game group kicked out of library

For discussion of the Labyrinth Lord Society, Society events, or anything else Society related.

game group kicked out of library

Postby oldgamergeek » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:52 pm

My local Library has kicked us gamers out as these games are banned in her home country and I thought I lived in America. Shows what I know.
"Our community is like a Heavy Metal concert, full of life and passion. Theirs is like a therapy session needing someone to tell them what to do and how to be happy."
oldgamergeek

Re: game group kicked out of library

Postby greyarea » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:02 pm

Where did this happen? And what country is the librarian from? What games?

If it's a public library you can file a complaint with the library board and/or city council (depending on the structure of the library system). Complaints that you are making a mess or are disturbing other patrons could be acceptable reasons for banishment. Complaints that "these games are banned in [my] home country" are not.

Just my two cents from a librarian.
greyarea

Postby tumblingdice » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:43 pm

Two more cents from another librarian. Find out if your library has a meeting room policy stating who can and cannot use the library, how often they may meet, etc. This will give you valuable information on whether you need to lobby for the creation of fair policy, change a current policy, or remind a librarian that she needs to follow an existing policy.

Also, the American Library Association has established both a library bill of rights (check out article VI) and a library code of ethics (check out article VII), both of which should aid your cause.

When I was a kid, my public library either hosted a D&D game, or allowed some older kids to use the meeting room for a game. I thought it was great, got all excited, and soon thereafter bought the basic set. A few months later, though, I learned that the librarian had done an about face, bowing to pressure from those who opposed the game on religious grounds.

Good luck!
Get thee to the dungeon. Get thee to the dungeon forthwith. Pass not the barbican. Amass not 200 GP.
tumblingdice

Postby redwullf » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:16 pm

So, simply saying, "Well, good thing this isn't your home country" and continuing to play wasn't an option, eh?
“The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” E. G. G.
redwullf

Postby Blood axe » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:38 am

Id go above her head. Thats ridiculous. Her "home country"??! WTF?
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby oldgamergeek » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:53 pm

UPDATE! She is no longer employed. When the county attorney found out he went nuclear as in oh please don't sue us into the next century, You people can use the Library meeting room no problem. Seems there are some laws about that in My State about who can use the Library like you know taxpayers.
"Our community is like a Heavy Metal concert, full of life and passion. Theirs is like a therapy session needing someone to tell them what to do and how to be happy."
oldgamergeek

Postby Blood axe » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:26 pm

Maybe she moved back to "her country" and is now working as a Librarian there....
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby redwullf » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:58 pm

I wonder what country she was from that would ban role playing games...? Whatever it is, remind me never to visit there.
“The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” E. G. G.
redwullf

Postby Spanningtree » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:57 pm

You pay taxes?

redwullf wrote:I wonder what country she was from that would ban role playing games...? Whatever it is, remind me never to visit there.

[please no statements that might be interpreted as ethnically insensitive--Dan]

--EDIT-- No insensitivity intended! -Joe
Last edited by Spanningtree on Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Spanningtree

Postby Goblinoid Games » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:57 pm

Man, bizarre! At least it got settled.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Return to Labyrinth Lord Society