The OSR Ecosystem

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

Re: The OSR Ecosystem

Postby Goblinoid Games » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:46 pm

Great post!
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby Skathros » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:36 am

Thanks Dan. I'm just basically thinking out loud, trying to figure out what my problem is with today's OSR.
WIZARDS' LORE: A Wizards' World fan site & home to Dungeon Delving Games.
OSRWTF: A more critical look at the movement from a disenchanted fan.
Skathros

Postby Goblinoid Games » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:09 pm

Skathros wrote:Thanks Dan. I'm just basically thinking out loud, trying to figure out what my problem is with today's OSR.

One of the problems is that now that people perceive there to be some money in it, people who otherwise wouldn't are getting involved and pushing an agenda. I suppose this is inevitable, and the good comes with the bad.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby dawnrazor » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:27 am

For me, the OSR movement means a living and thriving community of gamers that happens to play old games.

The "clones" are a legal means to produce new content for those old rules, and has meant that new and often excellent material are produced for those older games.

Internet forums, blogs and other media are excellent contact points to get to know other gamers or post your own gaming stuff - making contact surfaces much larger than before.

And the rules variants with added "house-rules" are great inspiration for our games. I've always house-ruled and tinkered with my DnD, and now I can be inspired by other gamers.

I love the fact that the OSR is driven by fans and that fans produce new content. And the fact that WotC has made the old stuff legally available again changes absolutely nothing. These games are mostly 99% compatible with no or very little conversion, and now there's a wealth of sources to choose from for your games.

These games are alive again. Enjoy and game on.
dawnrazor

Postby Eldrad » Fri May 03, 2013 12:47 am

For the Fans, By the Fans and don't get sued!
Eldrad

Previous

Return to Open Discussion