Recharging Magical Items

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Re: Recharging Magical Items

Postby bat » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:29 pm

That is a great way to get the party roleplaying. Maybe high level wizards can expend a spell for a charge or three, or perhaps alchemists know magical formulaes to recharge those magic items. The breath of dragons might do the same (Wand of Fireballs could be recharged by a red dragon's breath). I wouldn't go too far out there, though, but finding ways to recharge magic items could be a great little adventure in its own right.
bat

Postby Dyson Logos » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:02 pm

In general, I just don't bring it up in my games and rarely allow it.

I like "disposable" magic items for whatever reason. At the same time, I love the idea of adding one charge to every wand and staff and so on in the party after they survive being blasted by a powerful dragon's breath weapon...
Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Postby Mr.Joel » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:07 pm

Sometimes I allow recharging, limited by two factors: Time and money.

It takes 24 hours to imbue a new charge into an item, and a number of rare, pricy ingredients, typically 500 gp worth. This is enough to discourage casual use, yet allow a powerful character to start a major quest with his items charged up. If it becomes abusive, phoenix dust (or whatever) becomes unobtainable at any price. You want it, quest for it! :)
====
Mr. Joel
Faster Monkey Games
http://fastermonkeygames.com
Mr.Joel

Postby Dyson Logos » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:13 am

Ever since playing in a Pendragon campaign, time hasn't been a very restricted resource in my campaigns. Most campaigns involve the characters getting together to adventure once or twice a year, and doing their "normal" stuff in the meantime. It prevents the "zero-to-hero in six months" issue, and gives the characters time to work on their backstory material.
Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Return to Labyrinth Lord