Drow, Dark Elf

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Re: Drow, Dark Elf

Postby xmanowarx » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:11 am

yeah? even with perpetual negative modifiers? i thought maybe the lack of daytime healing and the light exposure would balance things out a bit...that, and the fact that most hirelings have a decent chance of ditching the party. as lomg as someone has a torch lit they're at least eating a -1 dex and a minus to all rolls. i was thinking of ditching the additional attribute bonus and the saving throw bonus...they were last minute add ons.
xmanowarx

Postby Blood axe » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:25 am

xmanowarx wrote:yeah? even with perpetual negative modifiers? i thought maybe the lack of daytime healing and the light exposure would balance things out a bit...that, and the fact that most hirelings have a decent chance of ditching the party. as lomg as someone has a torch lit they're at least eating a -1 dex and a minus to all rolls. i was thinking of ditching the additional attribute bonus and the saving throw bonus...they were last minute add ons.

Ambidextrous? Does that mean two weapon fighting? Thats pretty powerful right there. Its all just opinion, I hope you dont take offense.
Id like something pretty simple for LL, with a bit more for AEC. Maybe we can kick around some ideas?
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby xmanowarx » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:42 am

no offense taken! no worries - kick away! i'd remove the save bonuses and only give them a +2 to an attribute. yeah, the ambidexterity would allow them two weapon fighting...but unless they're fighting in the dark they'll have penalties to hit and for damage (and potentially a worse ac). i was also thinking maybe they just cant get healed by lawful clerics at all...but will that nerf them too much? not sure.

obviously what i made is for core LL...for AEC im not sure what id do. the orginal drow were REALLY overpowered.
xmanowarx

Postby Blood axe » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:40 am

Im rereading Homeland , the dark elf trilogy by R.A. Salvatore. I find the war & treachery between the Drow houses fascinating. It would be a great game. Managing your house, gathering troops, making deals, gaining status, etc.
Blood axe

Postby Eldrad » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:47 pm

How would one survive IF his party found a dark elf city in a dungeon? Would he avoid the city entirely? Would you be afraid as a player to encounter such a horrible place?
Eldrad

Postby Blood axe » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:05 pm

Eldrad wrote:How would one survive IF his party found a dark elf city in a dungeon? Would he avoid the city entirely? Would you be afraid as a player to encounter such a horrible place?

Its in a series of adventures. Vault of the Drow, Descent into the Depths of the Earth, Shrine of the Kuo-toans.
A city of Drow & another city of Kuo-Toa. Its for high level, kick-a$$ characters, and even then..... :twisted:
Blood axe

Postby Eldrad » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:38 pm

SO what if you were not so high level? Let's say 1st to 3rd level? :o

The reason being there might be a few Drow in my free Back to the Dungeon Zine Issue 3. Just maybe a small settlement of a few hundred or so.

The idea of Drow scare me!

The idea of the danger of sneaking around a Drow city would be terrifying even if I were a bad ass fighter or wizard!

Even if I was with a party that had hired 10 retainers.

AAHHHHHH! I am running! :arrow:
Eldrad

Postby Blood axe » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:47 pm

A low level (1-3) character going to the Underdark, or a Drow city is pretty much screwed. Most likely, he will end up a slave, somethings dinner, or worse. Come to think of it, there was an adventure of a Drow outpost in an old Dragon mag. I think it was pretty low level, I'll look it up.

--------------------

Found it!! Dragon magazine #73 Forest of Doom, Levels 4-7. So not that low. But probably could be finished by a large party of lower levels.

Lots of good stuff here:: :D

http://archive.org/search.php?query=col ... publicdate

Just go to "advanced search" and type in "dragon 73 ".
Blood axe

Postby Blood axe » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:43 pm

For LL , it should be simple. An extra spell per day, picked from those innate Drow abilities, light sensitivity, outcast......and another beneficial ability to balance it.
Maybe magic Resistance +2 vs magic, or brutal- +1 hit/damage. But otherwise as an Elf.

AEC , it can be a bit more complex.
Blood axe

Postby Eldrad » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:20 am

Here is a Drow for the AEC

Requirements: INT 9
Ability Modifiers: DEX +1, CON -1
Ability Min/Max: STR 3/18 (16), DEX 7/19, CON 6/18
INT 8/18, WIS 3/18, CHA 3/18

Also known as dark elves, drow are a depraved and evil demonworshipping subterranean offshoot. White is the most common hair color among drow, with ebony skin and eyes a vivid red. Like other elves, they tend to be 5' tall and slight of build.

A Player Character is most likely going to be a Drow outcast. Never allowed to go home and never accepted in the civilized world.

They have 120" infravision, and if abruptly exposed to light are blinded for 1 rounds. In addition, when in bright light including sunlight they suffer -2 to hit and -2 to DEX.

Drow have keen hearing and are surprised only on 1 on 1d8; they move silently with 90% efficiency in leather armor or the special Drow armor and in a group made up of all Drow. If not then it is only a +20% to Move Silently.

Drow typically attack with short swords or afar with darts which are coated with poison. Victims must save versus poison at -4 or fall unconscious for 1d4 turns. Player character Drow start out with 1d6 darts but cannot replace them.

Drow can use the following spell-like abilities once per day: dancing lights, darkness, and faerie fire.

May use two light weapons without penalty

All drow save versus magical effects with a +2.

In addition, drow of 4th level or higher of any class have the following spell-like abilities once per day: detect magic, know alignment, and levitate.

Finally, female drow are more powerful than males, and once per day have the abilities of clairvoyance, detect lie, dispel magic, and suggestion.

Adjustment
Pick Locks -5%
Pick Pockets +5%
Move Silently +20%
Hide in Shadows +10%
Hear Noise +1*
*Elves receive a better dice range for hearing noises. For example,
1st level elven thieves hear noises on a 1-3, and at 9th level it is 1-5.
Hear noise may never be better than 1-5.

Dark Males
Assassin 10
Cleric 7
Fighter 10
Magic User 12
Ranger 6

Dark Females
Assassin 10
Cleric U
Fighter 12
Magic User 5
Ranger 6

Half-Drow only retain the Drow weaknesses and none of the strengths.
Eldrad

Previous

Return to Labyrinth Lord