Show and Tell

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

Show and Tell

Postby liam_c_brennan » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:31 am

I've bought the pdf of the LL rules and I'm looking at printing out a copy (or two) but before I do...I'd like to see some samples and get some advice with regard to binding and presenting them...how is yours bound? Why? How practical is it? Is it durable? Did you need more than one copy? etc...pictures would be nice too! :)...cheers!
“ It’s interesting to note that (Australians) celebrate Easter the same way we do…commemorating the death and resurrection of Jesus, by telling our children (that) a giant bunny rabbit left chocolate eggs in the night. “ - BILL HICKS (1962-1994)
liam_c_brennan

Re: Show and Tell

Postby sniderman » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:13 am

We had a big thread at the old forum that addressed this very thing. Lots of pictures too:

Photos of your LL books

Many of the pictures were of the purchased Lulu tomes, but there are many (MANY) homemade books pictured with instructions as to how they were made. Simple printouts that were spiral-bound to homemade hardcover books with handstitched bindings. Take a look for about 11 full pages of inspiration.

Here's a project I created:

I needed something a bit more "portable" since I travel a bit and like to design MutFut encounters and critters whiloe waiting for a plane or in the hotel room (and even while camping). Anyway, I took a PDF version of the rules, printed them in booklet form, then cut, punched, and placed those 8.5 by 5 pages into a smaller binder. Printed out the cover and back cover as well as a MutFut spine for the binder. Nicely compact and is half the size of the regular book. (An 8.5 by 11 notebook sits behind it for size comparrison.) And it's not so small that I can't read the contents quite comfortably.

In a second 8.5 by 5 binder, I have all of the Skirmisher MutFut Creatures of the Wastelands books, as well as the Apocalypse Tech Report, Esoteric Creature Generator, and other MutFut goodness.
sniderman

Postby jcftao » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:41 am

Something that has worked for me is making a two sided print out and putting into a 3 ring binder with clear cover insert for the cover picture. It works fairly well, but I still would rather have a hard cover book. Keeping my fingers crossed, hoping for a LL/AEC combined book.

I have heard of other folks printing/binding sections into separate books (monsters, magic, players handbook, etc.)
jcftao

Postby Irda Ranger » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:53 am

I use a two-sided print on plain paper from my laser printer. I then cut a manila folder in half and trim the halves down to Letter sized (naturally you could do this with A4 too). The fron and back covers are printed on the manila sheets. All pages and covers are three-hole punched and then tied tightly with twine. Lastly I put a duct-tape binding over spine to cover/tape down the twine.

It's a DIY simulation of a perfect-bound soft cover. It's workmanlike, serviceable and I'm not afraid of spilling coffee or wine on it.
Irda Ranger

Postby liam_c_brennan » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:49 am

thanks guys and thanks for the link, Sniderman (I really dig that original purple hard cover volume!)...I'm thinking I might have to do two versions; one for the shelf and one for the bag....hmmm...lemme get back to you on that!
“ It’s interesting to note that (Australians) celebrate Easter the same way we do…commemorating the death and resurrection of Jesus, by telling our children (that) a giant bunny rabbit left chocolate eggs in the night. “ - BILL HICKS (1962-1994)
liam_c_brennan

Postby oldgamergeek » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:39 am

Irda Ranger wrote:I use a two-sided print on plain paper from my laser printer. I then cut a manila folder in half and trim the halves down to Letter sized (naturally you could do this with A4 too). The fron and back covers are printed on the manila sheets. All pages and covers are three-hole punched and then tied tightly with twine. Lastly I put a duct-tape binding over spine to cover/tape down the twine.

It's a DIY simulation of a perfect-bound soft cover. It's workmanlike, serviceable and I'm not afraid of spilling coffee or wine on it.

My system is very much like yours. here is a link with video on how I do it.
http://www.diybookbinding.com/do-it-you ... k-binding/
"Our community is like a Heavy Metal concert, full of life and passion. Theirs is like a therapy session needing someone to tell them what to do and how to be happy."
oldgamergeek

Return to Open Discussion