Quick Take - NPC Generation

For discussion of the zombie survival horror game.

Quick Take - NPC Generation

Postby Mark » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:49 am

Here's a rough concept for NPC Generation. While it claims to be quick, its not. The generator is pulling in data from 3 different databases for names, home towns, and occupations. I can fix the slow response by caching those results. For the first cut, I wanted comprehensive coverage rather than than speed.

Currently, the generator doesn't handle Paranormal Talents in any way. Additionally, it tries to achieve skills with prereqs by adding the prereq skills at minimal levels. Should the advanced skill show up with appropriate prereq's, it will be added. Doesn't happen often but it does.

I replaced Nationality with Ethnicity. The bulk of my data sources are US Census materials so nationality seemed moot. Occupations are not coordinated with education levels. I plan on trying to make them more coupled. Scores for skills are not calculated. Skill scores are the element I decided to withhold to ensure users owned the book.

Useful?
Mark

Re: Quick Take - NPC Generation

Postby Blood axe » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:33 am

Very neat. I dont see skills with primitive weapons(sword, polearm,etc) being so common in a modern campaign setting. Id also skip the psychic powers myself. But it is an useful tool that can get the bare bones of a character in seconds- then skills can be exchanged or ignored.
AWesome work.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby Mark » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:28 pm

Blood axe wrote:Very neat. I dont see skills with primitive weapons(sword, polearm,etc) being so common in a modern campaign setting. Id also skip the psychic powers myself. But it is an useful tool that can get the bare bones of a character in seconds- then skills can be exchanged or ignored.
AWesome work.

Selection of skills by genre is a good idea. Perhaps Modern, Fantasy, others? PT's will eventually be turned on or off by another option. Once I get them done. Thanks for the feedback.
Mark

Postby Goblinoid Games » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:47 pm

Very cool! I'll make a sticky for resources and link to this.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:34 pm

Goblinoid Games wrote:Very cool! I'll make a sticky for resources and link to this.

Nice, thanks Daniel.

Also, PT's are in, you can turn them on or off as an option. Plus a couple of speed improvements and some improvements on layout.
Mark

Postby Mark » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:18 am

Oops, my optimization introduced a sex/name mismatch. It's fixed. I also added skill score calculation. I was going to leave it out but without the rules, reverse engineering the attributes used would be difficult.
Mark

Return to ROTWORLD