What are you playing?

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

What are you playing?

Postby Adapt » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:47 am

I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone is playing. Obviously, many of us are playing Labyrinth Lord or Mutant Future, but I know that some of us are playing other old school games and retro clones. Aside from that, I know that some of us are probably playing non-old school RPGs as well. My intention here isn't to start a big discussion on the nuances of non-old school games, I'm just curious to see what games everyone is actually playing, planning on playing, or has been wanting to play.
Running: Arizona Territory 1873 (FATE Old West pbp), The Northwest Barony (Labyrinth Lord pbp)
Playing: Night's Dark Terror (Labyrinth Lord pbp)

ADAPT's RPG Blog
My RPGNow Store
Adapt

Re: What are you playing?

Postby Adapt » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:33 am

Running
As some of you know, I'm running a Labyrinth Lord pbp game here called The Northwest Barony. We're using non-AEC Labyrinth Lord with some houserules ("Shields Shall Be Splintered", thieves use the skill system from Lamentations of The Flame Princess, 0-level spells, "on the fly" spell casting, and a few other things). It's set in a relatively low-magic world with a sort of "grim dark ages" vibe, or at least that's what I'm trying to convey. I've got six awesome players (thanks, guys! :D) and it's the first time in ages that I've run anything with a group this large. I'm having a blast with it so far.

I've been running an Old West campaign via email using FATE. I've always thought it looked like an awesome system and hadn't gotten the chance to run it until I started the Old West campaign. I had two players, but one of them dropped out temporarily so I've just been running it with one player for the past two months or so. I love that historical era, and the highly narrative nature of FATE has proven to be a fun match for a single player campaign. I was thinking about opening this up for more players, but I have planned this as a short campaign with a definite ending point, so adding more now might be too late anyways.

Playing
I'm playing in tumblingdice's Night's Dark Terror LL campaign. I was sold the minute I heard he was setting it in good old Karmeikos, and it's been a lot of fun. We've got a great GM and great players - even if nobody trusts my poor, innocent thief. 8-)

I made a druid (one of my favorite classes to play back in the 1st edition AD&D days) for greyarea's Skull Mountain LL AEC pbp, and I'm looking forward to joining the party soon. I also just finished posting my character info to Blood axe's Mutant Future pbp. He's a mutant insect, as was the first character I ever made for Gamma World, so I guess I'm getting back to my roots. ;)

A buddy of mine is about to start running a 1960s mafia campaign using FATE, which I am also looking forward to. We'll be using email to start with, but then hopefully alpha testing a website he's putting together for playing RPG's real-time via chat. Should be fun!

Planning/Want to Play
I've been having fun with the FATE system, and my current Old West campaign is designed to be fairly short. When it's over, I will probably do another FATE campaign. I'm leaning towards setting it in the British isles during The Anarchy or the Danish invasion of Wessex.

I'd love to get a pbp game of Mutant Future going, and have been tinkering with a sandbox setting for quite a while now. I could probably get this up and running pretty quickly, but it's a matter of making sure I have the time to run another game.

I've been wanting to run a zombie campaign for years now, and had planned on using FATE or possibly GORE, depending on how "crunchy" I wanted things to be. When Dan announced Rotworld I nearly pooped myself! :o I was going to get a pbp game going, but I didn't want to steal potential players away from Blood axe's Diner of the Dead game. Now that his game is full, maybe I'll see if anyone is interested in me starting up another one. Of course.. it's zombies.. so people are going to die a lot. Maybe any potential "survivors" will be needed in the diner... ;)

One of these days I'd like to try Savage Worlds. I've own several of the books and it looks like it would be a fun system for high action, pulpy stuff. I haven't given any thought as to what kind of setting I would use. Some of their published settings look like they would be fun, and I'm not normally a big fan of published settings. The Solomon Kane book, in particular, looks intriguing.
Running: Arizona Territory 1873 (FATE Old West pbp), The Northwest Barony (Labyrinth Lord pbp)

ADAPT's RPG Blog
My RPGNow Store
Adapt

Postby Goblinoid Games » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:42 pm

I'm currently running an LL/AEC game every other Sunday at the local game store. I'm using Stonehell Dungeon.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby tumblingdice » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:48 pm

Running
Night's Dark Terror. This is my second adventure on these forums set in The Known World (Mystara) from the old D&D Expert Set. The first was The Sarcophagus Legion, a recent module from Expeditious Retreat Press, written by Andrew Hind for OSRIC.

Playing
Blood axe's Slave Lords saga (AEC), here on these forums.

Star Wars RPG (the old West End Games version) pbp using a WordPress based blog. We've been at it for about two years. The action takes place between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back.

Future
I'd like to play some of the other Goblinoid Games, like Mutant Future. I'd also like to try GURPS and Pathfinder. I have a rule, though: Run one game, play one or two at a time, MAX! :D So those will have to wait.

I'd like to continue running LL games as time allows, including mixing it up with some AEC adventures. At this stage of my life, pbp is the most convenient and enjoyable format. While I don't have time to create my own campaign setting, I would like to create some of my own adventures based in already established settings. Glantri would be a great place for my imagination to run wild, and with one characters in my current game hailing from there... :D
Get thee to the dungeon. Get thee to the dungeon forthwith. Pass not the barbican. Amass not 200 GP.
tumblingdice

Postby greyarea » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:48 pm

Running
Skull Mountain here on the LL forums.

Playing
Nearly every other game on these same forums.

Future
I'd like to try Dungeon Crawl Classics. The magic system really intrigues me.

I'd also love to play a few other classic games (or retro clones) from my youth. Star Frontiers and Top Secret are two I miss playing, without a doubt. And I recall enjoying the first edition of Champions quite a bit: I'd enjoy getting a game of that going.
greyarea

Postby kipper » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:49 pm

Running (PbP):
"Bunnies & Burrows" by FGU.

Playing (PbP):
On GG forum:
Two LL games
One MF/SciFi game
One ROTWORLD game

On other forums:
Two "Hideouts & Hoodlums" games (1930's pulp / superhero, based on OD&D/S&W)
One OD&D 3LBB game
One CARCOSA game, using CHAINMAIL combat
One GANGBUSTERS (TSR) game
kipper

Postby kipper » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:56 pm

Oh, I forgot:

Planning:
I want to run a RoCC game here on this forum, but my plate's too full at the moment to take it on :D.
kipper

Postby Adapt » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:59 pm

kipper wrote:One GANGBUSTERS (TSR) game

I am so jealous! I LOVED that game! :)

ADAPT's RPG Blog
My RPGNow Store
Adapt

Postby austrodavicus » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:24 pm

Our group is playing a homebrew adventure using LL + AEC.
austrodavicus

Postby elf23 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:34 pm

Running:
LL + AEC (we actually started off just LL but I've been allowing more and more of the options from the AEC recently... we have our first multi-class character just created.)

Playing:
AD&D (1st edition)
Warhammer Fantasy RPG (2nd edition)
elf23

Next

Return to Open Discussion