclassing Scout and Soldier.
Witch Hunter, Minister and Soldier

The others: see below. :D
Last edited by baran_i_kanu on Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave B.
baran_i_kanu

Postby baran_i_kanu » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:31 pm

Magic in Averoigne and OSR Colonial
Spells and Spell Slots
Magic users in these settings (necromancers, witches, wizards, sorcerers, etc) use spell slots as in normal Old School games. They do not, however, memorize spells daily. They may freely cast any spell known up to a number of times per day as shown in the spell slots column.

Thus, in Labyrinth Lord, a 7th level Magic User can cast 3 first level spells per day. In these setting rules he does not have to memorize which three, but can cast any he knows as he needs them, even if it's the same spell up to the three per day limit.

Beginning Spells
First-level magicians start with a spellbook that contains three first-level spells (player’s choice) and one second-level spell (player’s choice). All other spells must be found, learned from a tutor (usually as an apprentice or a servant or other favor), or purchased (also usually for a steep fee).

Read Magic
Grimoires and other magical writings are often written in codes or even old or possibly alien languages. Read magic allows these to be understood.

Rituals
The magic user may cast rituals in place of personal spells if so chosen by the caster. Each ritual cast costs the caster the daily spell slot of the spell cast.

If our 7th level Magic User casts one of his three daily first level spells as a ritual, he can then only cast two more first level spells that day.

Ritual Casting Time:
Ten minutes per spell level (cannot be interupted or stopped once it has begun or the spell is lost and the slot forfeited.).

Requires material components:
Beads, bones, graveyard dirt, coffin nails, herbs, preserved and fresh pieces of humans and animals, pentagrams, chalk, candles, chalices, cauldrons, etc.

Benefits of Rituals:
Range is one mile per caster level.
Sympathetic magic (piece of persons body, possession,etc) adds a two penalty to the targets saving throw (if allowed.)

As an option the referee may wish to impose specific component requirements on certain spells particularly for those 7th level or higher.

Sacrifices
The magic user can also make sacrifices to boost he power of the ritual. It is a dark option, but an option none the less.

An animal sacrifice will cause those targets recieve a saving throw to recieve a two penalty to that save.

A sacrifice of a human being will garner the benefit of animal sacrifice plus the magic user will cast the spell as if he were a level higher.

Those whom are caught sacrificing humans will usually be showed no mercy by their neighbors, court, and church.

Infernal Magic
In exchange for power, the magic user can make an Infernal pact with the forces of Hell. In doing so, the magic user forfeits her immortal soul for power.

Any spell cast or ability used which requires the victim to make a saving throw penalizes that saving throw by two. In additon the magic user gains a familiar to help

The magic user has a few obligations to go along with the gain in power:
She must serve the powers of darkness in any way possible, causing mischief and strife in her community, using spells and rituals to curse and bewitch her neighbors.

Once per month she must attend a Sabbat, a meeting of witches, warlocks, and other practitioners of the dark arts whom have pledged themselves to the forces of Hell and must renew to pledge her loyalty to the forces of Hell and it's representatives at the Sabbat. Spells, potions, charms, and all manner of devilish knowledge are exchanged at these Sabbats. It is said the Devil himself sometimes attends.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witches'_Sabbath

Familiars
The magic user gains a familiar; a small toad or cat is common. The familiar is the magic user 's spy, and with total concentration (no movement, fighting, casting, etc) the magic user can see through the eyes of her familiar.

The familiar adds one level to the magic user . This includes all extra hp, saves, spells, bonuses to abilities, etc.

If the familiar is killed, the magic user loses all of the bonuses of the familiar until the next Sabbath, where a new familiar will be attached to her.

Those who go down this road are in great peril if caught.
They should be considered evil in the game.
The penalties for being accused of black magic and Infernalism are severe, and no mercy will usually be shown if the accused is proved to be a minion of the Devil.
Dave B.
baran_i_kanu

Postby baran_i_kanu » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:32 pm

The Witch
Attack: Cleric
Save As: Cleric
Armor Permitted: None
Prime Attribute (5% experience bonus): Wisdom 13+

Class Abilities
Spells
The Witch may cast the same number of spells per day as the Cleric in the base rulebook.

The Witch may cast both Cleric and Magic User spells. If a spell is listed as in both the Cleric and MU lists, the Witch uses the Clerical version.

Casting is modified as in the setting rules for Averoigne and OSR Colonial with the addition of rituals.

Potions, Salves, and Charms
A Witch may work any spell known into a potion, salve, or charm.
Potions must be drunk, salves applied to skin, and charms hidden on or in the house of the target of the spell.

Spells which compel the target to obey the caster, such as Charm, take effect as if the caster is the one who gave the item to the one who drank or used it.

Creation time is the same as for rituals and costs the daily spell slot of the spell used. The Witch can only make a number of items equal to her level, and each has a shelf life equal to the Witch's level in days.

Poisons
Given an hour of brew time, and the proper ingredients herbs such as human or animal parts, the Witch can create virulent poisons. The poison can be ingested, contact, or injected as the Witch desires. At first level the Witch's poison does 1d6 hp damage and an extra 1d6 at levels 3, 9, 12, 15, and 18. The poison is insidious and slow; starting one hour after exposure it does 1d6 damage per hour until the available d6's of poison are used or the vicitm is dead. A Saving Throw is allowed during the initial 1d6 hp loss and if successful, all damage done is for half damage as the poison runs its course.

The Witch can also make an antidote for the poison. When given it stops all damage.

Both poison and antitode have a shelf life of a number of days equal to the Witch's level.

The Witch has the option of practicing Infernal Witchcraft.
See Magic Setting rules for this.
Dave B.
baran_i_kanu

Next

Return to Open Workshop