Clerics- No spell until Level 2?

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Clerics- No spell until Level 2?

Postby Blood axe » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:27 pm

In old red book (Moldvay) a Cleric did not get a spell until 2nd level.
I quote from the Holy Red book (Moldvay) :
" However, clerics do not receive any spells until they reach 2nd level. (and have proven their devotion to their god or goddess) "

Thoughts?
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Re: Clerics- No spell until Level 2?

Postby merias » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:36 pm

I kind of like this, too. It's that way in LL OEC, btw.

I remember reading on a forum somewhere that way back when Gary was putting OD&D characters through castle greyhawk, it was fairly routine to have the party pool their gold and give it to the cleric so they could level up faster and get that all-important first-level spell.
merias

Postby Blood axe » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:44 pm

I don't have OEC. I started with Moldvay though, back around '82 I think. No level 1 spell kind of helps balance the Cleric out. Hes a decent character with low XP.
Armor, spells, turning undead, etc.
Blood axe

Postby merias » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:00 am

Blood axe wrote:I don't have OEC.

The free, no-art version is here: http://goblinoidgames.com/shop/roleplaying-games/original-edition-characters-no-art.html

It's kind of hidden in the ebook shop, it probably should be linked with the other no-art versions on the LL product page.
merias

Postby petespahn » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:29 pm

I never liked this rule in BECMI. We always house ruled a spell at level 1 (usually CLW) just to keep everyone from having to go home and reboot after every fight.
Small Niche Games
NEW: Tower of Boon Companions: A Swords & Wizardry WhiteBox adventure for 3rd-5th level characters.
Also check smallnichegames out on Google+
petespahn

Postby Black Wyvern » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:34 pm

petespahn wrote:I never liked this rule in BECMI. We always house ruled a spell at level 1 (usually CLW) just to keep everyone from having to go home and reboot after every fight.

They get to stay for two instead.

I don't have a problem with clerics not getting a spell at first level. I have even house ruled it away in LL before when trying to get a closer to B/X feel. With no spell they at least get to take a spot in the party other than renewable potion of healing.
Last edited by Black Wyvern on Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Wyvern Press
Black Wyvern

Postby Blood axe » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:34 pm

Another rule ive seen that makes Clerics more useful is to allow them to exchange any spell for a cure spell. It lets them pray for other spells instead of loading up on healing.
Blood axe

Postby greyarea » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:41 pm

Another one I like is that clerics pray for spells as they say them. That is, they don't memorize spells at the beginning of the day (like magic users do), but pray for them in the middle of action. Kind of like JIT spells. So the cleric wouldn't prepare spells but just "get" spell slots available at the beginning of the day with their morning vespers. Then they use up those slots as the day goes so they don't choose which spells they get for the day in the morning.

This makes cleric magic different from (or is it "than") magic-user magic without significantly changing the rules.
greyarea

Postby Blood axe » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:51 pm

greyarea wrote:Another one I like is that clerics pray for spells as they say them. That is, they don't memorize spells at the beginning of the day (like magic users do), but pray for them in the middle of action. Kind of like JIT spells. So the cleric wouldn't prepare spells but just "get" spell slots available at the beginning of the day with their morning vespers. Then they use up those slots as the day goes so they don't choose which spells they get for the day in the morning.

This makes cleric magic different from (or is it "than") magic-user magic without significantly changing the rules.

Hmmm...I like it! If the Cleric is not sticking to his faith, he might get denied, get a weaker spell (bonus to save), etc.

Whats "JIT" spell ?
Blood axe

Postby greyarea » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:14 am

JIT == just in time
greyarea

Next

Return to Labyrinth Lord