What movies best rep your vision of Post Apoc game setting?

For Discussion of all things Mutant Future (especially spidergoats).

Which movies that best represent your vision of Post Apoc Gaming heaven?

28 Days/Weeks Later...rage virus makes life rough and ugly
No votes
Mad Max(s)...vehicle mayhem
19%
The Road/The Book of Eli...tough going, hard, and gritty
No votes
Children of Men...near zero birth rate nearly destroys the PSH race
No votes
I Am Legend/The Omega Man...99.9% of PSH are gone...vampiric ghouls remain
4%
The Walking Dead...zombie apocalypse
No votes
Logan's Run/THX-1138...sealed dome cities exist beyond the ruin of it all, population is controlled
19%
The Stand...forces of good and evil battle for the remains of the day and the people left after it all
No votes
The Terminator...AI that wants to enslave humanity or remove it...uses robots as agents of destruction
No votes
Planet of the Apes...or dogs or rats or whatever
23%
Waterworld...world covered by more water then there is now
No votes
Matrix...AI uses mankind to fuel the great machine...the skies are dark, the land is wasted, the seas are barren
No votes
The Postman...fewer people, the world survived fairly intact, technology took a hit
12%
Akira...mutations are springing up and some have powers to rival great bombs
No votes
Reign of Fire...dragons (or perhaps other monsters) wreck the world as we know it
4%
The Day After Tomorrow...the world's climate shifts and bad things happen
4%
City of Ember...vaulted city, sealed away to allow the bad times to pass...the doors do not open when they should
No votes
Resident Evil...the T-virus and Umbrella Corp do bad things to good people
4%
Salute Of The Jugger...rusty future like the Mad Max without vehicles
No votes
Nausicaä...toxic jungles grow over most of the world
12%

Total votes : 26

What movies best rep your vision of Post Apoc game setting?

Postby Atomic Ray » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:30 pm

That pretty much says it...I will provide a list of 20 with options for three choices...if you choose more than one it is assumed they are combined...if so please mention it below so we can all share :)

I could never list them all so if yours is not there, then please add it via posting :D
“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Re: What movies best rep your vision of Post Apoc game setti

Postby Atomic Ray » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:53 am

There is an interesting combo...

Logan's Run/THX-1138...sealed dome cities exist beyond the ruin of it all, population is controlled
Planet of the Apes...or dogs or rats or whatever
The Day After Tomorrow...the world's climate shifts and bad things happen

I like it!
“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby gentleman john » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:17 pm

I have lots of love for "A Nymphoid Barbarian in Dinosaur Hell". One of Troma's finest movies, in my humble opinion. It had everything. Post-apocalyptic jungles, dinosaurs, women in fur bikinis ...

Also, while not post-apocalyptic movies strictly, I have two honourable mentions. Dr Who and the Daleks (the Hammer movie) is the reason I feel the need to put petrified forests in post-apocalyptic worlds. The Dalek Invasion of Earth 2150AD (another Hammer movie) just because it depicts London conquered by daleks, and does the dirty on Reading!
gentleman john

Postby seneschal » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:07 pm

Of the listed ones, I picked Planet of the Apes, Logan's Run and Nausicaa. All classy, thoughtful sci-fi.

Other favorites:

Buck Rogers in the 25th Century was originally a post-apocalyptic tale, with American "savages" quietly rebuilding their civilization enough to battle high-tech conquerors. The invaders lived in bubble cities, the rest of the war-ravaged continent had reverted to pristine wilderness. They didn't get into outer space until later in the saga.

The Genesis Survivor Gaiarth triology, sort of a cross between Komandi, Last Boy on Earth and a D&D/Gamma World campaign -- a boy raised by a robot soldier that survived the Last War becomes a hero as he strives to defeat The General, who is attempting to conquer the world's fragile new civilization with a robot army. Powerful electromagnetic gear stands in for "magic."

The Fog Mound trilogy -- in a world stuffed with ruined cities and artifacts but devoid of humans, talking animals struggle to discover what happened to the strange creatures who presumably created them.
seneschal

Postby Atomic Ray » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:45 pm

seneschal wrote:The Genesis Survivor Gaiarth triology, sort of a cross between Komandi, Last Boy on Earth and a D&D/Gamma World campaign -- a boy raised by a robot soldier that survived the Last War becomes a hero as he strives to defeat The General, who is attempting to conquer the world's fragile new civilization with a robot army. Powerful electromagnetic gear stands in for "magic."

The Fog Mound trilogy -- in a world stuffed with ruined cities and artifacts but devoid of humans, talking animals struggle to discover what happened to the strange creatures who presumably created them.

I have not seen these two...I am on it!

Sounds like great stuff.

"A Nymphoid Barbarian in Dinosaur Hell"...whoa :roll:
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby seneschal » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:23 pm

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0158632/

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... or+Gaiarth

Unfortunately, Genesis Survivor Gaiarth seems to have been only released on VHS (which is how I saw it, rented from Hollywood Video, years ago). But, hey, it is cheap if you order the last copies now. ;)

The Fog Mound trilogy is actually a book series which combines comic panels with prose. But it certainly is deserving of being brought to the screen by somebody. Try the first book, Travels of Thelonious, and see what you think.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... =Fog+Mound
seneschal

Postby gentleman john » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:21 pm

That and I just found out that Troma has a Youtube channel!

Toxic Avenger marathon, anyone?
gentleman john

Postby Gavin » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:36 am

What, no Fist of the North Star?

I voted for Mad Max.
Gavin

Postby Thoth Amon » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:02 am

Hell Comes to Frogtown.
Thoth Amon

Postby Malcadon » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:51 pm

Not so much a movie, but this visual will do: :ugeek:

Yeah! :mrgreen:
Malcadon

Location: I'm at your game table, fuled by caffeine and madness!!!

Next

Return to Mutant Future