Why does LL hate Dwarves??

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Re: Why does LL hate Dwarves??

Postby Urieal » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:22 am

I found a Battle axe +2. I only have a plain long sword. Voila, there's your answer.
Urieal

Postby Blood axe » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:58 am

Urieal wrote:I found a Battle axe +2. I only have a plain long sword. Voila, there's your answer.

So only if you find a magic axe. Not much of an answer. A good reason to use damage/class.
Im not trying to be a jerk- but you get my point.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby aspiringlich » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:08 am

kingius wrote:Exactly and they get to use the Handaxe which is a d6 weapon so not too shabby. They are not supposed to out fight the fighter after all...

Probably true in LL, but what about the AEC dwarf fighter? I don't see why he shouldn't be equal to any other fighter. Of course, as a dwarf he does have special abilities and bonuses that the human fighter doesn't get, but already he pays for them by not advancing beyond 9th level.
aspiringlich

Postby kingius » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:23 am

I don't think the dwarf fighter should outshine the human fighter with equivalent stats, in either version. The dwarf is more durable due to his high saving throws anyway, so he already has an advantage there. Min/maxing should be discouraged. This isn't third edition, after all. Just my view.
kingius

Postby kingius » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:27 am

Postby Blood axe » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:51 pm

kingius wrote:Exactly and they get to use the Handaxe which is a d6 weapon so not too shabby. They are not supposed to out fight the fighter after all...

I disagree to a point. He is NOT suppose to outfight the Fighter, but he should be on par or very very close. If a Dwarf isn't a warrior, then what is a Dwarf then?
A spellcaster? A Scout?

A dwarf is a stubborn warrior who is durable. He's a good man to take on the giant spiders due to his high saving throws and is the dungeon expert, seeing differences in the construction and realising when the level changes and so on. He's trading outright fighting ability for some hefty advantages, odds wise, to survival.

Why would anyone use a battleaxe (d8 2-hands) over a sword(d8 1-hand/shield)?

You could chop trees down with an axe, gathering firewood for a camp, it's a more versatile (outside of combat) weapon. I will be including this in the computer game because warmth is needed when camping out in the wilderness.
kingius

Postby Urieal » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:48 am

kingius wrote:I don't think the dwarf fighter should outshine the human fighter with equivalent stats, in either version. The dwarf is more durable due to his high saving throws anyway, so he already has an advantage there. Min/maxing should be discouraged. This isn't third edition, after all. Just my view.

+1

Use a battle axe because you want your PC to use a battle axe. Min/maxing is for chumps.
Urieal

Postby aspiringlich » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:21 am

I don't see this as a min/maxing issue. The dwarf can just as easily do d8 damage with a long sword or scimitar. I think the issue is that many people have an iconic image in their minds, thanks to Tolkien, of the burly dwarf swinging his battle axe, and are a bit miffed that the LL rules prohibit their character from living up to that image.
aspiringlich

Postby kingius » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:56 pm

I would say to those people that the hand axe is the dwarf's battle axe, as the light hammer is the dwarf's hammer. I believe that is what is intended in Labyrinth Lord. Tolkien should not be used as a reference point for games that are not set in Middle Earth.
kingius

Postby greyarea » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:13 pm

Tolkien, as well as other Appendix N authors, is an appropriate point for reference for D&D and clones.
greyarea

Postby Blood axe » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:21 pm

Urieal wrote:
kingius wrote:I don't think the dwarf fighter should outshine the human fighter with equivalent stats, in either version. The dwarf is more durable due to his high saving throws anyway, so he already has an advantage there. Min/maxing should be discouraged. This isn't third edition, after all. Just my view.

+1

Use a battle axe because you want your PC to use a battle axe. Min/maxing is for chumps.

That's hilarious! A class whos main role is fighting, that wants to use a 1-h weapon that does d8 is min/maxing!? :D
Thanks for the laugh.

As AspiringLich stated- a Dwarf can already do that with a sword. The axe/hammer are iconic for a Dwarf.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

PreviousNext

Return to Labyrinth Lord