New Character Creator

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

New Character Creator

Postby blueFire » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:52 pm

I created a Character Creator which can be used to create starting (1st level) characters for Labyrinth Lord. It also has the ability to create a totally random 1st level character. It has also been optimized to work on mobile devices as well as desktop computers. More features will be added in the future (including the ability to use it to create characters higher then first level). A direct link to the program is: http://www.bluefiregames.com/characterCreator/index.html. If you find any bugs please report them to me via private email at CC@bluefiregames.com. The program has been written in HTML5 so it should work in all modern browsers (or at least those that support HTML5) and it is available for anyone that wishes to use it free of charge.

Jason
http://www.bluefiregames.com
blueFire

Re: New Character Creator

Postby kipper » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:30 pm

I rolled up a few "Random Characters". My first character had awesome stats (perhaps just luck), two 16's and the rest 13's. After that, however, every random character had the exact same stats for every ability (eg, all 10's, or all 9's, etc...). Probably a bug.

Also, I find the blue font / black background hard to read.

Generator looks promising though!

And yeah, I know you said to email you directly, but I'm too lazy :D. *shrug*
kipper

Postby blueFire » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:25 pm

kipper wrote:I rolled up a few "Random Characters". My first character had awesome stats (perhaps just luck), two 16's and the rest 13's. After that, however, every random character had the exact same stats for every ability (eg, all 10's, or all 9's, etc...). Probably a bug.

Also, I find the blue font / black background hard to read.

Generator looks promising though!

And yeah, I know you said to email you directly, but I'm too lazy :D. *shrug*

I found and fixed the bug causing stats to be the same each time. Be sure and reload the web page in your browser the next time you go there to get the updated version. Thank you for reporting this and it is perfectly alright to use this thread to report bugs instead of the email address.

What font colors/background combinations would you recommend?

Jason
http://www.bluefiregames.com
blueFire

Postby aspiringlich » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:26 am

Unless I'm just not seeing it, there's no explicit entry for the character's class.

The font is a little dark against the black background. I think a black font against a light background (like what you see in this forum) would be more readable. Just whatever you do, don't use a white font against a black background. That's murder on the eyes.
aspiringlich

Postby blueFire » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:45 am

aspiringlich wrote:Unless I'm just not seeing it, there's no explicit entry for the character's class.

If you are talking about the character sheet the class is listed on the second line down in the middle of the page directly under the character sheet heading.

aspiringlich wrote:The font is a little dark against the black background. I think a black font against a light background (like what you see in this forum) would be more readable. Just whatever you do, don't use a white font against a black background. That's murder on the eyes.

I will probably change the page colors to something different after I experiment with it a bit.

Jason
blueFire

Postby aspiringlich » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:11 pm

blueFire wrote:
aspiringlich wrote:Unless I'm just not seeing it, there's no explicit entry for the character's class.

If you are talking about the character sheet the class is listed on the second line down in the middle of the page directly under the character sheet heading.

No, I was talking about the random generator. It shows all the other info, but it doesn't say anywhere what your class is.
aspiringlich

Postby blueFire » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:11 am

aspiringlich wrote:No, I was talking about the random generator. It shows all the other info, but it doesn't say anywhere what your class is.

I have included a screen shot below with the class circled in yellow on it. The character was generated by the random generator.

Jason

blueFire

Postby aspiringlich » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:35 am

Hmm, must be something with my browser. It cuts off the top part and only shows the stuff from the 3rd line downward.
aspiringlich

Postby blueFire » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:13 am

aspiringlich wrote:Hmm, must be something with my browser. It cuts off the top part and only shows the stuff from the 3rd line downward.

What browser do you use?
Is it the most recent version?

Jason
blueFire

Postby shart2069 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:42 am

I just tested your page with both Internet Explorer 10 (not ready to jump to IE 11 yet) and Firefox 24 (the current "extended service release" / corp IT friendly version), and some is cut off at the top (extends up off the scrollable area of my browser window).

On the first page, the banner at the top that I assume states "Labyrinth Lord compatible" the top half of "Labyrinth Lord" is cut off.

In IE 10 the page from the generator starts with the "Age" line (just barely).

In Firefox 24 I can see the botommost parts of the "g" letters from the "Age" line and a TINY bit of the bottom of other letters.

PC running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit with 1024 x 768 screen resolution.
BLOG: https://almostoldschool.wordpress.com/

http://www.meetup.com/Hudson-Valley-Labyrinth-Looters/

"There are three objectives in D&D: collecting treasure, gaining experience points and, most importantly, staying alive." - What is Dungeons & Dragons? p.86
shart2069

Next

Return to Labyrinth Lord