Back to Daggerford

badams30's Labyrinth Lord p=b-p game.

Moderator: badams30

Re: Back to Daggerford

Postby Spanningtree » Tue May 27, 2014 4:38 pm

Nahin - Elf

Our immediate task should be to see the caravan to safety. We can stoke the flames of retribution after they are safe. They can keep the gold as far as I'm concerned.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Spanningtree

Postby badams30 » Tue May 27, 2014 5:42 pm

As you speak amongst yourselves, the guards hoist the bodies of the dead into the empty wagon and do a quick search of the area before mounting up again. Grossbart walks toward his wagon and says "Thank you for staying with us. We've heard of increases in the numbers of ambushes and incursions on our route, but never anything so blatant. I'll be visiting the militia about this when we arrive." (he doesn't seem to know you are affiliated with them)

As everyone mounts back up, the wagons slowly start to roll ahead, leaving behind the crackling of the burning wagons. Grossbart informs you that they'll be picking up speed a bit, and should be in Daggerford tomorrow evening, assuming no delays.

Within the hour, the temperature starts to drop and a slow but steady snow begins to fall. Around 3PM, the column suddenly stops, and the guards ride forward to investigate an approaching formation. You get ready to dismount, but as you start to leave the wagon, the nature of the approaching formation is apparent - it's a herd of about 20 cattle, looking rather haggard and ill kempt. After some quick discussion, Some of the guards rope the cows together and start to lead them along.

You pass several areas on the tradeway with camping sites, and Grossbart comes by to tell you that he intends to stake camp at a small grove of trees with some overhead cover a few miles down the way. He shrugs and says "I'm going to ask that we only have fires until dark, so we don't draw any visitors if they are around, and we'll keep double watch, just to be safe." He smiles and says "Any precautions or anything you'd like to take when we stop?"

(Grossman will agree to any reasonable accomodations or suggestions)

You proceed on till about 400PM and ahead is a tall stand of several hundred acres of tall pines that seem fairly open. The guards take a moment to scout the area and give the all clear, and you begin to carefully pull the wagons off the road and into the treeline. About 200 feet inside the treeline is a well-concealed camp site that is a bit tight, but obviously offers some fine cover for your group.

Quickly, fires are lit and food is started to be cooked, in anticipation of no fires later.

Any plans or precautions? Grossman leaves your watch and special precautions to your group, and sees to it that you are all fed as soon as food is available.
badams30

Postby Spanningtree » Tue May 27, 2014 7:34 pm

Nagin - Elf

I thinking they could be paralleling us through the forest. With this herd in tow we may actually be a better target. A larger watch than normal is warranted, I feel.... Those without night vision might be fighting at a severe disadvantage, if something should come about. Maybe set up a couple of unlit bonfires spaced apart in the event something happens?

OCC: Nahin's spells are charm person and magic missile.
Spanningtree

Postby greyarea » Tue May 27, 2014 7:38 pm

Marcus, paladin

I agree, Nahin. The Dutybound should supplement the caravan's normal watch, which should be doubled, if possible. Although they might be paralleling us, they could be circling around or trying to follow from behind as well. We need to keep watch at all points. Let's also presoak the bonfies in lamp-oil so they light quickly -- they can be an alarm and also take away any night-vision advantage our potential foes might have.
greyarea

Postby badams30 » Wed May 28, 2014 1:27 am

Grossbart agrees to your suggestions, "Ah, good ideas. We have a couple of casks of oil, I'll have the men gather the sticks and tinder. If you wouldn't mind, can you scout the perimeter a bit? I've been using this site when I've felt a bit uneasy, and never been attacked here. Most of the baddies expect you to camp in the clearings north of here, or make a break for Daggerford. May Tymora shine upon us this night. I thank you for your help. I am comforted knowing that heroes such as yourself are here."

You do a cursory scout of the perimeter, and you find Grinkle already at work strewing twigs and sticks across forest paths. He has a sly smile on his face and he says "If something' comes this way, they'll step on the twigs and make a racket." His strategy seems sound.

Grossbart loosely ties the cattle, and one of the guards says to Marcus, "Sir, Master Grossbart has asked me to position the cattle near the middle of the site. He has told me to inform you that in the event of attack, you are encouraged to stampede the cattle. He has no interest of their value if they can save us."

Grossbart tells the caravan guards to not pitch tents, and be ready to move if needed. It's a cold, flurry filled night, but the snow doesn't seem to be accumulating at the moment.

Any last preparations?
badams30

Postby Spanningtree » Wed May 28, 2014 5:02 pm

Nahin - Elf

I think that's all we can do, let's stay frosty. Certain something is afoot he will take his normal watch and also stay awake for most if not all of the night. He figures he can catch a nap in the wagon the next day.
Spanningtree

Postby tumblingdice » Thu May 29, 2014 10:19 am

Rory regards Grinkle as he lays down twigs and branches. "Clever," he admits with a nod of the head. He keeps an eye out for trouble.

OC: Cattle stampede? I love it! Reminds me, once again, of Blazing Saddles...

[Sheriff Bart, disguised as a Klansman, describes his qualifications as a villain]
Bart: Stampeding cattle.
Hedley Lamarr: That's not much of a crime.
Bart: Through the Vatican?
Hedley Lamarr: [smiling] Kinkyyyy. Sign here.
Get thee to the dungeon. Get thee to the dungeon forthwith. Pass not the barbican. Amass not 200 GP.
tumblingdice

Postby badams30 » Sat May 31, 2014 12:29 pm

As darkness falls, the wind and snow pick up somewhat, and before an hour has passed, small drifts begin to form beside the wagons. It isn't bone chilling cold, but uncomfortable. Marcus sits unfazed, compliments of his Dagger. Everyone else stays bundled and lamenting the lack of a fire.

The watch schedule boils down to:
1. Marcus/Grinkle + 2 guards
2. Rory/Nahin + 2 guards
3. Jayce/Guard Captain +2 guards
4. 4 guards

As the night progresses, the wind picks up, as does the snow. The wind howls fiercely, and the trees creak and groan with the alternating breezes. Marcus and Grinkle have a cold but uneventful watch, and about an hour into Rory and Nahin's shift, one of the guards slinks over, wide-eyed and motions toward the road, not visible due to the depth into the forest and the blowing snow. He has to get right in Rory's ear and shouts "Riders! A lot of them. Approaching from the North! I don't think they see us, 4 or 5 came ahead, and I can see a column coming behind them, slowly."

Judging from what he says, you probably have 1-2 minutes before the riders will be near the grove. The grove is set back from the road by about 100ft, and you are a further few hundred feet inside. The guard was in a small position hidden near the edge of the grove. When you entered the grove, there wasn't enough snow to leave tracks, FYI.

Rory and Nahin, actions?
badams30

Postby tumblingdice » Sat May 31, 2014 11:35 pm

"Right," Rory says. "Wake our companions. But be quiet about it."

He starts with the paladin.
Get thee to the dungeon. Get thee to the dungeon forthwith. Pass not the barbican. Amass not 200 GP.
tumblingdice

Postby greyarea » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:49 am

Marcus, paladin

Marcus wakes quietly. He meets Rory's eyes and nods, and rouses, ready for battle.
greyarea

PreviousNext

Return to Forgotten Realms: Northlands of Adventure