Do you think mutants should look like mutants

For Discussion of all things Mutant Future (especially spidergoats).

Do you think mutants should look like mutants

Postby Atomic Ray » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:28 am

etc.

The idea being, for me at least, that the further off the path you go, the more likely you will become lost.

The path representing humanity...each step off the path is a step away and towards some other aspect...once off the path, it is unlikely that anything will be the same.

So, should the majority of mutations if not all have evident display characteristics?

There are the ones that make sense for this consideration...10-12' tall, 10-12" short, extra limbs, centaur body, tentacles, etc. But what of the ones that are not so up front with potential like the majority of the mental mutations?

As a policy I tend to avoid the superhero aspect of mutations, meaning that the X-Men are fine being beautiful and perfect (though some are weird and wonderful lol) but for the type of gaming that Mutant Future represents I am thinking there should be a ticket to ride the roller coaster.

I usually fix this by having a table of vestigial and cosmetic mutations that are allocated on a one to one basis...a character has 6 mutations and would then have 6 rolls on the weirdo table.

I don't consider this a hindrance or a punishment but rather badges of honor that mutants wear to show the rest of the world just how special they are.

So how about for you? Does it matter either way? Have you considered this before?

Now all that said I have had guys that just wanted one mutation. In this case I just let the player pick the mutation they want without the Weirdo table...my logic on this is that it is only one step off the path, you can still see the path.

A quick example of my chart:

Jo Smith
Mutant Human

Increased Balance
Shriek
Prey Scent
Empathy

If there were an upfront characteristic then that would delete a roll off the Weirdo table. It should be noted that there is a 25% of no change on the Weirdo chart.

The balance mutation could have antenna or other like cilia along the spine, but if not then a roll on the chart...we get a 31% which is a small vestigial arm, player's choice of location.

The shriek is a fun one...I could see an over sized mouth or a tattered soft tissue around the mouth, but if not desired then take a chance with the chart...we get a 78% which is one hand has fingers spread out and fused along the wrist, no loss of strength or dexterity, just weird.

I am sure there are options for prey scent...but I will roll, an 11% no changes.

Empathy...another option for antenna in my book and if the character already had antenna then they could be larger or another pair...or roll, 47% odd skin imperfections...50% of skin is covered in pea sized hard skin growths, player's choice of location.

So nothing that is an actual defect, no minuses to game play...just badges of honor for being a mutant :D

How about you? Like or do not like?
“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Re: Do you think mutants should look like mutants

Postby Atomic Ray » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:20 am

Another thought along these lines is to allow the player to hide a given mutation by giving up another choice.

Example

Hanover Fiste
Mutant Human

(3 phy mutations and 2 men mutations)

(player does not want to be a weirdo if possible and is willing to dump choices)
(due to less chance of being weird looking form mental mutations, he starts there first)

Dual Cerebellum...oh no, 2 brains...he gives up a phy mutations choice to hide the brain within his body cavities
Tinkerer Affinity...he uses another phy mutation choice to hide the mutation
Quickness...no easy look for this one so it will be off to the Weirdo chart as he has no more choices...24% ooooo so lucky, no changes

So here the mutant has absolutely no mutie characteristics...quite rare in my games :)
“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby Gavin » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:35 am

It depends on the type of campaign you are running. If you want to run a straight MF game as the book is written, then sure...they probably should look like "mutants", as in that they are physically transformed in some grotesque manner. However, I'm of the mindset that everyone who runs a campaign is able to imagine their own setting and can dictate character concepts. It all comes down to personal preferences.
Gavin

Postby Atomic Ray » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:54 pm

Gavin wrote:
I'm of the mindset that everyone who runs a campaign is able to imagine their own setting and can dictate character concepts. It all comes down to personal preferences.

That is why I asked :)

To get other personal preferences.
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby Malcadon » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:51 pm

Yeah mutants is my games look like something out of René Laloux's Gandahar (like the multi-headed chieftain at top). I have it - as a house rule - so that the lack of a Bizarre Appearance is a positive mutation in itself.
Malcadon

Location: I'm at your game table, fuled by caffeine and madness!!!

Postby Atomic Ray » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:35 pm

Good call.

Having the Lack of Bizarre Appearance as a positive mutation is spot on in my book.

I tend to exercise a bit of control to the mutations/powers that are game effectors.

This is again not a punishment but rather a balance for the vision I have for the game...I like for mutants to look like mutants...I find that this sort of evidence to be a safety factor for the mundane to stay calm...insert a mutant with telepathy that looks normal, then a mob develops, torches and pitchforks come out, and bad things happen to mutants.

Better to be seen and noticed to avoid persecution.

I like to consider the sociology and psychology of such things...at least in a casual way as above.

"Oh that is Bob the Mindreader"
"Just cross the street and he won't be able to scan you"
"What a weirdo"
"I know right?"

Even if he can read them across the street at least he is not being hunted.
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby Atomic Ray » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:48 pm

Sid the Key Collector
Mutant Human

heightened hearing
night vision
acute sense of smell
fur
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby Atomic Ray » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:58 pm

Another fun touch to the process of accounting for mutations was to step the mutations.

Each mutation started with a 00 step with some going as high as 10 if appropriate.

So if a player has 3 physical mutations and rolls...

Echolocation 00
Night Vision 00
Prehensile Tail 00

So currently these are recessive mutations with only cosmetic characteristics. Each mutation choice comes with a full step, so this player could assign 01 to each or stack one or more for increased value...

Echolocation 02...twice the strength, bonuses, size, and look
Night Vision 01...full value, odd color, large size
Prehensile Tail 00...vestigial, best movement is a gentle wag

I have used this random and step allocation to great effect as the player gets some control of the process but there is still a measure of chaos which in my book, unless we are talking superheroes, mutations are all about chaos.

The step allocation works well with a set number of steps...usually 4 depending on the game, with the player being able to accept a defect mutation to gain another step...for example

This leaves the player with 01 steps so he rolls on the Mental side of the house

Disintegration 00

Oooooooo the player applies the step to this mutation

Disintegration 01...full value, skin around hands where the energy erupts from is burnt and looks charred

The player wants bit more in this last one so takes a roll on the defects, Phy and Men on same table for example...

Simian Deformity 01...ape like body shape

Note the defect starts with a 01 rather than 00.

The player then applies the extra step to the mutation of choice or rolls new one...player changes his mind and rolls a new physical mutation

Increased Balance 00

He decides that the Disintegration sounds better and steps it up one more.

Disintegration 02...twice the strength, skin around hands where the energy erupts from is burnt and looks charred
Increased Balance 00...no bonuses, has prominent pair of antenna on head
Simian Deformity 01...ape like body shape

Anyway, this is just a process.

I like the Mutant Future game thus far and I am looking forward to running a game in the near future.
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby Malcadon » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:23 am

If you are interested, I have made some house rules for MF with part of it covering mutants and mutations.
Malcadon

Location: I'm at your game table, fuled by caffeine and madness!!!

Postby Atomic Ray » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:27 am

Neat stuff indeed.
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Next

Return to Mutant Future