Could someone write up a combat example?

For discussion of the original 1978 rules and for the revised second edition that is entering development.

Could someone write up a combat example?

Postby mindshadow2k » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:54 am

So I have been reading the rules some and just for te life of me am having a hard time following some things as written with armor and such.

In the alien encounters area it reads that armor is a modifier to attack rolls against the creature, but in combat it reads like you want to roll lower than your combat skill so this has me confused.

Also I don't see some details on the character sheet there is a place for defense but none of the armor lists a defense value and the monsters use the term armor instead of defense.

LL you want to roll high (if I remember correctly), but in this it seems you want to roll low.

Thanks to anyone that can help clarify would really like to run this but not sure if I understand it well enough so need the clarification.
mindshadow2k

Re: Could someone write up a combat example?

Postby Goblinoid Games » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:12 pm

So if your character is a 1st level Military Ensign your Combat Skill is 12. If there are no modifiers you need to roll 12 (on a d20) or lower to succeed in an attack. If you attack a rot baboon, it has an armor modifier of -3, so that drops your Combat Skill to 9. Defense for PCs is equivalent to Armor for monsters, but for PCs you will be adding in defense adjustments due to DEX and any modifiers from armor worn. But yes, you want to roll low.

For conversion to LL, if a monster has Armor 0, this is equivalent to AC 9. So Armor -3 = AC 6. In general for conversion to LL, subtract any Armor adjustment for alien creatures from a base of 9 to get an equivalent AC.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby mindshadow2k » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:23 pm

Thanks for walking me through it I am trying to convince my players to convert from our current system to Starships & Spacemen because it would be a more sound system and I love a lot of the stuff that is in it, but we are just trying to get down the rules prior to converting. With that said I think the following is correct but will just post to make sure.

Level 1 Vulcan Scientific/Medical Ensign

DEX: 14 (+1 missile attack bonus)
Combat Skill: 6

Under life threatening danger from a rot baboon fires his Electrostun Gun.
The rot baboon has light cover.

This character would have to roll a 3 (6 combat skill +1 from missile attack bonus -3 armor rating on the rot baboon and -1 from cover) or lower on a 1d20 correct?

Where in the book does it list the defense value for the different armor types for the players? The table on page 28 only lists skill adjustments to their combat skill showing penalties for wearing the armor.

The armor listing under alien encounter may need to be erratta and rewritten from.

"Armor: This number represents the modifier to attack rolls against such creatures. A negative number may reflect natural armor or quickness, while a positive number may reflect physical vulnerability or slowness. "

To:
"Armor: This number represents the modifier to an attackers combat skill against such creatures. A negative number may reflect natural armor or quickness, while a positive number may reflect physical vulnerability or slowness. "
mindshadow2k

Postby Goblinoid Games » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:57 pm

There are only a couple types of armor for PCs, and the attack adjustment is int he description of equipment. For ancient armor see page 28.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby Goblinoid Games » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:58 pm

mindshadow2k wrote:This character would have to roll a 3 (6 combat skill +1 from missile attack bonus -3 armor rating on the rot baboon and -1 from cover) or lower on a 1d20 correct?

Yep!
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby RAD Colin » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:00 pm

mindshadow2k, you've misread page 28. It states, "Armor has a skill modifier that will be applied to the attacker's combat skill each time a skill check is rolled to attack." and "*This modifier is applied to the attacker's combat skill prior to rolling the combat skill check."

In other words, the penalty is applied to the person/creature attacking the individual wearing the armour, NOT the person wearing the armour. It is NOT a penalty to the wearer's combat skill. It shows how effective the armor is at protecting the wearer.

Colin
Radioactive Ape Designs - Award-Nominated Publisher of Atomic Highway and other fine games!
RAD Colin

Postby mindshadow2k » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:04 pm

RAD Colin wrote:mindshadow2k, you've misread page 28. It states, "Armor has a skill modifier that will be applied to the attacker's combat skill each time a skill check is rolled to attack." and "*This modifier is applied to the attacker's combat skill prior to rolling the combat skill check."

In other words, the penalty is applied to the person/creature attacking the individual wearing the armour, NOT the person wearing the armour. It is NOT a penalty to the wearer's combat skill. It shows how effective the armor is at protecting the wearer.

Colin

You are very correct I absolutely did.. I guess that is what I get for reading it at 2am! :)

Thank you very much for holding my hand on this!

I read it as the attacker being the person attacking would take this as a penalty. Thinking that this was a penalty to the person wearing the armor it restraining them from movement or something of the sort.
mindshadow2k

Return to Starships & Spacemen