How do you plan to use Realms of Crawling Chaos?

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

How do you plan to use Realms of Crawling Chaos?

Postby Goblinoid Games » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:05 am

Just curious what people have in mind for this. I didn't want to go too far out there in potential PC races but a few additional races that I think would be interesting would be ghouls, serpent people, and...Young of Shub-Niggurath. Might be funky.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Re: How do you plan to use Realms of Crawling Chaos?

Postby The Venomous Pao » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:28 am

Ghouls and Serpent People would have been lovely to have as character classes/races in the book, but I definitely understand your reticence to go beyond the pale in a work that's already, by its very nature, outré.

The first idea that came to mind for me was to start a "normal" campaign in media res where the heroes promptly fail to stop the evil wizard from getting off his "eff everything up" spell, whereupon the party is transported to Lovecraft World (which is more Dreamlands than anything else). To make matters more interesting, in this process they've also been transmuted into the Lovecraftian character classes in RoCC. Now they have to work out a way home, battling the hideous mythos creatures and such along the way. But the real hitch is that as they advance in levels, they undergo some kind of corruption that begins to eat at their underlying humanity and even desire to go home/set things right/etc.

I'm not sure how things would play out, and I'd certainly need willing players to go along with the madness and explore this concept. It's clearly not something I'd spring on a group that was expecting a normal LL campaign.

My other thought is just to make the aforementioned Dreamlands-y setting and play "normal" Labyrinth Lord there. It wouldn't be a complete gonzo thing, but it would still be essentially LL with RoCC as the main spice. It's probably easier to pull off, too, which is a plus.
Old School, New School and other bloggy bits at StrangeStones.com
The Venomous Pao

Postby rabindranath72 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:46 pm

I am going to use RoCC in my new Known World campaign set in the Grand Duchy of Karameikos, with the Mentzer rules. We are at the third session (next Saturday) and the PCs are exploring the ruins described in module B5 Horror on the Hill, which has some elements which can be easily tied to Mythos stuff (e.g. the god/idol described on the doors of the monastery is definitely Tsathoggua).
Regarding the general tone of the campaign, I am not following GAZ1 (which increases the population of the duchy by an order of magnitude w.r.t. the Expert set), rather B10 Night's Dark Terror, which gives a definitely more savage and wild picture of the Grand Duchy.
The humanoid tribes in the dark forests worship Shub-Niggurath, for example. The ancient Hutaaka people worship Nyarlathotep, while the Traladarans, while on the surface are "modern" and with an organised religion centered around the worship of the immortals Halav, Petra and Zirchev, still hold secret rites and festivals along the coasts and worship Dagon.
Also, the cosmology I am using is the one described by Frank Mentzer in the Immortal set, in which there are no gods, only Immortals. And Immortals do not grant spells to the clerics, which acquire their abilities only by study, meditation and faith (essentially serving their alignment.)
One of the players will create a new PC the next session. He wants to play a Cleric, so it might be fun to allow him to play a Sea Blood character! I am not planning to use the other RoCC races (except as NPCs) but all of the rest I will make use of.
rabindranath72

Postby Rogahn's Bluff » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:40 pm

As I've already mentioned, I'll be running a Lovecraftian Greyhawk game drawing on classic modules of yesteryear for inspiration. The traditional fantasy races will remain, although I'll be following the advice on pg.7 and emphasising their inhumanity. Sea Bloods will defintely be playable, just not immediately as the first adventure (a reworking of the Saltmarsh trilogy) will feature them as antagonists. Initially the campaign will be a struggle against a brooding horror threatening a medieval coastal town so there's little scope for subhumans, white apes and such, but as play progresses and the PCs venture further from civilsation (hopefully northwards to an arctic Isle of Dread!) that will change.

Right now I'm jotting a few notes down and getting a sense of how it might all hang together. It's fun!
Rogahn's Bluff

Postby oldgamergeek » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:48 pm

The village of Larm will be visited by certain Cultists soon, very soon. :twisted:
"Our community is like a Heavy Metal concert, full of life and passion. Theirs is like a therapy session needing someone to tell them what to do and how to be happy."
oldgamergeek

Postby bmonroe » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:57 am

I've had this crazy idea for a campaign blending elements from Lovecraft, CA Smith, Lewis Carrol and Robert Chambers for quite a while now. This book will be perfect for it. However, I'm not sure I'll be using the RoCC-specific character races. I might stick with the LL/AEC core to start, and then begin blending in elements from RoCC as the campaign progresses.

I plan for it to be very odd, and gothic in tone. Sort of Ravenloft as envisioned by Tim Burton and Neil Gaiman.
bmonroe

Postby elf23 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:30 am

I've not got the book yet, but I plan to use it 1: for general inspiration, 2: to mine for new spells / monsters / etc, 3: definitely will use the psionics rules, probably in conjunction with the mutation rules from Mutant Future.
elf23

Postby SchoolMaster » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:33 am

I'm contemplating a weird horror fantasy campaign set on Atlantis, or some other legendary "lost continent." A touch of Lovecraft, with a pinch of Vance and CAS, and heaping helping of Doc Howard and Prof. M.A.R. Barker to really spice things up.
Cordially
The School Master

Visit my blog,No School Like The Old School, for more retro gaming madness.
SchoolMaster

Postby baran_i_kanu » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:13 am

I'm going to use it with my own OSR Cthulhu material for historical horror games.
I'll be focusing on Dark Ages, VIkings, and Crusades.
I probably also use it with my OSR Spaghetti Westerns and Pulp WWII games, especially at Game Cons.
Dave B.
http://theosrlibrary.blogspot.com/
baran_i_kanu

Postby scadgrad » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:44 pm

My setting is already heavily infected by the Mythos since many of the more primitive cultures worship some petty god who is in fact, one of the outer gods/great old ones. The new critters are nice, though I haven't compared them to what I already have in the old 1st ed Deities and Demigods. I really like the random artifact chart and expect it will see a good bit of use, probably some of the psionics for the really scary stuff as well.
scadgrad

Next

Return to Labyrinth Lord