Favorite Adventure-( new or old) ??

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

Re: Favorite Adventure-( new or old) ??

Postby Vargr1105 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:19 pm

Why am I not surprised Atomic Ray's favorite module is the Fantasy/Sci-fi uber-gonzo "Expedition to the Barrier Peaks"? :)
Vargr1105

Postby Scalydemon » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:03 pm

Right now my favorite is 'Night of the Walking Wet' by Paul Jaquays, but ask me again in a month and I might say something different. I'm a mess :o

Let the red dawn surmise
What we shall do,
When this blue starlight dies
And all is through.

Publisher of AFS Magazine An old school gaming & pulp literature fanzine available in print only http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/
Scalydemon

Postby Spanningtree » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:59 am

Some really great modules here. I think we have all spent a lot of time in Keep on the Borderlands. :D I really like Expedition to the Barrier Peaks too, like D&D meets Gamma World.

My overall fave was/is the epic Queen of the Spiders. It's comprised of G1,2 & 3 (Against the Giants) and then D 1 & 2 (Vault of the Drow, I dig drow), then D 3 (Descent to the Depths of the Earth) and finished off with Q 1 (Queen of the Demonweb Pits). Bloody great gaming. My high school group played pretty much every weekend and it took us about a year to work through. I think most of the party ended up at 15th to 16th level. How often to you get to fight pretty much every kind of giant, do battle with a demi-god, enter the kingdom of the drow and drive a giant machina spider.

Sci-fi I would have to say Prime Base from the Morrow Project.

Really miss the mini-adventures from Dragon Magazine. Need to get some old issues but where to put them....
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Spanningtree

Postby Pelendor » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:48 am

Probably one of the more obscure modules by TSR; "Drums on Fire Mountain" (X8) by Graeme Morris and Tom Kirby was definitely my favourite to Dungeon Master. A trpoical island setting, the whole ecology and culture of the island's inhabitants just worked for me. It was also a wonderfully laid out module - detailed NPCs, players handouts, great maps, lots of illustrations. For me, it really set the ideal production standard for an old school adventure!
Pelendor

Postby tumblingdice » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:51 am

Pelendor wrote:Probably one of the more obscure modules by TSR; "Drums on Fire Mountain" (X8) by Graeme Morris and Tom Kirby was definitely my favourite to Dungeon Master. A trpoical island setting, the whole ecology and culture of the island's inhabitants just worked for me. It was also a wonderfully laid out module - detailed NPCs, players handouts, great maps, lots of illustrations. For me, it really set the ideal production standard for an old school adventure!

Agreed! Those British modules really showed us all how it could be done.
Get thee to the dungeon. Get thee to the dungeon forthwith. Pass not the barbican. Amass not 200 GP.
tumblingdice

Postby Vargr1105 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:34 pm

I have never run or played one, but the interior B&W art is very evocative. Seem more dreamy and fantastic than "normal" old-school D&D art but still carries an element of grittiness.
Vargr1105

Postby oldgamergeek » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:51 pm

Vargr1105 wrote:Fantasy = none, never ran or played a published module. :(

Horror = One of the introductory adventures on the CoC rulebook whose name I can't remember rigtht now. It is the only normal CoC scenario I have ever seen that provides a logical, common sense reason why the group of investigators bands together and investigates, even if none of them know each other beforehand. Must have run it 6 times for different groups as the intro adventure. Shows just how ill-planned, ham-fisted and railroading most other CoC adventures really are.

Sci-Fi = As a Game Master, CHAMAX PLAGUE, one of the only two modules I've ran for Mongoose Traveller, the other being TYPE S. Chamax plague is an Alien's ripoff that was phenomenal to run with an inventive group.
As a player, CROWDED HOURS. the only Traveller adventure I've played and where I lost two PCs, but the second was instrumental in saving the survivors.

oldgamergeek wrote:Sci - Fi = Anomalies for 4th edition Traveller.

Which one is the 4th edition exactly? I know CT = 1st and MT = 2nd .

4th edition was produced in the 90's also known as Marc Miller's traveller the system had a ton of errata but once that was dealt with it wasn't a bad system and anomalies was real cool. It is available at drivethrurpg.
"Our community is like a Heavy Metal concert, full of life and passion. Theirs is like a therapy session needing someone to tell them what to do and how to be happy."
oldgamergeek

Postby Eanwulfe » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:11 pm

My favorite DND module would be Castle Amber. It gives a richly detailed yet not overly complicated world/scenario that most other modules either lack or require a steep learning curve for both GM and players. This is one of a handful of modules I will put into a campaign. This one being especially good as it is made to kick off a campaign.
Eanwulfe

Postby artikid » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:39 pm

Illustrator for hire, see my page on deviantart: http://artikid.deviantart.com/
Find me on Patreon! http://www.patreon.com/artikid
artikid

Postby Roger » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:57 am

Still have a lot of love for the U series, starting with The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh.
Roger

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion