Playtest PbP

Playtest PbP

Postby Atomic Ray » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:10 pm

Greetings fellow S&Sers!

Ok so let us talk about a playtest game.

Let us say right up front that I think we should stick with the 2nd edition as is, no house rules of any kind...just play the game as is.

That said...who is interested?

I had a game idea in the works just prior to the 2nd edition becoming available, but if someone else has a game idea and is ready to run...stand up and be counted!

I have two core ideas to work with and would be happy going with either:

The Great Ring...a massive object of clearly ancient design and form phases into known space and everyone is eager to investigate...the powers that be all want to be involved so a combined species ship will be sent in to study the object while a blockade is established around the ring to prevent attacks or sabotage.

or

Outpost 1134...a far far far outpost established to increase information about the fringe of the galaxy...there is a space station and a handful of smaller explorer class ships.

I would be up for running with some help as we learn the new system or playing in another's game.
“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Re: Playtest PbP

Postby kjc » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:12 am

You know I'm in A'Ray! :mrgreen:
"This looks like a place we've never been to before!"
-My five-year-old son
kjc

Postby gentleman john » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:25 pm

Thinking of something myself. However, I'm not sure how well it would work over the forum.

Still looking forward to your not-Trek game, though.
gentleman john

Postby Goblinoid Games » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:26 pm

If you guys want to do p-b-p I can set you up in the regular section. It's fine with me if other people see what you are doing--might even help get more interest!
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby Atomic Ray » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:26 am

I am pouring over the game to be more in touch with all the in's and out's, but yes I am interested.

Which direction would you guys prefer?

The Great Ring...a massive object of clearly ancient design and form phases into known space and everyone is eager to investigate...the powers that be all want to be involved so a combined species ship will be sent in to study the object while a blockade is established around the ring to prevent attacks or sabotage.

or

Outpost 1134...a far far far outpost established to increase information about the fringe of the galaxy...there is a space station and a handful of smaller explorer class ships.
“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby kjc » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:09 am

The Great Ring sounds like a dungeon crawl, whereas the Outpost 1134 seems more like a "sandbox" approach. Does that sound accurate A'Ray?
-My five-year-old son
kjc

Postby Atomic Ray » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:27 pm

kjc wrote:The Great Ring sounds like a dungeon crawl, whereas the Outpost 1134 seems more like a "sandbox" approach. Does that sound accurate A'Ray?

Hmmm I had not thought of it like that but I guess that would be appropriate :D
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby Koren n'Rhys » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:52 pm

I'd be up for a PBP just to get a feel for how the system plays compared to LL.

While the "Great Ring" premise sounds cool, I think the more sandboxy Outpost game will let us shake down more of the rules.
Obligatory Blogroll:
Kingdoms in Trevail for my RC D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"
RetroCyberpunk where I work on a Shadowrun retro-clone[/size]
Koren n'Rhys

Postby gentleman john » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:26 pm

Go with Outpost 1134, then.
gentleman john

Postby kjc » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:45 am

Koren n'Rhys wrote:While the "Great Ring" premise sounds cool, I think the more sandboxy Outpost game will let us shake down more of the rules.

I was thinking the same thing! :)
-My five-year-old son
kjc

Next

Return to Second Edition Playtest