[Fanzine] Gauging Interest

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

What Would Your Involvement Most Likely Be?

I would probably contribute something (art, writing, maps, etc.) to the first issue. I would expect to get a free copy of the PDF at the very least.
32%
I would contribute, but I don't work for free. I would expect a free copy of the PDF plus some type of freelance pay.
8%
I would be willing to pay a nominal fee for a decent fanzine, but I probably won't contribute anything.
48%
It's a fanzine. Heck no I'm not going to pay for it! It should be given out for free.
12%

Total votes : 25

Re: [Fanzine] Gauging Interest

Postby Dyson Logos » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:06 pm

artikid wrote:
greyarea wrote:Another excellent issue, every article was good. I particularly liked the Dwarven Items, the Beast Rider and Bard classes, and the candles. The article on Elves was fascinating.

I wrote the article on elves, thank you :-)

Question for you, artikid - would you allow a magic-user to cast spells while holding a dagger or a staff?
Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Postby artikid » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:18 pm

Dyson Logos wrote:Question for you, artikid - would you allow a magic-user to cast spells while holding a dagger or a staff?

No, I wouldn't.

EDIT: PS, I usually do not count drawing or sheating weapons as an action... I may make a difference in some cases though.
Why the question if I may ask?

Edited twice
Last edited by artikid on Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Illustrator for hire, see my page on deviantart: http://artikid.deviantart.com/
Find me on Patreon! http://www.patreon.com/artikid
artikid

Postby jackel » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:30 pm

Thanks Pete. That makes sense.
jackel

Postby Dyson Logos » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:13 am

artikid wrote:EDIT: PS, I usually do not count drawing or sheating weapons as an... I may make a difference in some cases though.

Just the "self-evident" line in the elf article about not casting spells while wielding a weapon. Most DMs I've played with haven't found it to be problematic for Magic Users to cast spells while wielding weapons, thus it wasn't as "self-evident" as it appeared in the article.
Dyson's Dodecahedron
Dyson Logos

Postby petespahn » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:02 am

I let wizards cast with a staff, but not a dagger. The image of a wizard casting spells holding a staff is too iconic to change. I don't let elves cast whole holding a weapon (the shield can be strapped to their arms). Some players don't like it, but it is what it is.

I'll add that I'm not a big fan of demihuman PCs anyway. . .
Small Niche Games
NEW: Tower of Boon Companions: A Swords & Wizardry WhiteBox adventure for 3rd-5th level characters.
Also check smallnichegames out on Google+
petespahn

Postby artikid » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:34 am

Dyson Logos wrote:
artikid wrote:EDIT: PS, I usually do not count drawing or sheating weapons as an... I may make a difference in some cases though.

Just the "self-evident" line in the elf article about not casting spells while wielding a weapon. Most DMs I've played with haven't found it to be problematic for Magic Users to cast spells while wielding weapons, thus it wasn't as "self-evident" as it appeared in the article.

A question of DM habbits, most DMs I played with would not allow casting without empty hands.
It may indeed not be so "self-evident" at some tables.
BTW I clarified what I meant in my answer above regarding sheating/drawing weapons.
Illustrator for hire, see my page on deviantart: http://artikid.deviantart.com/
Find me on Patreon! http://www.patreon.com/artikid
artikid

Postby Dyson Logos » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:17 am

petespahn wrote:I let wizards cast with a staff, but not a dagger. The image of a wizard casting spells holding a staff is too iconic to change. I don't let elves cast whole holding a weapon (the shield can be strapped to their arms). Some players don't like it, but it is what it is.

The iconic wizard with staff I agree with, but I would put forward that even MORE classic is the image of someone casting a spell while holding a ceremonial knife or sacrificial dagger (often dripping with blood).
Dyson's Dodecahedron
Dyson Logos

Postby petespahn » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:24 pm

Dyson Logos wrote:
petespahn wrote:I let wizards cast with a staff, but not a dagger. The image of a wizard casting spells holding a staff is too iconic to change. I don't let elves cast whole holding a weapon (the shield can be strapped to their arms). Some players don't like it, but it is what it is.

The iconic wizard with staff I agree with, but I would put forward that even MORE classic is the image of someone casting a spell while holding a ceremonial knife or sacrificial dagger (often dripping with blood).

Ah yes that is very Conanesque. I might have to allow that if it ever comes up.
Small Niche Games
NEW: Tower of Boon Companions: A Swords & Wizardry WhiteBox adventure for 3rd-5th level characters.
petespahn

Postby petespahn » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:29 am

Hey just a note to anyone who is thinking of submitting to Issue #4. The release date is going to be pushed back a month, probably to the first week in May. I'm getting down to crunch time on the Guidebook to the City of Dolmvay and I don't want either product to feel rushed. Still plenty of time for submissions!
Small Niche Games
petespahn

Postby Dyson Logos » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:52 am

Looking forward to Dolmvay.

So, if it'll be a May release, what will the submission deadline be? (Hopefully I can wrangle something together).
Dyson's Dodecahedron
Dyson Logos

PreviousNext

Return to Labyrinth Lord