Comments

Re: Comments

Postby Goblinoid Games » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:48 pm

FredH wrote:Say, Galactic Confederation, Galactic Federation, or the Treaty Worlds?

Re alternate settings, I mean in the sense that, say, Classic Traveller was a toolkit--instead of having to use the Third Imperium, you could use the rules as given to support a universe of the GM's design that had the same basic "shape" of the Imperium, but with all the details homebrewed. Likewise D&D: it doesn't have to be Greyhawk or Forgotten Realms, but most homebrewed settings will be similar-enough. So I'm imagining using S&S for various other homebrewed universes that still have the "shape" of That Show with altered details, just as the Galactic Confederacy universe does, with different details, aliens, etc. Basic play doesn't change significantly.

Oh, sure! The provided background is only about a page long. I think it would be simple to just scrap all of that if you want to customize your own history.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby FredH » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:30 am

For some reason the Beam Pistol/Electrostun Gun separation still hits me as odd, even though the original did it, maybe because the BP can already do everything except stun. I suspect I'll end up houseruling a combo "Phasable Energy Pistol" at 1 1/2 units.

Though the unit limitations on equipment, also from the original, also feel impractical. A fellow player in an original-edition one-shot found it very funny when he realized we basically had tp pay for our own spacesuits. What about making these *personal* equipment limitations, but allowing a ship's commander to order Stores to provide any crewman with mission-specific equipment up to a number of units equal to the commander's, to be returned upon end of adventure?
FredH

Postby kjc » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:28 am

FredH wrote:Say, Galactic Confederation, Galactic Federation, or the Treaty Worlds?

Personally I would avoid "Federation". "Treaty Worlds"...I like it, but it sounds more informal. "Galactic Confederation" sounds the most majestic while still being a "nod" to the source material. :D
"This looks like a place we've never been to before!"
-My five-year-old son
kjc

Postby Wulfgar22 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:33 pm

p.60 Actic should be Arctic, I believe. Also Inhospital should, perhaps, be Inhospitable.
Wulfgar22

Postby yojimbo » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:02 pm

Are the enlisted rank titles a leagacy of the first edition? If not, I'd suggest using naval enlisted ranks rather than army/marine enlisted ranks. From the tv series we have mentions of crewmen, yeoman and chiefs.

The ranks are:
E1 Spaceman Recruit
E2 Spaceman Apprentice
E3 Spaceman
E4 Petty Officer, 3rd Class
E5 Petty Officer, 2nd Class
E6 Petty Officer, 1st Class
E7 Chief Petty Officer
E8 Senior Chief Petty Officer
E9 Master Chief Petty Officer
Last edited by yojimbo on Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yojimbo

Postby Goblinoid Games » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:04 pm

Thanks yojimbo, that's a good suggestion!
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby Goblinoid Games » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:00 pm

yojimbo wrote:Are the enlisted rank titles a leagacy of the first edition? If not, I'd suggest using naval enlisted ranks rather than army/marine enlisted ranks. From the tv series we have mentions of crewmen, yeoman and chiefs.

The ranks are:
E1 Spaceman Recruit
E2 Spaceman Apprentice
E3 Spaceman
E4 Petty Officer, 3rd Class
E5 Petty Officer, 2nd Class
E6 Petty Officer, 1st Class
E7 Chief Petty Officer
E8 Senior Chief Petty Officer
E9 Master Chief Petty Officer

Forgot to comment on this, but I'm going to take your advice here, and enlisted men will have level 9 be max instead of 8.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby steelmax73 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:16 pm

I was wondering if you thought about adding shuttle pods and escape pods. will the ships have floor plans for the different classes of ships. I see Original Starships & Spacemen has one floor plan but i have no idea what class of ship it is. the art in the Original Starships & Spacemen and Star Explorer is spars and some of the ships pictured give no indication to what they are such as the two ships on page 1 and 6 of Star Explorer.
steelmax73

Postby mindshadow2k » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:13 am

Having a quick read through tonight. I am having a hard time trying to figure out why anyone would pick to be an enlisted crew over an officer. The XP track is faster but the skills scale around the same in looking at the XP allotment so they will really always be lesser in everything compared to the officer track.

Am I missing something? Why would anyone decide to be crew over officer?
mindshadow2k

Postby Travellingdave » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:37 pm

Having fun reading this revision. A couple of initial thoughts:

Make the Electrostun gun a 1/2 point weapon. It's not designed to kill and is less versatile than the beam pistol. Making it cheap also encourages it to be the default weapon.

Expand the equipment lists if you can, especially to provide examples of technology other races/cultures may have. What about conventional guns, even flintlocks? Perhaps just a couple of heavy weapons (like missiles or heavier beams)? What about replicators, repair kits, field food synthesizers, etc.
Travellingdave

PreviousNext

Return to Second Edition Playtest