Just finished my current campaign map

This forum is for sharing your maps, and map making tips or ideas.

Just finished my current campaign map

Postby scadgrad » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:34 pm

I used the Adobe Illustrator files from the Mystara.Thorf site and just ran with it. There's got to be a simpler way of doing it because the symbols he has on the Map layer do not match up with the hex grid on the layer above. That menas you have to Alt drag things around which is very time consuming. Anyone with a quicker method, I'd surely like to hear it. :)

I usually do more hand drawn sorts of maps like this one:

But, since we're playing OD&D via LL, I thought having a hex map for exploration would be more appropriate. Of course, my current cast of characters lack a ranger so exploration would likely turn into wandering aimlessly in the wilderness for days, if not weeks.
scadgrad

Re: Just finished my current campaign map

Postby jcftao » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:45 pm

The hand drawn map is wonderful. I'd rather have one like this than a hex map. I've taken my own hand drawn maps and have overlaid a hex grid on it before.
jcftao

Postby John Adams » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:12 pm

Very, very nice!
John Adams

Postby knightvision » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:08 am

@skadgrad

Do you do commission work for maps?
Website/blog: Knightvisiongames.com
KVG produces Labyrinth Lord adventure modules. Check out the blog and Twitter feed to stay connected.
Twitter: @kvgames
knightvision

Postby Pat » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:37 am

That B&W map is very pretty
Read my blog, or the torchbearer gets it! http://henchmanabuse.blogspot.com
Pat

Postby scadgrad » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:19 am

Why thanks guys. Yeah, I usually do hand rendered maps and such:

more of my maps and doodles

I just wanted to have a go at a OD&D-looking map like those in the GH works and the ones from Mystara, RC, etc.

@ Knightvision, sure maps, illustration, layout. If it sounds like fun, I'll take it on. I'm an Art Prof who basically just doodles these days while my kids are youngsters, but I'd be happy to do some work for you, particularly if it's OSR sorts of stuff. Just drop me an email if you've something in mind.
scadgrad

Postby Dyson Logos » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:39 pm

scadgrad wrote:There's got to be a simpler way of doing it because the symbols he has on the Map layer do not match up with the hex grid on the layer above. That menas you have to Alt drag things around which is very time consuming. Anyone with a quicker method, I'd surely like to hear it. :)

Have you tried Hexographer?
Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Postby jasmith » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:49 pm

scadgrad wrote:I used the Adobe Illustrator files from the Mystara.Thorf site and just ran with it. There's got to be a simpler way of doing it because the symbols he has on the Map layer do not match up with the hex grid on the layer above. That menas you have to Alt drag things around which is very time consuming. Anyone with a quicker method, I'd surely like to hear it. :)

If you're asking what I think you are, I use Gimp and the Snap to Grid option solves this problem, even with the Hex layer being above the one I'm working on. I would assume that Adobe has a similar function. I'm not sure exactly how you're doing it, though. I save any hexes I'm using as brushes and populate the map that way. Very nice maps :D , by the way.
Last edited by jasmith on Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasmith

Postby knightvision » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:55 pm

scadgrad wrote:Why thanks guys. Yeah, I usually do hand rendered maps and such:

more of my maps and doodles

I just wanted to have a go at a OD&D-looking map like those in the GH works and the ones from Mystara, RC, etc.

@ Knightvision, sure maps, illustration, layout. If it sounds like fun, I'll take it on. I'm an Art Prof who basically just doodles these days while my kids are youngsters, but I'd be happy to do some work for you, particularly if it's OSR sorts of stuff. Just drop me an email if you've something in mind.

Thanks, I'll drop you a line.
Website/blog: Knightvisiongames.com
KVG produces Labyrinth Lord adventure modules. Check out the blog and Twitter feed to stay connected.
Twitter: @kvgames
knightvision

Postby connivingsumo » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:26 pm

@scadgrad:

Nice Map!! I hit the link to your doodle site and I really like your work! Do you do everything in ink, or do you use any other media?
SUCCESSFUL "TRADES" with: tumblingdice x2, Blood axe, and Kipper! ~ thanks to all of you! :D

"Be the change you want to see in the world." ~Gandhi
“If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.” ~J.R.R. Tolkien
connivingsumo

Next

Return to Maps and Map Making