[LL/AEC] Inconsistencies in armor stats

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

[LL/AEC] Inconsistencies in armor stats

Postby rabindranath72 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:33 pm

I have just found that some armor entries do not make sense at all. For example, a padded armor gives the same protection of leather, but it costs less and weighs less! Obviously these were ported from AD&D but evidently the bulk factor was "lost in translation." The original B/X armor types were "balanced," but some of the new armor types do not make sense neither in LL, nor in AEC. Notice the same happens with weapon types, which were balanced in AD&D and B/X, but when ported over to LL/AEC we get some nonsensical results (like the stats for the morningstar.)
Any reasonable solution apart from scrapping completely some armor types?
I also noticed that there are different armor stats in the equipment chapter w.r.t. the magic items section (which seems to conform to B/X.)
Again, what should be assumed "correct"?

Thanks,
Antonio
rabindranath72

Re: [LL/AEC] Inconsistencies in armor stats

Postby bighara » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:21 pm

There were a few discussions about this on the old boards. Here's one:
http://www.freeyabb.com/goblinoidgames/ ... php?t=2015

And a related blog post someone made:
http://dh.binkystick.com/index.php@acti ... 69509.html
bighara

Postby rabindranath72 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:35 pm

I wasn't on the old forum for a long time, so I missed it. Thanks for posting.
I think I am going to simply scrap leather armor, and rename studded leather as "leather." So we get a meaningful progression from AC8 to AC3.
rabindranath72

Postby Black Wyvern » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:42 am

I scrapped the weapon and armor charts and made my own. The game plays fine as is but there were just a couple sticking points for me.
Black Wyvern Press
Black Wyvern

Postby rabindranath72 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:51 am

Black Wyvern wrote:I scrapped the weapon and armor charts and made my own. The game plays fine as is but there were just a couple sticking points for me.

Don't get me wrong, I love LL/AEC; I like it so much, that it replaced my old Mentzer and AD&D books at my gaming table. And now each of my players has a copy of at least LL; I can't think of a better compliment. My comments are meant to raise some questions and hopefully improve the game.
rabindranath72

Postby Black Wyvern » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:02 am

rabindranath72 wrote:
Black Wyvern wrote:I scrapped the weapon and armor charts and made my own. The game plays fine as is but there were just a couple sticking points for me.

Don't get me wrong, I love LL/AEC; I like it so much, that it replaced my old Mentzer and AD&D books at my gaming table. And now each of my players has a copy of at least LL; I can't think of a better compliment. My comments are meant to raise some questions and hopefully improve the game.

Yup! It is a great game. It is a evolutionary step up the ladder of Moldvay/Cook to be sure. I was just agreeing, those two tables are concerns of mine as well. So much so that I replaced them.
Black Wyvern Press
Black Wyvern

Postby rabindranath72 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:37 pm

Probably the best way to solve the problem, is to assign different maximum movement rates, as is done in AD&D1e. This would replace the proto-ruling that wearing armour reduces movement to the next lower category (which doesn't solve the problem with padded armour anyway.)
This way we can keep the armour types (but still need to fix the magic armour stats.)
rabindranath72

Return to Labyrinth Lord